android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
The best way to avoid buyer remorse is to stay away from sites like this one. If the Zune HD was the only player you knew about, you would go on thinking you had the greatest device ever made.
Ironic, isn't it? But I wouldn't have it any other way my friend...

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
Thomas Gray
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-25-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Maybe "Two screens and it would be very hard to match or beat the price of an iPad. Also no known app store for it. If it's an iPad style tablet people want, then we'd better re-think our approach." Just a thought.
I don't know; it seems to me that the Courier was the closest thing that could make a mobile device feel 'natural' to use (the abundance of creative and unique gestures along with the UI made it very interesting).
Also, the fact that J Allard might even leave Microsoft because of the Courier axing could mean worse things for the innovation at Microsoft.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJanglesAUS View Post
Put simply, I still can't get my head around the axing of the Microsoft Courier. I cannot emphasize enough how much demand there was for that amazing product; especially how much it would have influenced the tablet industry today.
Any company that invests a substantial amount in R&D is always going to cancel more projects than they proceed with. Microsoft - which has an enormous R&D budget - is no exception. In fact, it is highly prudent to have the discipline to walk away from a project that for whatever reason(s) won't work.

Now, that isn't to say that components of the project don't wind up in other projects or products, but this kind of thing happens all the time - the only difference with Courier is that tech blog readers caught a glimpse of some renders and got excited. There were a number of reasons for the decision the company made about Courier, unfortunately none of them are reasons I can get into...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's what going at Microsoft. Robbie Bach and J. Allard are both leaving Microsoft. Robbie Bach was the President of the Entertainment & Devices Division. J. Allard was one of the head for the Courier. Everything will now be directly reported to Steve Ballmer. I wonder how much this affect any current developments of Xbox, WP7 and Zune.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
There were a number of reasons for the decision the company made about Courier, unfortunately none of them are reasons I can get into...
Come on, tell us

Old 05-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Here's what going at Microsoft. Robbie Bach and J. Allard are both leaving Microsoft. Robbie Bach was the President of the Entertainment & Devices Division. J. Allard was one of the head for the Courier. Everything will now be directly reported to Steve Ballmer. I wonder how much this affect any current developments of Xbox, WP7 and Zune.
Ballmer is the one that needs to go.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...527-apple.html

If I were a big-time shareholder of MS, I'd want Ballmer gone in a hurry. Over the past 10 years, he's caused the value of MS's shares to plummet. And while Jobs and Gates as rivals caused a great deal of innovation, Ballmer has done nothing but criticize attempts of others to innovate, and then tried to copy that formula when it succeeds.

If I were running MS today, I'd kill Windows Mobile/WP7. I'd take it and drop it off the face of the planet. I'd then release my full suite of productivity software for Android, BB, Symbian, and heck, even Iphone if Apple would allow it. Why get a $20-$40 royalty per phone for 10% of the smartphone marketplace, when I gould get $30 for a software suite per smartphone PERIOD.

I'd also integrate the Zune Media player and Marketplace into Android, to combat Itunes (it's done wonders for Amazon, who's markeshare in downloaded music has tripled since being included in Android). If RIM and Nokia would allow it, I'd bundle Zune Marketplace onto their products as well.

Lastly, I'd make softare to help these smartphones integrate into Windows much better. This would further increase the reliance on my desktop product. Microsoft needs to focus on what they're good at, and stop trying to force the market their way. They've lost the mobile OS war, but by keeping their products tied to only their mobile OS, they could inadvertently lose the productivity software war to Google Docs. As for Zune MP vs. Itunes, that's not even a war right now, but it very well could be if MS had any sense.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Ballmer is the one that needs to go.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...527-apple.html

If I were a big-time shareholder of MS, I'd want Ballmer gone in a hurry. Over the past 10 years, he's caused the value of MS's shares to plummet. And while Jobs and Gates as rivals caused a great deal of innovation, Ballmer has done nothing but criticize attempts of others to innovate, and then tried to copy that formula when it succeeds.

If I were running MS today, I'd kill Windows Mobile/WP7. I'd take it and drop it off the face of the planet. I'd then release my full suite of productivity software for Android, BB, Symbian, and heck, even Iphone if Apple would allow it. Why get a $20-$40 royalty per phone for 10% of the smartphone marketplace, when I gould get $30 for a software suite per smartphone PERIOD.

