android
Old 05-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Microsoft Considers Zune Pass Price Drop

Microsoft is apparently considering a price drop on Zune Pass according senior project manager Terry Ferrel. There is no definitive pricing but it is expected to drop to $10 from $15 per month to match Rhapsody.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-28-2010, 01:51 PM

i hope so!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 PM

Rhapsody at $10 is 1 device, along with "streaming", and no free credits. Or it's $14.99 for 3 devices, just like Zune Pass, and still no song credits.

I guess it's possible Microsoft may add a $10 lower tier... probably for the Kin/Windows Phone 7 streaming users.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Hmmmm. That is interesting thought. Maybe they are going to have a $10 and $15 plan. I hope it is just a price drop, though. We have 2 Zune passes (5 Zunes - 6 really but one isn't used any more - and 4 computers) so it would save me 10 bucks a month.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Getting the feeling they may drop the 10 freed credits...

Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll take Zune Pass @ $4.99/month with no free songs. $60/year is about what songs I can't play on any other device are worth to me. Throw in an email app and I may start using my HD daily.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I'll take Zune Pass @ $4.99/month with no free songs. $60/year is about what songs I can't play on any other device are worth to me. Throw in an email app and I may start using my HD daily.
At $5, I would definitely get it.
At $10. Possibly.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Totally agree. I sort of doubt they'll drop it that low, but personally I don't like feeling like I need to spend the song credits. Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather NOT have the song credits, have the Zune Pass price be consequently cheaper, and buy CD's of the artists I find that I like.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Getting the feeling they may drop the 10 freed credits...
If they drop that im dropping them .. and if i drop the zune pass i have no need to be keeping my zune... At which point i will be getting the Cowon J3.

I use my credits to keep songs i like or to replace lower bitrate songs in my collection with higher quality ones. Dropping the 10 credits is a showstopper for me.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:33 AM

I'm very happy with the pricing model just the way it is. What I'm not happy about are the songs that are disappearing. I synced my zune last week and about 55 songs were removed...

Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
I'm very happy with the pricing model just the way it is. What I'm not happy about are the songs that are disappearing. I synced my zune last week and about 55 songs were removed...
My sentiments as well .. I already dont have "mainstream" american musical tastes and my artists have been dropping like flies from the marketplace.

They also seem to be getting very sloppy at the categrizations.

1 example off the top of my head..

Patti Labelle
Labelle
Patti Labelle and the BlueBells
Patti Labelle and the Bluebelles

Seriously .. is it that hard to put all the albums in one or at most 2 artiste names ?

Since they cant get the categorization right .. the background bio / pics and such are all fubar for this artist and the software cannot identify some of the songs on a few of her albums even though they are meticulously tagged.

A couple months ago they had a decent Bent catalog

Now i search for Bent (Chill Downtempo artist) and i only manage to find 1 album .. Embarassingly enough the 1 album i found is in another artist (called Bent the hard rocker) catalog.

I have tons more examples but hey .. i have to go to the gym..

Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Who do you use for your email provider? I'm just curious about the technology you'd need to be completely satisfied. POP? IMAP? Exchange?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Doesn't MS have some email services? Hotmail? Live? I really don't care about a lot of apps but it is crazy to me that almost all the MS services didn't have apps long ago. Weather was all they figured needed 'cross-pollination'?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Who do you use for your email provider? I'm just curious about the technology you'd need to be completely satisfied. POP? IMAP? Exchange?

Cheers, Dave.
An email app should support all of those to take care of my accounts. It would be nice if it would consolidate in-boxes from all accounts too. Thanks for listening.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It would be nice if it would consolidate in-boxes from all accounts too.
...while offering a visual way to quickly identify which message comes from which account (color-coding, for example).

Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
... the technology you'd need to be completely satisfied?

Cheers, Dave.
Since you asked, it would take more than a great email app. Although email is something I found will make me consider taking a device with me to work, that satisfying device would have a few more characteristics. I'll need:

- an efficient UI. The recent Samsung touchscreens (P2/P3/M1) take better advantage of touch than every other brand. Tap to go down a menu tree one level. Tap and hold to go all the way into the media app at the bottom. Tap the back arrow to go up one level. Tap and hold to return Home. One button, ergonomically positioned, multiple functions.
- all the latest tech, and useful application of it. What point is a g-sensor if the entire UI doesn't take advantage. The iTouch improved greatly as it came along. Most of the default apps gained unique experiences when you tilt the player. The Cowon J3 even spins the home screen icons when you tilt it. Throw in Samsung's Bluetooth features. Skip GPS, but throw in a compass to track the player's orientation. Then exploit it. Keep the media features of the Zune. Throw in a few Easter Eggs for users to discover as they get more intimate with the device.

I could go on.