android
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Default Problem with duplicate files on Clip+

Has anyone seen a problem where duplicate files are being stored on the Clip+? Basically the same songs are being stored in multiple different folders, and these different folders are named with a pre-pended garbled text string.

I am using MediaMonkey (3.2) to load playlists the Clip+. As I add new songs to various playlists, and then sync these playlists to the Clip+, some songs are getting stored in strangely named folders, something like '3A000WXYZ_Elvis Costello'. This does not happen on all songs, just some of them. There may be multiple different 'Elvis Costello' folders, named with different garbled pre-pended strings, each containing the same music files.

I am seeing this problem on the external uSD card (8GB). I don't recall seeing this on the internal memory (which is 8GB).

I am running the latest firmware on the Clip+ (01.02.15A)
MediaMonkey version is 3.2.0.1294

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've seen that happen on sansa's running in MTP mode, which causes file corruption. You can either format the player and reload tunes or if you want to try saving your music files by trying eror-checking CHKDSK.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Dbjor

the 'funny' named folders seems to be something that happens when syncing with Media Monkey and similar software. It has definitely been reported before. I believe that the same folks reported multiple copies of songs as well.

Steve

Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 AM

I would expect multiple copies if any of the tag fields the clip uses to categorize songs were different. Why the tag fields should be corrupted is another matter.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
I would expect multiple copies if any of the tag fields the clip uses to categorize songs were different. Why the tag fields should be corrupted is another matter.
Actually I'm pretty sure that the mp3 tag fields have nothing to do with a duplicate file. One file can be stored on the Clip in two different folders thus creating a duplicate situation. I have had it happen on my Clip and I think on my Fuze.

Steve

Old 09-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Did anyone find a fix for this? I'm having this exact problem with my Clip on MM 4.4.4.1709

Old 09-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Bumping 4 year old thread and saying you're having the same problem isn't the best way to go about getting help. Posting exactly what you're doing is the only way anyone might be able to lend a hand.

In general duplicate files are usually caused by using different USB modes or settings in MediaMonkey. The Clip+ also has a autodefect mode than can change the USB mode depending on which mode it detects is best for file transfer.

This advice is very general but it works in most cases. First wipe all the files you've placed on the device. I'd use the sandisk format utility built into the Clip+. Select a USB mode and only use that. Setup MM a single time and don't change that. Use only MM to transfer files after allowing it to fully scan the device. MM should then know what's on the device regardless of folder structure. It shouldn't add any files more than once.

If that doesn't work post the details of exactly what you're dong and the result. The more details you include the more likely it is someone will spot the problem and be able to help.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. This was the only place on the web I could find describing exactly my problem. I haven't tried anything, mainly because there was no solution reported here. Although I have tried formatting the internal and external memory, as suggested, without success.

I will try turning auto-detect off for usb mode and see if that helps, thank you

Old 09-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Administrator

There's a reason you aren't finding this question posted anywhere else or a solution. Duplicate files aren't created by either the Clip+ or MM when they are setup properly. What you're seeing is a thread where someone posted a generalized question 4 years ago without sufficient detail and never came back. Without sufficient information there was no way for anyone to offer a solution.

What you doing is essentially the same thing. You say you'll do part of what I posted without saying what you've done before that created the duplicates. If someone comes across this thread in the future they still won't know what happened or how to fix it.

If that happens all I can advise is that they follow all the steps I listed in the order I listed them. If they do MM or any other decent syncing software won't create duplicates.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:55 PM

That is because this issue exists with all default settings. I'm not sure what specific steps OP didn't include, I understood exactly what he tried and what the problem was. I haven't tried anything out of the norm and the only suggestion was to format the player, which I tried. Here's what I've done:

1. Purchased the Clip from Amazon.
2. Synced a set of playlists to the clip's internal and external memory using the latest version of MM.
3. Synced again when new music was added to the MM library.
4. Random duplicates appeared exactly as OP described.
5. Formatted and started over.
6. No fix.

The only step missing from this thread is the step in which a resolution occurs. Hopefully I can try forcing the USB mode and will post the results when that happens.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:11 AM

Maybe you can try formatting the player and use MSC mode to drag and drop the files/folders to the player? I've never synced my players, so I'm not sure how that whole process works.

Before I installed rockbox, I'd never used playlists (besides the on the go one), so I'm not sure how it works with the original firmware. Now, I use foobar2000 to make a .m3u8 fold and copy it into the playlist folder.

Hope that was helpful and that you'll get your clip working properly.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A reason I so like good old drag-and-drop on my players . . . .

Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Administrator

When just now I tried using the default setting on both MM and a Clip Zip duplicate files are created. Using MTP USB mode the folder names sometimes change during the sandisk database refresh. MM has no way to know the folders the database refresh changed contain the same files. When MM sends new files it does so based on settings that can't know what changes may have occurred.

The changing of folder names is a known issue with sandisk and some other players in MTP USB mode. I doubt that's likely to change as I never issued a firmware update to address that on any DAP.

When I changed to MSC USB transfer mode on the Clip Zip the folder names remained the same and MM didn't transfer any duplicates. The playlists that were created by MM transferred properly and were recognized by the player. I set MM to store the playlists in a Playlist folder created on the same memory that had the files that were in the playlist.

I set the playlists to be created as EXTm3u and forced relative paths. Playlists that had files on both memories caused the playlist either to break or only the files that were on the memory that held the playlists were recognized.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
When I changed to MSC USB transfer mode on the Clip Zip the folder names remained the same and MM didn't transfer any duplicates. The playlists that were created by MM transferred properly and were recognized by the player. I set MM to store the playlists in a Playlist folder created on the same memory that had the files that were in the playlist.

I set the playlists to be created as EXTm3u and forced relative paths. Playlists that had files on both memories caused the playlist either to break or only the files that were on the memory that held the playlists were recognized.
Awesome, thank you so much for trying that. I tried forcing MTP and like you, I had duplicates. So I will try switching to MSC and configuring my playlists as such.

I wonder why this hasn't been reported by more people, this is a very popular mp3 player.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Administrator

It's been reported any number of times. It's that it's been reported that *folder* names can change with folders transferred usiung MTP USB mode. That makes syncing create duplicates as the sync software has a set folder it uses and isn't set up to recognize that the *folder* structure on the player has been changed. The software checks to see if there's a *folder* that matches the criteria it use. As the name has been changed it doesn't see the files that are already on the player and sends the files again to fulfill the criteria it's been given. As that's not unique to MM it's usually the *folder* name change that's been reported.

I keep saying it as *folder* because what you see when you view the player in MTP aren't really folders. They're representations of links in a network that the player creates to address the contents of the player. They may look like directories but they really aren't. MTP properly implemented is powerful and useful. MTP poorly implemented is a pain.

MTP on sandisk players falls somewhere in the middle in my experience. IOW when it works it's pretty good. When it doesn't it can cause all types of non-obvious issues.

That's why it's usually best to use MSC unless you have a very specific reason to use MTP. The only one I can think of is if you use DRM material. If you use OverDrive books or have a Rhapsody subscription would be examples of needing MTP.

There's no need to force a USB mode. It a setting in the System menu. Choose the one you prefer to use and that's how it connects until you change it.

Just don't choose autodefect. The deliberate misspelling of that setting has been earned due to the incredible number of reported problems it's caused.