I'd also integrate the Zune Media player and Marketplace into Android, to combat Itunes (it's done wonders for Amazon, who's markeshare in downloaded music has tripled since being included in Android). If RIM and Nokia would allow it, I'd bundle Zune Marketplace onto their products as well.

Lastly, I'd make softare to help these smartphones integrate into Windows much better. This would further increase the reliance on my desktop product. Microsoft needs to focus on what they're good at, and stop trying to force the market their way. They've lost the mobile OS war, but by keeping their products tied to only their mobile OS, they could inadvertently lose the productivity software war to Google Docs. As for Zune MP vs. Itunes, that's not even a war right now, but it very well could be if MS had any sense.

I usually agree with mostly everything you say but getting into bed with your major enemy in a segment that is growing(mobile) where you are weak and with that enemy having your main business(windows) being their main target to seek and destroy...just makes no sense...
MS is right on the money to put all their eggs into mobile right now...wp7 is probably the product Im most excited about...android only recently started to produce an OS that looks interesting...MS has to play a big bit of catchup but they are going to pump money endlessly into this area you can bet...
Say what you will about Balmer but the product announcements from the last 6 months have been really impressive...
Only thing that worries me is to see some of their apparently top people who could run the company in the future leave or retire...probably a lot of things going on in the background that we are not privy to...
I really dont have an opinion on balmer...he seems like a nice guy compared to the likes of the leaders of google(I find these 3 geeks really the type of anti-social people I do not want running my connected life) and apple(one man show at apple...the guy is a dictator but obviously is the sole responsible person for bring apple back from the brink of death...when he goes, apple might be in trouble)...

The main problem with MS is the same problem with any massive company...they become completely unmanageable at that size...if MS can let the different business groups work independently but with a common company goal...then they might succeed...

Just my opinion(s)...

Old 05-28-2010, 02:07 AM

The forseeable fortunes of Microsoft depend greatly at the moment on Windows Mobile 7, IMO.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
I usually agree with mostly everything you say but getting into bed with your major enemy in a segment that is growing(mobile) where you are weak and with that enemy having your main business(windows) being their main target to seek and destroy...just makes no sense...
MS is right on the money to put all their eggs into mobile right now...wp7 is probably the product Im most excited about...android only recently started to produce an OS that looks interesting...MS has to play a big bit of catchup but they are going to pump money endlessly into this area you can bet...
Say what you will about Balmer but the product announcements from the last 6 months have been really impressive...
Only thing that worries me is to see some of their apparently top people who could run the company in the future leave or retire...probably a lot of things going on in the background that we are not privy to...
I really dont have an opinion on balmer...he seems like a nice guy compared to the likes of the leaders of google(I find these 3 geeks really the type of anti-social people I do not want running my connected life) and apple(one man show at apple...the guy is a dictator but obviously is the sole responsible person for bring apple back from the brink of death...when he goes, apple might be in trouble)...

The main problem with MS is the same problem with any massive company...they become completely unmanageable at that size...if MS can let the different business groups work independently but with a common company goal...then they might succeed...

Just my opinion(s)...
I can't fault you for any part of your opinion, and Idefinitely agree with your last paragraph. My opinion was more along the lines of this; Mobile has the ability to support multiple operating systems. However, in some form or another, these mobile platforms require a desktop (Itunes, BB Desktop Sofware, Zune)or server-side platform (Exchange) to fully function. MS has them locked into Exchange, why not lock them into Windows? By making software that could peroerly sync BB/Symbian/Android with Outlook as Windows Mobile does, MS could kill the emerging Google Docs. Esepcially if they put MS Office on these platforms (which would also kill QuickOffice).

Moving the Zune Marketplace to these platforms would give more exposure to it. Amazon went from 4% of the digital music market to 12% in less than one yeaer due to inclusion in Android. Imagine what would happen to Zune's 1% market if they made it the media player on Android (lack of codecs notwithstanding, it's a damn sexy player).

MS gets a rumored $20-40 per handset sold that includes Windows Mobile and Mobile Office. QuickOffice goes for $30 on BB/Symbian/Android, and $10 on Iphone. MS could sell Mobile Office for $30 to these platforms, kill off QuickOffice, and make far FAR more money than they have ever made off Windows Mobile. In addition, again, they'd greatly grow their Zune marketshare.

Bottom line is that Microsoft is heavily dependent on the adoption of Windows. If Windows cannot penetrate mobile, then you make mobile utterly dependent on it.