android
Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Default j3 and aac/m4a

Would just like to point this out in case it saves someone time, or if someone has a solution to this.

Whilst the j3 supports m4a/aac files even though its not listed in specs, it will not support album art for these file types. To get album art working on the j3, the file has to be mp3, and the album art has to actually be embedded in the id3 tag (not just a reference to "folder.jpg" , "cover.jpg" etc). I've also noticed the same thing applies to .wma files. Album art will not display.

If you are a perfectionist like me who wants to have album art for all albums, don't spend a huge long time transferring 1000+ m4a files to your j3, only to realise that you need to take them off again, convert them to mp3, embed the album art, then transfer them a second time.

I am now going through the process of converting 1000 songs from m4a to mp3, which i think is going to take a fair while.

Has anyone been able to get album art to display on the j3 for m4a/aac files?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Question: Have you tried dragging & dropping the AAC files into their prospective folders on the J3, then placing a .jpg cover art file in the folder as well? I'm not sure if this will work for you, as I don't own a J3/S9 to test it out.

Hope this is a solution for you,...

tds01

Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As DarkSide says, put a copy of the art in each album folder. Make sure it is named cover.jpg.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Wink it works

Hey mattjcl I'm just doing what dark side said and it worked, actually it works on my I9 buy i suppose it must be the same on j3, what i did is simple put the same image in the folder and rename it as cover.jpg and it is done, i hope you could get to do it as well. good luck.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 PM

ah ok I haven't tried this, I'll try that now. I've been using winamp so i haven't actually been dragging and dropping anything, so when i tried naming the files cover.jpg, winamp must not have transferred them as well.

Thanks for replies all.

edit: Worked, thanks.

Last edited by MattJCL; 06-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad it worked for you guys, since I remembered that this was the solution that seemed to be the most effective for most Cowon owners. I did it when I had issues w/my D2 back in the day.

The S9 I had, I never had a problem w/it - J. River Media Jukebox always synced my album art. Media Monkey,.......it's funny sometimes, so I try to tag w/J.River if there's issues.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 AM

Default Another problem with m4a/aac files... :(

Sorry to flood with problems, but after checking through my music library I've concluded that my j3 is listing songs alphabetically instead of album order (viewing by artist/album lists of course) for all my albums that are .m4a format.

I've checked that they've all got track numbers in their tags.
Any solutions? I hope I don't have to include the track number in the song title to fix this...

Old 06-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, the J3 doesn't read AAC/M4A tags. Of course Cowon doesn't claim it even plays the files. I suspect it's a licensing issue.

It is possible the J3 might get a firmware update that addresses the issue. Until then, you'll need to rename the files to make them appear in album order.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:19 AM

Threads merged.