android
Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Default Which hard drives work with zen vision m?

ive broken mi original hitatchi hard drive inside mi zen vision m and need to know what model hard drive to replace it with! it uses the ZIF connector..anyone have any solutions..what you think of the Toshiba MK3008GAL 30GB? HELP ME PLEASE

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-19-2010, 02:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

replace with one that is like what broke.Google the model number or search Ebay for one by model number.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:18 PM

its the hitatchi one..but its out of my budget..oh by the way 'coachop94' iv'e seen your posts regarding cf memory and noticed it worked out quite well for you ive purchased a kingston 16gb cf card off ebay for 50$ .. it hasnt arrived yet but any tips on getting this to work? also does it matter on the zif to cf adaptor or do they all do the same job? thanks

Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
replace with one that is like what broke.Google the model number or search Ebay for one by model number.
its the original hitatchi one..but its out of my budget..oh by the way 'coachop94' iv'e seen your posts regarding cf memory and noticed it worked out quite well for you ive purchased a kingston 16gb cf card off ebay for 50$ .. it hasnt arrived yet but any tips on getting this to work? also does it matter on the zif to cf adaptor or do they all do the same job? thanks

Old 06-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I purchased & installed the exact same items as the original poster had. I have not had any problems with the player.The drive does not load as fast as a regular hardrive but that is the only negative (not really one). Remember not all CF cards work that is why I purchased the exact same components.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I purchased & installed the exact same items as the original poster had. I have not had any problems with the player.The drive does not load as fast as a regular hardrive but that is the only negative (not really one). Remember not all CF cards work that is why I purchased the exact same components.
hmm but does the kingston one 16gb work? sum1 was saying the 32gb version of it worked..? also how was it after u put it in ur zen i.e. what procedures did u have to follow after that? and im sure people were saying it started up in like 2 seconds wit a cf card?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:31 PM

I have a 8GB Kingston CF card in my ZVM and a 32GB Kingston CF card in my Zen Touch and they both work well. Sometimes when I have just started the ZVM and I start playing a song it will "stutter" for 2 or 3 seconds before playing normally. I am not sure if it is because of the CF card, though. I bought 2 broken ZVM:s from Ebay and I could get one of them working. It was pretty beat up though, so this "stuttering" might be due to the former owners mistreatment...

I have got a used 20GB Hitachi Travelstar that I will put in the Zen Touch and then I can put the 32GB CF card in the ZVM. The CF mods on older Creative players are quote straight forward and easy to do and they work great.
If I remember correctly, I could not load firmware on the ZVM on the first try, but on the second attempt it worked. So with a bit of patience you can get it working. Just get the correct CF card adapter (CF card to 1.8" zif if you have the 30GB version of ZVM), put the CF card in it and then connect it to the ZVM (be careful when removing the HDD so that the connectors do not break).
You might need the Zen/creative recovery tool if the ZVM does not want to connect to the computer when you load firmware.
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danneq View Post
I have a 8GB Kingston CF card in my ZVM and a 32GB Kingston CF card in my Zen Touch and they both work well. Sometimes when I have just started the ZVM and I start playing a song it will "stutter" for 2 or 3 seconds before playing normally. I am not sure if it is because of the CF card, though. I bought 2 broken ZVM:s from Ebay and I could get one of them working. It was pretty beat up though, so this "stuttering" might be due to the former owners mistreatment...

I have got a used 20GB Hitachi Travelstar that I will put in the Zen Touch and then I can put the 32GB CF card in the ZVM. The CF mods on older Creative players are quote straight forward and easy to do and they work great.
If I remember correctly, I could not load firmware on the ZVM on the first try, but on the second attempt it worked. So with a bit of patience you can get it working. Just get the correct CF card adapter (CF card to 1.8" zif if you have the 30GB version of ZVM), put the CF card in it and then connect it to the ZVM (be careful when removing the HDD so that the connectors do not break).
You might need the Zen/creative recovery tool if the ZVM does not want to connect to the computer when you load firmware.
thanks

Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM

I could have written more, but I have forgotten all the steps I went through to install the CF card and load firmware. After I have put the 32GB CF card in the ZVM I will have to redo the whole thing, so I have to find good instructions again...

Anyway, I cannot guarantee 100% that the 16GB version of Kingston x133 will work for you, but for me the 8GB version works great in my ZVM and I am sure that the 32GB version will work great too. So the chances are very big that it will work for you.
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danneq View Post
I could have written more, but I have forgotten all the steps I went through to install the CF card and load firmware. After I have put the 32GB CF card in the ZVM I will have to redo the whole thing, so I have to find good instructions again...

Anyway, I cannot guarantee 100% that the 16GB version of Kingston x133 will work for you, but for me the 8GB version works great in my ZVM and I am sure that the 32GB version will work great too. So the chances are very big that it will work for you.
do you think the MK3008GAL toshiba hard drive will work in my zvm 30gb? i want to try it but i dont know if it will work :/

Old 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ather View Post
do you think the MK3008GAL toshiba hard drive will work in my zvm 30gb? i want to try it but i dont know if it will work :/
As long as you have the proper connector(zif) it should work

Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
As long as you have the proper connector(zif) it should work
ive purchased it now so shall keep you guys informed as to how it worked out for me..bit scary seeing all the issues about toshiba hard drives in zens on all the posts on this site or is that just me lol?

Tags
30gb, hard drive, replacement, tested, vision m