android
Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Default Alternate Install Software site?

Just got my 16gig Zune HD (I am a serious "Anything but iPod" person, before I even knew of this place, heh), but after getting the thing home, hooking it up to my PC and naturally wanting to do 2 things:

A) Make sure it's 100% charged
B) Make sure it's 100% updated (via firmware & synced to my PC)

Oh, it's 100% charged now, but the www.zune.net site is 100% down for maintenance & I can't do anything with it and there appears to be zero idea on when it's going to come back up.

So, is there anywhere else I can possibly get the install software to allow me to actually get my new player synced up? Or is my day pretty much shot?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

yup!
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM

Great, thanks! Other than perhaps a firmware update, I should be good to go.

Thanks again.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:02 PM

Haha, now that's funny. The main Zune site is down, but after I get the player software installed, it is able to bypass all that and install & apply the 4.5 firmware update. Ah well, good for me, eh?

BTW, small oops on my part: I told it to sync one of my music folders. And that bad boy is roughly 10gigs. Whoops. Guess I'll find something to do while it's doing that, eh?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribeeq View Post
Haha, now that's funny. The main Zune site is down, but after I get the player software installed, it is able to bypass all that and install & apply the 4.5 firmware update. Ah well, good for me, eh?

BTW, small oops on my part: I told it to sync one of my music folders. And that bad boy is roughly 10gigs. Whoops. Guess I'll find something to do while it's doing that, eh?
I believe...but am not positive...that the big pkg included firmware. Could you tell if it was installing from a local vs. a 'net location?
Also, I have an HD 16. My collection is about 20gigs of music, plus a bunch of podcasts. I fooled around for a while with sync modes and decided 'let me choose' is best for a collection too big to fit. It's automatic within sync groups you define. And those can be artists, albums, genre's, and playlists. My sync groups are only autoplaylists, and that works great. You can define them pretty flexibly (top 100, 'likes', forgotten, classical, etc.) and they auto-refresh based on your filters.

You can interrupt sync with no bad effects by the way.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 PM

I won't be 100% sure of this one, but it "felt" like it downloaded an itty bitty firmware update, but either way, I'm happy with the result. Yes, it was a real b*tich getting it all setup (seriously Microsoft, not having any other means of the software other than ONE publicly known site?), but I'm there now.

Question though, once it's all done, are things done up (via the Zune) the same display as my PC? In that, I have a main artist icon, then I open it up and there's all the sub folders (i.e. albums)?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
I won't be 100% sure of this one, but it "felt" like it downloaded an itty bitty firmware update, but either way, I'm happy with the result. Yes, it was a real b*tich getting it all setup (seriously Microsoft, not having any other means of the software other than ONE publicly known site?), but I'm there now.

Question though, once it's all done, are things done up (via the Zune) the same display as my PC? In that, I have a main artist icon, then I open it up and there's all the sub folders (i.e. albums)?
No...it uses the library concept. You set the folders containing your music as monitored folders (slightly different if you have win7...but if you do, you already know the library concept.) Folders are irrelevant to zune software, except that it must know where they are.
Your collection (term for your stuff on the PC) is displayed by artist, by album, by song, or by genre'. This is all completely dependent on the content metadata. But, in each display choice you will see and be able to select by album, or by song and so on...it's logical and well organized.
On the device, it's similar. So forget about folders, and don't worry about your folder organization (which is still valid for your own sanity) as it is ignored by the software.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I won't be 100% sure of this one, but it "felt" like it downloaded an itty bitty firmware update, but either way, I'm happy with the result.
If their site is down it doesn't necessarily mean that all services are down, especially those coming off a CDN

Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
No...it uses the library concept. You set the folders containing your music as monitored folders (slightly different if you have win7...but if you do, you already know the library concept.) Folders are irrelevant to zune software, except that it must know where they are.
Your collection (term for your stuff on the PC) is displayed by artist, by album, by song, or by genre'. This is all completely dependent on the content metadata. But, in each display choice you will see and be able to select by album, or by song and so on...it's logical and well organized.
On the device, it's similar. So forget about folders, and don't worry about your folder organization (which is still valid for your own sanity) as it is ignored by the software.
Yeah, I went out on an hour & half walk earlier with this and it worked like a champ (kinda bummed there's no backlighting for dim places), and I found out how it works (in the default settings at least) when I select my artist and then simply want to view songs, in that it breaks it down alphabetically for it all. I'd just like to get it to where it was:

Artist
*click*
Albums Displayed
*click desired album* & either select the Play Album option or go into that album & select an individual song.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I went out on an hour & half walk earlier with this and it worked like a champ (kinda bummed there's no backlighting for dim places), and I found out how it works (in the default settings at least) when I select my artist and then simply want to view songs, in that it breaks it down alphabetically for it all. I'd just like to get it to where it was:

Artist
*click*
Albums Displayed
*click desired album* & either select the Play Album option or go into that album & select an individual song.
What do you mean by backlighting? The Zune HD's screen requires no backlight of any sort due to the fact that it's OLED; the pixels generate their own light. This produces deeper blacks and a thinner screen.

Last edited by weedalin; 06-26-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 PM
ABI Invaluable

A traditional back-lit screen doesn't just use the back light but also reflects the ambient light like the sun for a brighter picture.