android
Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 AM

I've been considering the X, the Zune HD, the P3 and the J3. By all accounts for those things that matter most to me (sound quality #1, and audio file support like FLAC #2), it would appear that the J3 is the way to go. My only problem is that you're limited to 16GB.

Does anyone have any idea how long Cowon will likely take before issuing a 32GB?

Also, for those that have the J3, what is the casing material (metal or plastic) and screen (glass or hard plastic)?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
Does anyone have any idea how long Cowon will likely take before issuing a 32GB?

Also, for those that have the J3, what is the casing material (metal or plastic) and screen (glass or hard plastic)?
Stick a 16gb microSD card in a 16gb J3 to get 32gb today. The 32gb J3 is out in Korea. You might be able to order one through exportprive.com.

I have the J3. The body is plastic. The face is (probably Gorilla) glass with metal surround.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reply Olley. Is using a micro sd card rather seemless or is it overly burdensome if you're one that doesn't like too many hassles?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM

It works seemlessly. Stick it in the port and forget about it. It will show up as J3 EXT in WMP and you can dump your music right onto it. Best of all the J3 merges all your files into one list for your music (some players have external memory files show up as a separate list)

I just got a 16gb J3 this week. I'm coming from the well regarded Samsung P2 and sound wise the Cowon is easily the superior player.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you aren't changing the card out frequently, just stick it in and forget it. The J3 combines files from both internal and card memory in database searches, so you don't even notice it. The Zen X-Fi-2 on the other hand makes you select which memory you want to seach from.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 AM

I also have had the Zune HD, Sony X series and Cowon S9/J3. I've given the first two players to some friends (though both were very nice players). There is just something about the Cowon players I prefer (obviously sound quality). Also, with the updated firmware (1.10) the integration of the microsd card is even better. The first time you start your player of update it will "read the album covers"(or something like that) and it creates a faster matrix browser experience, and it remembers what you listened to. If you listened to music from the microsd card before it wouldn't remember after powering off - now it does.
El Mono

Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 AM

El Mono: If you have MicroSD card, Does it update the library every time you turn on the player or wat ? and why would you give 500$ worth of pmps these guys must be some awesome friends you have !

Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 AM

Theta, I know that the player starts it goes through two phases when there is a microsd card inserted. And now it goes through a third phase building an music database of all the album covers (it's funny but now it almost reminds me of El Maco's great music uci). Once this third phase has taken place it won't occur again. Unless of course you make some changes to your music on the player - I haven't made any changes so I don't know what would happen; I do know if I did change my music (on player of microsd) I would probably erase the music database in the system folder. Somehow I doubt that answered your question.
Actually, I did receive some monetary remuneration for one of the players. Mostly I do it because I hate having players that remain unused gathering dust. And, yes, I am an idiot. And, no, I do not have money to burn. For example, a close friend of twenty years was giving me crap for never giving her anything - when I got the J3 I gave the M1 to her as a gift. A small price to pay. LQTS (laughs quietly to self).
El Mono

Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM

Thanks El Mono that did in fact answer my question, a friend of mine had a clip + and it would do the very slow "Refreshing" almost every time he opens it with the SD card but i guess he must have screwed it somehow, but off course the clip is much too primitive compared to j3 !
And btw i do respect people who share their expensive toys with friends