android
Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Same here, ID3 browsing is too unintelligent and inflexible for my needs. So I'm looking forward to the day when Rockbox on the Clip finally plays audio without hiccups. They're making good progress, it can't be long until I can ditch the crappy stock firmware once and for all.
Am looking forward to Rockbox on the Clip as well, but it seems like progress is somewhat slower now than it had been (based on the earlier progress, it had looked like a port would be out by this month or so--things were moving fast and furious).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaper View Post
6. Selecting "Albums -> an album -> a track" is my favourite choice, but you must have complete albums, not separate songs from different albums
This would sound the way I would like to use the thing. But would it play the tracks in the original order i.e. according to track #s of the album? If not, if the file naming scheme for compilation albums is 01 Artist - Title.mp3, if I use MP3Tag and convert that into the Title tag (starting with track #) as a whole, would that make them play in the original order? That would then work for non-compilation albums as well, if the file is 01 Title.mp3 (they are obviously in Album subfolders of the Artist folder), adding the track # in Title tag would fix the playing order. Or am I missing something...

Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Am looking forward to Rockbox on the Clip as well, but it seems like progress is somewhat slower now than it had been (based on the earlier progress, it had looked like a port would be out by this month or so--things were moving fast and furious).
Now that they have been hinting that they are looking at folder browsing, I wonder which you'll see first...the completed RB or a Sansa folder view? Next scheduled update is for the Fuze though.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Now that they have been hinting that they are looking at folder browsing, I wonder which you'll see first...the completed RB or a Sansa folder view? Next scheduled update is for the Fuze though.
By "they" I take it you mean SanDisk ... they may implement file/folder browsing, but I doubt they’ll come close in any sound enhancement features or the ability to pan/balance like rockbox, only other fw that even offers pan/balance is cowon’s.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
By "they" I take it you mean SanDisk ... they may implement file/folder browsing, but I doubt they’ll come close in any sound enhancement features or the ability to pan/balance like rockbox, only other fw that even offers pan/balance is cowon’s.
Yes, SanDisk. And I'm sure you're correct about the enhancements as well. I would love to take a day with an i7 or D2 to really tinker with all the sound options....then again, I might not want to give it back afterwards

Old 06-20-2009, 05:51 AM

id3 vs. folder-browsing pros:

Id3:
easier for most people--who don't know anything about directory structure (what a folder is). Most Ipod users for example. Take their iTunes away and they have no idea where the music is (typically strewn around with filenames and directory names that make no sense).

Folder Browsing:
1. Better for Classical Music/Jazz (collectors tend to use deep-hierarchy categorization, eg:
Baroque\Bach\Concertos\Piano\Gould\F Minor\
Ensembles\Cool Jazz\Miles\Quintet Sessions\
2. Better for people making their own rips (cd backups) with EAC and the like, at least in most cases, since less operations are required if a format conversion is part of the process. For example, a common scenario is: Backuped CD in FLAC (via EAC) on a harddrive (organized by file/folder structure), and only some of those converted (separately) to mp3/ogg/whatever for the portable player. The conversion is somewhat of a pain (even with friendly programs like Foobar), and it becomes harder when you have to make sure the id3 tag is carried over correctly).

In general the correlation seems to be strong between tech-savvy users and folder-browsing proponents, and likewise between glossy-touchscreen-animated-GUI enthusiasts and Id3 kiddies.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:47 AM

So can will we get file browsing on the old Sansa Clip? While Sandisk would not make any money from it, it would be rather nice. In this day and age this kind of issue should be addressed via a firmware update, not via a hardware update, for the sake of the environment. I have a perfectly working mp3 player, so why should I get a new one?? I would gladly pay £10 for the update if that's what it takes. I am sure it wouldn't be very difficult to implement since they've already done it in the Sansa Clip+.

So what are the chances of this feature making it into the Sansa Clip?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 AM

You could install Rockbox on your v1 Clip to get file/folder browsing.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
So can will we get file browsing on the old Sansa Clip? While Sandisk would not make any money from it, it would be rather nice. In this day and age this kind of issue should be addressed via a firmware update, not via a hardware update, for the sake of the environment. I have a perfectly working mp3 player, so why should I get a new one?? I would gladly pay £10 for the update if that's what it takes. I am sure it wouldn't be very difficult to implement since they've already done it in the Sansa Clip+.

So what are the chances of this feature making it into the Sansa Clip?
From your mouth to SanDisk's ears ...

It seems unlikely at this point. If I recall events correctly, SanDisk last announced that it might turn to the original Clip as time permits. There in fact has been a firmware upgrade since that time, back in March, but it had no enhancements, only bug fixes.

And in fact, the original Clip still is being avidly sold ... Enhancement support for it (most specifically, the firmware additions already given to the Clip+, which SanDisk already has) would be nice ...