android
  #1  
Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Diatribeeq Diatribeeq is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Default Alternate Install Software site?

Just got my 16gig Zune HD (I am a serious "Anything but iPod" person, before I even knew of this place, heh), but after getting the thing home, hooking it up to my PC and naturally wanting to do 2 things:

A) Make sure it's 100% charged
B) Make sure it's 100% updated (via firmware & synced to my PC)

Oh, it's 100% charged now, but the www.zune.net site is 100% down for maintenance & I can't do anything with it and there appears to be zero idea on when it's going to come back up.

So, is there anywhere else I can possibly get the install software to allow me to actually get my new player synced up? Or is my day pretty much shot?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
NSILMike NSILMike is offline
Sub-Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 233
Default

yup!
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Diatribeeq Diatribeeq is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Great, thanks! Other than perhaps a firmware update, I should be good to go.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Diatribeeq Diatribeeq is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Haha, now that's funny. The main Zune site is down, but after I get the player software installed, it is able to bypass all that and install & apply the 4.5 firmware update. Ah well, good for me, eh?

BTW, small oops on my part: I told it to sync one of my music folders. And that bad boy is roughly 10gigs. Whoops. Guess I'll find something to do while it's doing that, eh?
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
NSILMike NSILMike is offline
Sub-Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribeeq View Post
Haha, now that's funny. The main Zune site is down, but after I get the player software installed, it is able to bypass all that and install & apply the 4.5 firmware update. Ah well, good for me, eh?

BTW, small oops on my part: I told it to sync one of my music folders. And that bad boy is roughly 10gigs. Whoops. Guess I'll find something to do while it's doing that, eh?
I believe...but am not positive...that the big pkg included firmware. Could you tell if it was installing from a local vs. a 'net location?
Also, I have an HD 16. My collection is about 20gigs of music, plus a bunch of podcasts. I fooled around for a while with sync modes and decided 'let me choose' is best for a collection too big to fit. It's automatic within sync groups you define. And those can be artists, albums, genre's, and playlists. My sync groups are only autoplaylists, and that works great. You can define them pretty flexibly (top 100, 'likes', forgotten, classical, etc.) and they auto-refresh based on your filters.

You can interrupt sync with no bad effects by the way.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Diatribeeq Diatribeeq is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Default

I won't be 100% sure of this one, but it "felt" like it downloaded an itty bitty firmware update, but either way, I'm happy with the result. Yes, it was a real b*tich getting it all setup (seriously Microsoft, not having any other means of the software other than ONE publicly known site?), but I'm there now.

Question though, once it's all done, are things done up (via the Zune) the same display as my PC? In that, I have a main artist icon, then I open it up and there's all the sub folders (i.e. albums)?
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 PM
NSILMike NSILMike is offline
Sub-Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribeeq View Post
I won't be 100% sure of this one, but it "felt" like it downloaded an itty bitty firmware update, but either way, I'm happy with the result. Yes, it was a real b*tich getting it all setup (seriously Microsoft, not having any other means of the software other than ONE publicly known site?), but I'm there now.

Question though, once it's all done, are things done up (via the Zune) the same display as my PC? In that, I have a main artist icon, then I open it up and there's all the sub folders (i.e. albums)?
No...it uses the library concept. You set the folders containing your music as monitored folders (slightly different if you have win7...but if you do, you already know the library concept.) Folders are irrelevant to zune software, except that it must know where they are.
Your collection (term for your stuff on the PC) is displayed by artist, by album, by song, or by genre'. This is all completely dependent on the content metadata. But, in each display choice you will see and be able to select by album, or by song and so on...it's logical and well organized.
On the device, it's similar. So forget about folders, and don't worry about your folder organization (which is still valid for your own sanity) as it is ignored by the software.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
roguemat roguemat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribeeq View Post
I won't be 100% sure of this one, but it "felt" like it downloaded an itty bitty firmware update, but either way, I'm happy with the result.
If their site is down it doesn't necessarily mean that all services are down, especially those coming off a CDN
__________________
Follow me on twitter and check out my blog
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Diatribeeq Diatribeeq is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
No...it uses the library concept. You set the folders containing your music as monitored folders (slightly different if you have win7...but if you do, you already know the library concept.) Folders are irrelevant to zune software, except that it must know where they are.
Your collection (term for your stuff on the PC) is displayed by artist, by album, by song, or by genre'. This is all completely dependent on the content metadata. But, in each display choice you will see and be able to select by album, or by song and so on...it's logical and well organized.
On the device, it's similar. So forget about folders, and don't worry about your folder organization (which is still valid for your own sanity) as it is ignored by the software.
Yeah, I went out on an hour & half walk earlier with this and it worked like a champ (kinda bummed there's no backlighting for dim places), and I found out how it works (in the default settings at least) when I select my artist and then simply want to view songs, in that it breaks it down alphabetically for it all. I'd just like to get it to where it was:

Artist
*click*
Albums Displayed
*click desired album* & either select the Play Album option or go into that album & select an individual song.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribeeq View Post
Yeah, I went out on an hour & half walk earlier with this and it worked like a champ (kinda bummed there's no backlighting for dim places), and I found out how it works (in the default settings at least) when I select my artist and then simply want to view songs, in that it breaks it down alphabetically for it all. I'd just like to get it to where it was:

Artist
*click*
Albums Displayed
*click desired album* & either select the Play Album option or go into that album & select an individual song.
What do you mean by backlighting? The Zune HD's screen requires no backlight of any sort due to the fact that it's OLED; the pixels generate their own light. This produces deeper blacks and a thinner screen.

Last edited by weedalin; 06-26-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Cruleworld's Avatar
Cruleworld Cruleworld is offline
ABI Invaluable
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In a secluded cave
Posts: 2,728
Default

A traditional back-lit screen doesn't just use the back light but also reflects the ambient light like the sun for a brighter picture.
__________________
Players: Zune 30GB (Music), iPod Touch 8GB 2g (Apps/Podcasts), Zune HD 32GB (sold to brother)
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.