android
Old 12-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Help Anyway for Rockbox not to play a podcast during shuffling all?

I have lots of music and a few podcasts, is there anyway to flag the podcast to not be played during shuffling?

I know there are workarounds, but I like the variety I get when I go to genre, play all....

Perhaps there is not a way, but was just wondering if anyone knew of one.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-09-2008, 09:08 PM

I just create a playlist called "all music". I like more generalized genre tags (i.e. rock, pop, country, etc.) rather than being specific, so it only takes me about 5 or 6 clicks to add all genre's except podcast and audiobook to a playlist to get all of them. I use that playlist more than any others actually.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Has anyone found another solution to this? I add/remove too much music to constantly have to update an All Music playlist. I've got several comedy albums on my player that I want to keep out of the rotation when young ears are nearby. Has someone come up with a way to flag files to keep them out of shuffle as the OP asked?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Couple ways I can think of:

Use file browser and put your music in one folder and podcasts in another, then just shuffle the music folder.

Use the database and put the podcasts in a folder thats not included in the database.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM

Thanks, Saratoga. Your post gave me a few more keyword search ideas.

The solution I am trying out today is to add the the empty database.ignore file to the folders I don't want included. I've been trying to get it to work, but it appears to still list the files in the database. Many of the wiki pages on the subject are no longer available (404), so I'm going to dig a little deeper.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Solution to issue

I've found one solution that works, and I am very pleased with it.

Internet references say to create an empty file titled database.ignore and place this file into whichever directory/file/subfile you wish to exclude from the database. Creating the file myself did not work; however, there is an ignore.database file already in the .rockbox folder. So, if you want to flag or exclude podcasts, songs, or any other file from your database simply copy the database.ignore file from the .rockbox folder and paste it into the folder you wish to exclude. Refresh your database, and you're good to go.

If you want to get fancy, the one thing I have not tried is if you want a directory ignored but a subdirectory scanned. If a subdirectory of an 'ignored' directory should still be scanned, place a file named database.unignore in it. That will ignore the main directory but include the subfolder.

Hope this helps someone. I know I am very relieved that Dennis Leary will not be making an unexpected appearance when innocent ears are nearby.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajenkatt View Post
Creating the file myself did not work
Maybe you have file extensions hidden on your Windows system, and your self-created file was named database.ignore.txt or something similar?

The database.ignore file is just an empty file, and a wrong (hidden) extension would be the only issue I could think of.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Maybe you have file extensions hidden on your Windows system, and your self-created file was named database.ignore.txt or something similar?

The database.ignore file is just an empty file, and a wrong (hidden) extension would be the only issue I could think of.
I'm sure you're right, and it is something very simple that I overlooked. Once I realized the file was already in the .rockbox folder, I thought I'd post that info here. That way, less technical folks can just cut and paste and not have to ask how to create the database.ignore file ad nauseum.