android
Old 06-20-2010, 06:34 AM

Default How is the web browser on the HD?

I know there's no flash or tabbed browsing but is it good enough for daily use on sites like this one, engadget, etc?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

It's good enough for daily use, but there are some drawbacks to it.

-It caches the last few websites you visisted, and short of powering it down, it doesn't clear that cache, nor can you customize the amount that is cached. So, if you visit an image-heavy website, the next few websites you visit will be covered in red Xs.

-On a modern smartphone, you can download all kinds fo files just by "clicking" on them as you would a desktop browser. On the Zune HD, you can only download images by pressing on them.

-Javascript still gives the browser some issues, but it's greatly improved over what it once was.

Also, I did a speed test againt an WinMo (Standard) phone, and an Iphone, on the smae wifi connection (3G disabled on the phones). Here's the results. Keep in mind that this was before the 4.5 update with the Javscript changes, so the browser is actually faster now than it was in that test. It will actually load the Full Facebook site now, for example.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 AM

It's not as fast as the iTouch. The WiFi range is smaller than that of an iTouch. I wouldn't depend on it. If you're in a place that offers WiFi (Starbucks, airport, etc.) you will be able to connect. In my school, for example, WiFi is very spotty. I don't think the internet browser is a key feature of the ZHD and I, myself, don't use it daily. If you need to just look up an address, a phone number or a sports score, it's perfect for that. Larger sites load somewhat slowly, but are fully functional.

@medion
iPhone shouldn't be slower than an iTouch right? Cause I was testing against my friend's iTouch and his won in just about everything.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 AM

thanks for the info guys

Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvarice View Post
It's not as fast as the iTouch. The WiFi range is smaller than that of an iTouch. I wouldn't depend on it. If you're in a place that offers WiFi (Starbucks, airport, etc.) you will be able to connect. In my school, for example, WiFi is very spotty. I don't think the internet browser is a key feature of the ZHD and I, myself, don't use it daily. If you need to just look up an address, a phone number or a sports score, it's perfect for that. Larger sites load somewhat slowly, but are fully functional.

@medion
iPhone shouldn't be slower than an iTouch right? Cause I was testing against my friend's iTouch and his won in just about everything.
I object.

My sister has the latest gen itouch. We went to eat at a resturaunt. I found four access points and could connect to the public one. My sister couldn't find a single one.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:

@medion
Two things. Firstly, I used to think that the Ipod Touch was faster...until I tesed with a stopwatch. Bottom line is that there's a difference between subjective and actual. I'd urge you to do some real tests.

Secondly, the devices get data at roughly the same speed off the same source, so all that's left is how fast the browser can render the data it's given. The browser's efficiency, as well as the device's raw processing power come into play here. I was comparing a Zune HD to an Iphone 3G (which has the same CPU and clock speed as the gen 1 Ipod Touch). The 2nd Gen Ipod touch is overclocked, while the 3rd gen has a Cortex A8. Bottom line is, both of those devices should process faster than the Iphone 3G (especially the 3rd gen Ipod Touch).

There is no doubt in my mind that the Ipod Touch's web browser is more efficient, and any speed advantage the Zune HD has is due to the processing power of Tegra.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like you know what you're doing...
I figured the difference was from Safari beating IE rather than a difference in CPU power.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like you know what you're doing...
I figured the difference was from Safari beating IE rather than a difference in CPU power.
WebKit (rendering engine of Safari and Chrome that is an Apple-made derivative of KHTML, the engine of the Konqueror browser of KDE fame) generally is faster/more efficient than Trident (the rendering engine of IE; generally ridiculed by most of the online community, and rightly so).
But I think the Zune HD makes up for it on the less complex sites with the Tegra.