android
Old 06-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Default Unique Feature Request "String Song"

I don't know what it would be called, so I made up my own term, "string song". AFAIK, no other mp3 player can do this, and it would be awesome to see Zune take the lead. Certain songs are ALWAYS played together on the radio:
Will Will Rock You/We Are the Champions (Queen)
Brain Damge/Elcipse (Floyd)
Heartbreaker/Livin Lovin Maid (Zepplin).

Would be VERY cool to have a flag on a song that allows you to string two songs together like that. I think about it every time I hear a song that should be part of a pair on my zune. Sound off if you agree so maybe they'll implement it and take another unique leadership role.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm3r View Post
Would be VERY cool to have a flag on a song that allows you to string two songs together like that.
I wouldn't find much use for only two songs, but if it could be applied to being able to "string" more songs, I could see the use in that.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:45 PM

I think it would be nice to flag 2 or 3 songs to play together. The album Party Mix! is meant to have the first 3 and last 3 songs played together, and the Deee-Lite songs "Frenchapella" and "How do you say...Love (Pal Joey Dub)" are meant to be played together.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:25 PM

I couldn't agree with this more. It could be used in all sorts of ways, but especially with songs that are meant to be played back to back. I think there are a pair of green day songs that would fit this bill as well.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

this is a (short) playlist

Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 PM

just make a playlist for those 2 songs and when you want to hear them back to back, start the playlist. doesn't take much effort to launch it.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 PM

I think this would be pretty cool, good for songs that are in parts.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
this is a (short) playlist
Very true, but I think the idea here is that certain songs could be flagged to play together even when, say, shuffling your entire collection. So the block of linked songs could be shuffled into the rest of your catalog while remaining intact as a unit.

I don't have much use for this functionality myself...just pointing out what differentiates it from a standard playlist.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM

Well this kind of feature requires you to "string" songs manually, if Zune decides to pick it.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Well this kind of feature requires you to "string" songs manually, if Zune decides to pick it.
Which is both the point and a strength of this feature, being able to pick the "strings" for yourself. Of course, that's precisely why the Zune team will never implement it: It lets you make your own choices.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:37 AM

I guess I like this idea cause i had a dream and it was a feature on my zune

Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 PM

This is a great idea. I have several songs by Tool that are either are meant to be heard together or there is an intro to a song that is separate from the main track. Another good example is Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick in the Wall Part II by Pink Floyd. It's kinda jarring when shuffling my entire collection and the first part then leads into something else.
Would be a great feature but I imagine the demand wouldn't be real high.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Very true, but I think the idea here is that certain songs could be flagged to play together even when, say, shuffling your entire collection. So the block of linked songs could be shuffled into the rest of your catalog while remaining intact as a unit.

I don't have much use for this functionality myself...just pointing out what differentiates it from a standard playlist.
That's exactly when I was thinking this would be useful. I put together a playlist of around 300 of my top songs that I shuffle around to hear new stuff, and there are a few songs that I would like to always play back-to-back no matter the shuffle.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

What if mini playlists that need the attached songs are added to the main playlist? I am wondeing if the mini playlist would be shuffled also or remain intact. Something to think about, IMO.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post

then splice them together with something like audacity... and you can have all 3. (the two independent songs and the combination)

Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 PM

That's a good idea. It would also be useful for the medleys on Abbey Road.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
then splice them together with something like audacity... and you can have all 3. (the two independent songs and the combination)
That's exactly what I did, if I wanted to hear a song back to back like it was supposed to be, I'd just put them back to back in Audacity and save it as a new .mp3 .