android
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 AM

Hmmm.. Li-Poly battery eh.. Hmmm.. *in deep thought*

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

qawsedrf: In my opinion it would be better to simply use an external USB battery pack (like this Duracell, for example) - that 900mAh battery you linked is definitely way too big to fit inside.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Way too big? Hmmmm.. Ok...

Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The milliampere-hours a battery is able to deliver is directly linked to its size. Since the original gives 330mAh and the one I implanted gives 250mAh, you can imagine how big a 900mAh battery is in relation.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuxanam View Post
By the way, in Clip+ it's seems set EBP363036\363036P Li-Polymer Battery Cell from PAC ELECTRONICS CO LTD. - i didn't find any info about battery on rockbox.org
http://www.pactw.com/OpenDetail.asp?...Polymer&p1id=6
And same built-in protection circuit PCM in Clip and Clip+
=)
The capacity listed on this page is 340mAh, but http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...isassembly.php shows 290.

Perhaps the batteries come in different capacities?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:39 AM

dfkt, does the iPod mini battery seem a bit too large? I compared the battery's size alongside my clip (unopened), and it appear to be about the right size. In case it helps, the dimensions are: 1.55 x 1.13 X 0.13 inches.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuxanam View Post
363830 battery used in the Clip available on ebay - 3.7V 330mAh Lithium Polymer Battery
http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...m=170477518536

=) I'm trying to find display for Clip_v1, previous owner said it's maybe died after voltage surge, but displays that i can find have a 27\31-pin connetcror =(
original display has the 20-pin
I think that the Sansa Express uses the same OLED display module. I had both of them apart a while back, and they both seemed identical, same form factor, appearance, connector, etc.

The Express battery MIGHT fit (wasn't paying attention to that, since I'd bought some ten dollar refurb'd Clips as parts donors -- and then gifted them away (insert_standard_argh) == but, I did notice that it (the Express battery) only had TWO wires. (If it does fit, we see above how easy it'd be to port over the old circuit to deal with the three wires, though.)

I don't think they're still making the Express (in fact, if you look at the product lineup graphic on the Sansa website, I don't think ANY of those players are still in production, except perhaps the Fuze), but I do see them from time to time for a very low price. The Express is IMO the low-price bookend to the View -- elegant hardware hampered by brain-damaged firmware.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
dfkt, does the iPod mini battery seem a bit too large? I compared the battery's size alongside my clip (unopened), and it appear to be about the right size. In case it helps, the dimensions are: 1.55 x 1.13 X 0.13 inches.
Nausicaa, I have a clip+ open at the moment, the battery measures 1.39 X 1.13 X .12. It looks like a battery up to 1.5 long would go, 1.55 would just possibly squeak in, though it would cover the solder terminals.

What is the mAh of the battery you have? Looking at Amazon, the mini replacements often go to 800 mAh or more, which suggests a bigger volume.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM

*chuckles*

Thank God some people actually read the specs. =)

@whiffee, the iPod mini battery is also available over at amazon, I'm sure you have noticed that. However it being Li-On draws some concern over at my side, rather than Li-Poly. I haven't gotten myself any units of Clip/Clip+ so I can't do any experimenting as of yet, but hopefully, real soon! =)

Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If the battery fits inside the Clip, then the 900mAh specs are definitely fake. That capacity is impossible in that small form factor. It's probably around 300mAh, like all the other similarly sized batteries.

As for your "chuckle": I don't read those medieval measure-runes, I use the metric system, and I didn't really feel the need to translate the specs since some of them are obviously wrong - either the size or the capacity.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If the battery fits inside the Clip, then the 900mAh specs are definitely fake. That capacity is impossible in that small form factor. It's probably around 300mAh, like all the other similarly sized batteries.

As for your "chuckle": I don't read those medieval measure-runes, I use the metric system, and I didn't really feel the need to translate the specs since some of them are obviously wrong - either the size or the capacity.

*haha*

I guess that's better that a chuckle?

Anyway, my sincerest apologies if you feel... offended in any way. =) Regardless, I think I will still give it a go, as any increase in power capacity will be good. But hey, if not for your tutorial, I would thought of this, and I do have to shower you with thanks over this. =)

We shall see how it goes, will definitely update if there are, well, any updates on my side, dfkt! =)

Old 05-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffee View Post
Nausicaa, I have a clip+ open at the moment, the battery measures 1.39 X 1.13 X .12. It looks like a battery up to 1.5 long would go, 1.55 would just possibly squeak in, though it would cover the solder terminals.

