android
Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Unhappy Samsung YP-R1 8GB for 60 - Should I buy?

Play.com are selling 8GB YP-R1s for 59.99. The trouble is reviews are very mixed. On one hand I don't want to miss out on the offer but I also don't want to rush into it. The main problem people cite is battery life but 1) it's generally linked to the use of a sound improving feature which I doubt I will use and 2) I don't really plan to use it for long periods and it will be a darn sight better than my dying ZenV...

What I AM worried about is the GUI. I have never owned anything with a touch screen before and don't know whether I will like it much.

I have looked at some threads about it but again they are generally mixed. What I am asking is in my situation and at the current price, should I buy it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 AM

if you're still considering it, the samsung r0 (16gb) is 40 on here:
http://www.plugonit.co.uk/product/samsung-yp-r0jes

mine arrived this morning, so if it was a mis-price (the 8gb's the same price) they're honouring it and have still to fix the listing...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM

Smile Wow

Wow thanks for the link. The YP-R1 is no longer reduced (back up to ~100). Kinda wish I had got it now as managed to find a favourable review at techradar.com today. Will look into you're recommendation based on how cheap it is. Have you posted it on HotDeals?

Edit: ~5 more on Amazon but free delivery...

Edit2: Looks pretty good in this video review but i'm wondering if it's the same one as there is no mention of video capabilities on the page you linked.

Last edited by Zig13; 06-21-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Disable embedd

Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 AM

It was the r1 I was looking at originally too, but the lack of any buttons and their own connector was something I wasn't entirely keen on (quite like being able to skip whilst it's in a pocket and use a standard usb cable). guess the micro sd card slot's a plus too.

it's bizarre just how much range there is on the price if you seach for samsung r0 on amazon - looks like the same 'end seller' (hughes direct) for this one though the 8gb's 40 from them on there too - maybe it is a genuine price for it and they're just getting rid of stock? feel free to post it over on hukd if you fancy.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 AM

re: video, going by the box, apparently so:

changed to link due to size:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jzf-0G-NXs4/TB...w/s1152/r0.jpg

Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 AM

There are mentions in this forum of firmware issues (and in-fact in this review there seemed to be a bit of a problem). That's put me off a bit. As someone presumably using the latest firmware, have you had any problems? BTW I am not a member of Hot UK Deals and i can't be bothered to sign up - was just asking out of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freneticvirus View Post
re: video, going by the box, apparently so
It's actually on the linked site but I missed it :P . Thanks for going to the effort of photographing the box though

Last edited by Zig13; 06-21-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Update

Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 AM

really can't say - so far all i've done is stick on the latest firmware (it was at 1.06) and started uploading my playlist to it. it's only around half way through now.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 AM

In badly translated French:

"It seems that the Korean engineers have finally decided to stop it poorly and have taken a little more time to develop the new firmware 1.19. I do not hide my relief because these bugs really ruined the potential of this small player
Among the improvements compared to firmware 1.17, we note:
-FLAC support improved
-Crash at the end of an album / folder corrected
-SHIFT automatic manual library does not crash

Unfortunately, the track numbers of FLAC and OGG are still not recognized and the album art for FLAC, WMA, OGG and AAC but still do not appear in any case, the most important bugs are fixed now"
- From Generation MP3 site

Since I plan to mainly use .ogg this is a tad disappointing but i suppose it's a better state of affairs than those previously described

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Samsung Moderator

You could ask me if you wanted a translation, I'm also the guy who writes things about Samsung DAP on gmp3

Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM

You won't regret it for 40. I bought one for 45 through the same company a month or so ago. Bought it to use whilst flying as most airlines wont allow me to use a phone even in flight mode. Managed to brick the first unit transferring music to it despite reading this forum. Got the 2nd one and has so far been running fine thanks to reading lebellium's posts properly this time.

My only disappointment with it is the screen, its clear but when viewing from angles the colour distorts significantly. Especially when watching films from above it makes the image too dark to view properly which is annoying, the display isn't a patch on the one in my Sony-Ericsson w995. I presume this is down to the screen used in the device and not a faulty unit.

That said music playback is great and loud too. Installed the latest firmware with the lebellium's custom UIs which are great.

My last dedicated mp3 player was a Sony NW-A808 which I loved, overall I would say the R0 doesn't quite match the quality or stability but for 40 it can't be knocked.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Samsung Moderator

The R0's screen format and resolution do not really fit for videos. A R1 or P3 is better for watching movies.

The A808 could have been a great player but.... MTP + sonicstage argggg

Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm thinking I must have had the 818 then as I never used Sonicstage with it. I did use Sonicstage in the past with older Sony MP3 and MiniDisc players, it was a truly terrible and pointless piece of software.

Totally agree the screen is not ideal for size and aspect ratio, but does the job for watching a few episodes of Family Guy. I would have loved to have bought the R1, but cheapest I could find when I was looking was around 80 for the 8gb version against 45 for the 16gb R0 and I just couldn't justify it.

Tags
gui, offer, play.com, samsung, yp-r1