android
Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Default My Zune HD died...[resurrected]

Was listening to some music today, and something came up, so I hit pause and turned the screen off. It was unresponsive to any buttons afterwords (power, home, or the media button), so I figured it just needed to be plugged in.

Plugging it into my laptop caused the Zune software to open, which had me hopeful, but then the device went undetected, and it would not power on.

Being in Iraq, doing an RMA is going to be a pain in the ass, since my receipt is in storage back stateside. By the time I get home, the warranty period will be expired. Looks like I may have to look into a new player (sucks when you need to use a receipt to prove a device is less than 1 year old...when the device hasn't even been on the market for a full year).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 AM

Have you tried unplugging it and holding the power button for about 10 seconds? Mine did something similar and it worked fine after I restarted it.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate8nate View Post
Have you tried unplugging it and holding the power button for about 10 seconds? Mine did something similar and it worked fine after I restarted it.
Dude, I hate you (it worked!). No lie, when my Zune died, my first thought was "I can uninstall the Zune software!"

But seriously, thank you! Last thing I want is to have to buy a new MP3 player mid-tour. I wanted the Zune to last my entire deployment. After that, I'll re-evaluate.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
No lie, when my Zune died, my first thought was "I can uninstall the Zune software!"
That quote is worth its weight in gold - especially coming from our Zune moderator.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Glad to help.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That quote is worth its weight in gold - especially coming from our Zune moderator.
My first intent was to make a post titled "dfkt, you're going to laugh at me..."

Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Medion, just in case if your Zune realy takes the piss, can't Microsoft provide a warranty claim based on the serial number? I definately know with the XBOX 360 this is their policy because I needed to do a warranty swap before.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Their customer service is pretty good so Im sure they would help you out if there was an issue that because you were in service you couldnt get the receipt....

Regardless, I love the zune software...use it all the time now when I dont have my zuneHD around even...much better than windows media player for me(I hated that)....and a mile and a half better than itunes

Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post

Regardless, I love the zune software...use it all the time now when I dont have my zuneHD around even...much better than windows media player for me(I hated that)....and a mile and a half better than itunes
I think it's a very user-friendly software. I just wish that it had better support for MP4 (since last software update, it stutters on my videos), and video playlists, among other nagging issues.

And saying it's a mile and a half better than Itunes is like saying one of us has 20 more IQ points than potato salad...

Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 PM

See attachment...self explanatory...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zune-BSOD.jpg (94.3 KB, 46 views)

Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 PM

What the hell?

Is that a blue screen of death? :O

Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 PM

That's a ZuneHD with poorly coded windows95 firmware.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
That's a ZuneHD with poorly coded windows95 firmware.
Why the redundancy?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:04 PM

Well relating to the original post, ever since the last firmware update, I've had the exact same problem: turn off the screen at a given moment, and then zune will not be responsive to anything (except a force restart). Although I didn't get the thought to reinstall the zune software, I did find it annoying that the problem has happened to me more than once.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate8nate View Post
for future reference, if this fails the next step is recovery mode....from personal experience. and it worked.
http://forums.zune.net/1/50/231510/ShowPost.aspx#231510

specifically: "Press and hold the power and media buttons for 15 seconds. The device reboots into Recovery mode (content is not erased, allows for firmware reinstall). This is a good option if you want to keep the content on your device, but reinstall the firmware."