What is the mAh of the battery you have? Looking at Amazon, the mini replacements often go to 800 mAh or more, which suggests a bigger volume.
The stock is 600mAh I believe, I bought one that claimed to be 800mAh. Its probably closer to 700-750mAh. The size is the same, it has to be, because the mini is a close fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I don't think they are lying. The original iPod battery couldn't have been 300mAh judging from the mini's specs and its much heavier. On a site here: like http://www.ipodjuice.com/ipod-mini-b...it-750-mAh.htm they have to be truthful, I'm sure that 800mAh batteries using different technology (other than Li-Poly) can be made.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:19 PM

m_k, thx! now i will try to find Express.

funman,
yep i thinkin about the difference in capacity
But this model is most suitable. =)

And for search i use only foto from ABI
=) hah. i think it isn't important what model used in clip.
I just try to find compatible model

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaClip
ATL-36383
In my broken Clip_v1 i find BAK 363830
I would not be surprised if it turnsthat in Clip+ used compatible battery
(differs from battery on disassembling foto) from other supplier.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaCharging
OF charging and discharging borders range from ~4.15v (fully charged) to ~3.3v
http://www.atlbattery.com/eng/Psheet3038.html
On graph u can see that min voltage in test - 3.0v =)
maybe "lost" capacity in this ? between 3.3v-3.0v ?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I don't think they are lying. The original iPod battery couldn't have been 300mAh judging from the mini's specs and its much heavier. On a site here: like http://www.ipodjuice.com/ipod-mini-b...it-750-mAh.htm they have to be truthful, I'm sure that 800mAh batteries using different technology (other than Li-Poly) can be made.
The Mini is a much bigger player than the Shuffle and surely used a bigger battery. It had a hard drive, remember!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM

Cracked open my v2 today because I was bored. Now I have a really ugly line about it and snapped off a plastic insert.
An iPod mini battery almost fits the dimensions, but it seems to be a little taller. A little hacking around can fit it in, but since my battery still works perfectly well I won't bother. In the future if I do switch them you guys will be the first to see.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Well, does it appropriate for sans clip+
Thanks.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/850mah-...o-models-34340

Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM

http://www.batterybay.net/SanDisk-Sa...-mpsf350sl.htm

This site sells various batteries, including the sansa fuze and others. The capacity of the battery for sansa clip does not matter what matters is the voltage, if it is 3.7 volts. When the battery in my clip+ I put it away a battery that has a capacity up to 1000mAh, alas it will take for me to have to recharge the battery again.
Sorry my poor english.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 PM

Hi there,

I opened my old clip to try to revive it.
I measured voltage directly at the batterry and after the small module which against the battery.
I have found 2.5V on the bat=depleted and 0 after the module.
Then I hook a specialized charger for liion directly to the bat. It went to 100% and around 4.0 4.1V which is normal behavior. But sadly after the module I have only 0.7V. I guess this is the defective part of the player. I have no idea how to replace it, repair it, or build something similar. If you have any interesting info please let me know. One interesting thing would be the normal value (instead of 0.7V), but replacement or schematic would help too.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by besir66 View Post
Well, does it appropriate for sans clip+
Thanks.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/850mah-...o-models-34340
Way too big dude! Dimensions: 1.85 in x 0.83 in x 0.35 in (4.7 cm x 2.1 cm x 0.9 cm)

Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM

My clip+ is in the mail, but I'm proactively trying to find a battery replacement solution, preferably with higher capacity, since it appears there's a tad more room in the case if you remove the foam tape, and go a bit longer in length.

Is the ipod battery in the beginning of this thread still the best solution (has the same capacity). anyone try another battery? the RC model community has all shapes and sizes of batteries.

My only other question was the "N" wire on the clip+. Research indicates this reads the resistance of a thermistor attached to that little board which is taped to the battery. Most lipo's don't have a thermistor, so I was wondering if we need to simulate one with a (10K) resistor, or if it'll charge the lipo if the N terminal is not connected. The thermistor is just an extra safety precaution, whereas it's resistance drops if it gets hot. If anyone has a multimeter and an open clip+, could you get an ohm reading between (N) and (-) whilst the clip is at room temperature?

thanks,
-edfardos
(first post!)