android
  #21  
Old 11-24-2009, 03:05 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
I'm sorry bud, but there really is nothing to fix. scores are in relation to competing products, whee 5.0 is considered average for the intended market. Every other player of note has dedicated volume controls, while the ZHD does not. And while I agree that you can train yourself to use it blind, it's not something that everyone has the skill or coordination to do. A dedicated volume button makes this easier. So, I'm sorry that you are irked by a part of my review, but I'm equally irked at MS's decision to be different for the sake of being different. The button that was in place of where the volume rocker should be is just redundant.
I disagree with the statement that one would have to 'train' oneself to use it blind. The swiping up or down or left to right can happen at any point on the screen, negating the need for the knowledge of where one's finger should be.
The media button, unlike a volume rocker, serves more than one purpose.
You can't just dock points because it has something that every other player on the market doesn't for as flimsy a reason as that.
Also, in tandem with the playlist feature, could you add something about the lack of a universal search feature or the lack of the inclusion of Smart DJ on the player itself?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 11-24-2009, 03:51 PM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
I disagree with the statement that one would have to 'train' oneself to use it blind. The swiping up or down or left to right can happen at any point on the screen, negating the need for the knowledge of where one's finger should be.
For the swiping or "pressing" to work, you have to hit certain areas of the screen. Doing this blind takes practice.

Quote:
The media button, unlike a volume rocker, serves more than one purpose.
The media button does serve more than one purpose, but all it does is bring up the controls that tapping the screen would bring up. It still pales in comparison to a dedicated volume rocker.

Quote:
You can't just dock points because it has something that every other player on the market doesn't for as flimsy a reason as that.
Actually, if one player does something different, and that something different is found to be inferior in the reviewer's opinion, then yes, the reviewer does have the right to voice his opinion. I respect the fact that you disagree with my review. I also respect that you've placed up your own review, which seems very well written. But at least show me the same respect for my opinions.
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
For the swiping or "pressing" to work, you have to hit certain areas of the screen. Doing this blind takes practice.
This is the point I was trying to make. It doesn't matter what area of the screen you try it, the horizontal motions and the vertical motions are locked to the forward/backward and volume controls. Thereby negating the need for practice or an awareness of where the finger is.

I respect your opinions stated in your review, but the point regarding the media button is something I've seen turned down and not accepted by the whole of the technology community with the exception of Enzo due to a lack of wanting to investigate truly whether a volume rocker is better than the media button.

But point taken. Everyone is different, and different methods of media control work for different people.
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 11-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Celenet Celenet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
For the swiping or "pressing" to work, you have to hit certain areas of the screen. Doing this blind takes practice.
It does not take practice at all. Press side button, slide finger up for volume up, slide down for lower volume, swipe right for next track.

The only thing that takes practice is pressing the play/pause. Then again, a dedicated volume rocker does not control play/pause, so the point is mute.
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
gamersat678 gamersat678 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 157
Default

All opinions. Take em or leave. All it really comes down to is what your opinion is.

As for me I have to guess what button I'm going to press. I usually hit the right touch button but like most touch players their aren't to many tactile references.

Good work on the article btw.
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
... ... ... ...
Conclusion: 7.5 (not an average)

... ...
1 - Again, why no pictures o_O get the pro to shoot some for you
2 - If it was an average, I came up with 6.1, please correct me if I'm wrong
3 - Why so many reservations, when you can easily edit it o_O
4 - Why post here rather than "MP3 Player User Reviews?"
5 - Nice review

BTW, no need to answer my questions, just food for thought.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamersat678 View Post
All opinions. Take them or leave. All it really comes down to is what your opinion is. Not someone elses.

As for me I have to guess what button I'm going to press. I usually hit it but like most touch players their aren't to many tactile refrences.
By button, do you mean the +/- and forward/backward signs on the media controls?
You don't need to know where those are.
By swiping up or down anywhere on the screen, you can change volume. Same for side to side with forward/backward.
That's what I've been trying to say.
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 11-24-2009, 07:09 PM
gamersat678 gamersat678 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 157
Default

I've got a relatively big thumb and I can't get a really good hold on the Zune while trying to cut grass on a riding lawn mower. Sometimes (not often mind you) I swipe the diagonal, hitting both next and volume up.
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamersat678 View Post
I've got a relatively big thumb and I can't get a really good hold on the Zune while trying to cut grass on a riding lawn mower. Sometimes (not often mind you) I swipe the diagonal, hitting both next and volume up.
Strange. I've tried the diagonal motions on my HD as well and it detects it only as a volume control motion. In fact, it detects diagonal motions as volume control motions up until about a diagonal angle of about less than 10 degrees.
That's interesting.
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 06-19-2010, 06:51 AM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

Revised the review with the input from Weedalin and others, as well as accounting for some changes in the 4.3 firmware (IE, removed the complaint about javascript on the browser, because that aspect has been greatly improved!).
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.