android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 06-19-2010, 05:40 PM

Unhappy Am I the only one who thinks the back button should be on the right side?

By using the HD one-handed almost all the time, I've been greatly bothered by how I have to reach across (pretty far) to hit the back button. My thumbs are pretty normal, not too long or too short, yet i have to reposition my hands every time I want to hit back. I'd rather be able to keep my hand in the same spot and do whatever I want to do. Plus it's very uncomfortable.

I'm just wishing there was an option to move the back (or return) arrows to the right or the left side. However, this is mainly a right-handed complaint. If you're left-handed, the arrow is in the perfect spot I think.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

are you serious?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Sorry.. But Not To Just Trash Your Thread. I Disagree

I Am Right Handed But When I Do Use My Zune With One Hand I Go To The Left Hand
I Feel It Is Much Easier And Accessible With The Arrow On The Left Side.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Odd, I'm right handed but I always control the Zune with my left.
Honestly, though, that's too specific a request. I understand asking for something as large as a customizable EQ that a lot of people would use, but since this feature doesn't concern that many people...

I wouldn't put my hopes on this coming.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

I want a forward button. Instead of just a back button.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM

I'm surprised no one else agrees with the OP here. While I don't find the issue to be extremely annoying, it is definitely something I've thought about. I remember reading about the inconsistency in going back in the Zune HD's interface - sometimes it's the little back arrow and sometimes it's a zoomed-in portion of the word you tapped. The zoomed-in words span the entire top of the screen, seems they should have done that for the back button as well, so that it wouldn't be a lefty vs righty thing going on.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This thread brings up a good issue. I know left handed and right handed people, and have a mom and one sister that are left handed. I see no reason why a UI can't be user selectable for right or left handed use. I see no reason why a "back" button can't be put exactly where the device owner wants it. It will take a few threads like this to bring the issue forward so that maybe MS will get word of it and be the first company to go there. I'll bet there are more than a few left handers working the Microsoft.

So Thygriever ~ Thanks for starting this thread.

Last edited by Olley; 06-20-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:51 PM

Maybe there can be an option for left hand and right hand... just a thought.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
are you serious?
I am quite serious.

Thanks for everyone that supports the thought! Thanks Icky, Olley & Brian. I was merely asking if anyone felt the same way so it's quite disappointing that some of you are so peeved about the request. It's not another "I WANT YOUTUBE APP" thread or a slight nit pick but an actual item that MAY heavily improve ease of usability.

Anyhow I'm glad some people do agree even though some of you don't. I'm just asking for almost a "left-hand or right-handed" option like Briankealing said. In a way which can open up a new ability - full one-handed use, because I cannot use the zunehd one-handed. Take it how you want it

Old 06-19-2010, 11:56 PM

you must have really small hands, mine are relatively small, and i have no trouble reaching across to hit the arrow

Old 06-19-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
you must have really small hands, mine are relatively small, and i have no trouble reaching across to hit the arrow
It really depends on your hand size. I'm not sure about your age or build but my hand size is common among most of my friends in College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickbernal27 View Post
Sorry.. But Not To Just Trash Your Thread. I Disagree

I Am Right Handed But When I Do Use My Zune With One Hand I Go To The Left Hand
I Feel It Is Much Easier And Accessible With The Arrow On The Left Side.
Okay I understand. But then again I'm asking for some customization for people that use a device primarily in their right hand. I'm sure the majority of right handed people use the Zune mostly with their right handed.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:28 AM

well im in highschool, and most of my friends have larger hands than i do, it probably depends on how you hold the player, i have my thumb verticle along the left side, with the end of my pointer on the side button, so that the bottom left corner of the screen is about in the center of my palm, or i rest the entire player on my fingers, both ways my thumb can freely press anywhere on the screen

Old 06-20-2010, 04:38 AM

Ahh I'm trying out how you're holding it but are you referring to holding the zune with your left hand? when you said the bottom left corner of the screen is in the center of your palm, that sounds like the player is in your left hand?

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM

At first, I was like "no, it fills the book analogy", but it does make sense. But then again, what's wrong with using your other hand?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 PM

I agree with the OP. It should be on the right side. Most people are right handed and it is uncomfortable to reach the left side with the right hand.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Or to expand the idea even further...
I'd like the option to:

Select which side the back button is
Flip Quickplay and menu (swap sides)
Customize location of buttons on browser
Change location of "New" "Recent" and "Pinned"

Maybe even custom UI designs. That would be kickass.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

All of that customization sounds pretty awesome, even though I don't have much of a problem with this. I started reading thinking "this is ridiculous" and ended up really hoping some of these settings make the next update!

But in the meantime, all you people with problems with this, it sounds like you just need to adjust your hand position. How you're holding it. I think that if your fingers are long enough, I suggest holding it between the tip of your middle finger and the first knuckle on your pointer finger (where the finger meets the hand) and this way, you can easily reach the entire screen with your thumb.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

One nice capability of humans is that we can adapt to and still use crappy tools. The grace of us though, is that we can make a new tool or refine the ones we have to make them less crappy. It looks like it takes the government force us to make devices more accessible though. I'll blame an inefficient device/UI on ignorance of the fact that all humans aren't alike. Inexperience maybe. If only this wasn't the first touchscreen device MS had worked on.