android
Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 AM

Default Screen on 16gb View is cracked

I broke the screen on my 3 week old View... I have searched this forum, amazon, and ebay but just cant seem to find a place who sells replacement screens.

Has anybody on this site replaced a screen before?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There is no replacement screens, yet. You could try to RMA it with Sandisk or with the store depending on the in-store return policy tho. If you want to replace the screen, you need to search eBay for one that is broken but with a good screen. You can try to sell yours on eBay to get some money back.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 PM

you can talk to NonPlayerChar if he wants to sell you his screen from his recent upgrade.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:48 AM

The repair itself is very simple. In fact, I just did one right now to test to see if that other screen was working.
Sadly =/ not.

The hardest part in all of this will be finding a replacement screen or a view for parts. If you do find one however, I will more than gladly make a step by step video guide about how to open up a Sansa View, replace the screen and close it back up.

Ebay looks like a great place to start though =]
Caveat emptor and buy quickly. These auctions all end very soon.

Last edited by NonPlayerChar; 09-30-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:41 PM

thanks for the help! I will probably take you up on the help of taking apart. I have cracked open a treo and blackberry a few times so I would think it would be similar.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM

No problem, that is what we are here for. Just make sure you let me know if you ever do get that view for parts.
(as in, pop in the IRC, PM me or send me out an email [<preferred])
As I don't really check the tread too often.
Good luck hunting down a working View LCD!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 PM

thank you! Will certainly send over a PM.

The funny thing about this is may Bose QC3's JUST came in on Friday, and I broke the screen on Thursday on a plane.

They are sitting in the box still.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:06 AM

Did you ever end up getting that replacement screen for your View?
I'm rather curious if you repaired it or ended up doing what I am really considering and picked up one of those D2s off Newegg.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonPlayerChar View Post
Did you ever end up getting that replacement screen for your View?
I'm rather curious if you repaired it or ended up doing what I am really considering and picked up one of those D2s off Newegg.
Actually... my wife and I had our 1st child a little over 2 weeks ago so it has been on the back burner! Funny you mention this though, I was thinking about it on my way to work yesterday to seach ebay and sorts for an 'as is' model some more but got busy. Will have to look today.

Thank you very much for your concern! I am not really wanting to get a new model yet, i literally used this thing on one trip.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM

by the way... does anybody know if any other LCDs are compatible with the Sansa View (as in e250, etc.)??

Last edited by markstanco; 10-23-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As far as I know, the View is the only one that uses that display, but never know till more players are opened up.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 PM

fixed!!!

Sorry, no pictures but I will run through it briefly.

Small screw hole on the bottom opposite the jack (small plastic cover over it, simply pry out with a toothpick).

Take a precision phillips screwdriver and remove screw.

Now, I took a small precision flathead screwdriver and began cracking open the case and worked my way around to the jack side. This one is tricky, but with some patients you will get that last part out.

Once open, locate ALL 6 phillips screws. Lower left corner, upper middle edge, right side edge, and 3 on the board. Remove these.

If you must remove the face, it IS NOT A PROBLEM. The ribbon that connects to the wheel and the board will easily come out. When replacing this, 'swing' the thin black 'catch' or latch or whatever it is called open. Slide the ribbon card in and with a precision flathead simply lock it back down.

To remove the battery: Simply pull the connector straight out. Simple.

To remove the screen (me): The ribbon that is connected to the BOARD lifts STRAIGHT UP. Dont pull out, just use a precision screwdriver or maybe even a toothpick and pry it off the board.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM

I would like to try this before I just out and buy a new one. I've had it for years and besides the recently cracked screen it works great. Actually, even with the cracked screen it works, it's just a little bit more difficult to read.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I might find a replacement screen (broken view with working screen) cheap or if the 8gb screen would work. I can find a lot of those cheap.

Thanks in advance for any help available.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM

wow, old thread! I actually dont use my View any longer, it crapped out shortly after I replaced the screen.

anyhow, what I did per somebody's suggestion was follow Ebay with the search term "Sansa View as is".

I found one after 2-3 weeks I believe.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. So to make sure I'm getting this, any Sansa View screen will work?

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstress Nicole View Post
Thanks for the reply. So to make sure I'm getting this, any Sansa View screen will work?
I am 99% sure, unless something new came out.

Grab the specs on the Sansa website to be certain, but I dont know why the 8, 16, and 32 would be different...doesnt make sense as a manufacturer to do that.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:33 AM

There is some ambiguity about the word "screen". It could refer to the LCD assembly or to the simple transparent plastic of the front panel of the case.

markstanco started this thread saying "I broke the screen on my 3 week old View". I find it hard to believe that one could "break" the LCD without doing damage to the front panel.

Misstress Nicole, whose problem is current, writes, "even with the cracked screen it works, it's just a little bit more difficult to read". In this case, it seems clear that the cracked screen is the front panel, not the LCD, since I don't think a cracked LCD works and, besides, it's pretty hard to crack an LCD inside an undamaged case.

If anybody needs a replacement front panel, or other case part, send me a PM.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Hey, I thought i wouldn't make another thread about similar subject.
My views screen alson cracked internally or atleast it doesn't show any information anymore only black and white rubbish.

My question is. Is it possible to change views operating system so that it would play all my music randomly automatically or from pressing play button without the need of scrolling through the settings and videos and selecting music section with scroll?

At the moment I'm not even sure if the player can play music I've only heard static noise so it doesn't look good.

Thanks!