android
Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath View Post
Well...gapless almost! slight blip between songs when I listened to Dark Side of the Moon (Lame encoded MP3s).
Sigh. I figured as much.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Why doesn't sandisk embrace Rockbox is what baffles me?. It's a win win for everybody.
Sandisk wouldn't get anything out of rockbox, plus if they had anything to do with it i don't think it would stay as open as it is, if anything sansa would want to make it proprietary, etc.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Well...gapless almost! slight blip between songs when I listened to Dark Side of the Moon (Lame encoded MP3s). Rockbox smokes it IMHO!

Why doesn't sandisk embrace Rockbox is what baffles me?. It's a win win for everybody.
You might want to try re-ripping Dark Side. I just tested mine (MP3 rip) and it is truly gapless. The transitions between songs is truly seemless.

Last edited by ytsejam1138; 04-17-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well...gapless almost! slight blip between songs when I listened to Dark Side of the Moon (Lame encoded MP3s). Rockbox smokes it IMHO!
I listened to Disc 1 of The Wall, both in FLAC, and a LAME V2 conversion of said FLAC, and it was seamless both ways....and the FM volume thing that some complained about is cleared up as well.

I also tried a couple of live albums, and they both seemed to be perfectly gapless as well. Haven't tried DSOTM yet, as I'm currently giving that album a break for a little while.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Great can't wait to try out the gapless as well.

Now they should enhance it for the Fuze

Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Sigh. I figured as much.
Yay! I spoke too soon!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:50 PM

I installed the new firmware yesterday afternoon, and listened to my Clip+ on a three-hour trip. I immediately noticed that I had to turn the volume up completely on the Clip and on my brother's truck's stereo to hear anything. This was the case for every song. Last week, in the same vehicle, I didn't have this problem at all. When we got to my dad's house late last night, I re-installed the newest firmware and it apparently fixed the problem. Weird!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Theres a new firmware segment in this update:

"mp4_decoder"

Its shortish but contains things that look like integer signal processing code. Anyone tried an AAC file to see if it plays?

Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Theres a new firmware segment in this update:

"mp4_decoder"

Its shortish but contains things that look like integer signal processing code. Anyone tried an AAC file to see if it plays?
I just tried and the Clip+ doesn't even see an AAC file on the player. Maybe this will be a future implementation.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've just tried the new firmware (only because I compiled a new Rockbox bootloader with it), and while Vorbis was perfectly gapless for all tracks I tried, LAME tracks had audible clicks between them. So close, but still no cigar.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 PM

dfkt,

For sometime I thought I was crazy. the click is not as bad as it is used to be but it is there. I have not tried vorbis tracks. I am thinking of putting Rockbox back. I have the older build that was working fine for me.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I've just tried the new firmware (only because I compiled a new Rockbox bootloader with it), and while Vorbis was perfectly gapless for all tracks I tried, LAME tracks had audible clicks between them. So close, but still no cigar.
Huh....I wonder why you heard clicks and I didn't?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Because you didn't listen closely enough? Seriously, all LAME-encoded gapless tracks click for me, no matter what LAME version or preset, no exception. Some clicks are very faint, some are rather embedded into louder music and hard to make out, but there's no gapless tracks without clicks on my Clip+.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll have to try some quieter albums, maybe. I listened closely, at a decent volume level, and through my SR60i's, which are certainly revealing.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 PM

I also confirm clicks between tracks on the Clip+ with the latest firmware update. Thanks to dfkt for speaking the truth. I tried some tracks from the second half of Abbey Road in LAME MP3, FLAC, and OGG, and they all still had clicks. The Clip+ still doesn't feature gapless playback. The clicks seemed fainter than before, but there are still clicks.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richteratmosphere View Post
I also confirm clicks between tracks on the Clip+ with the latest firmware update. Thanks to dfkt for speaking the truth. I tried some tracks from the second half of Abbey Road in LAME MP3, FLAC, and OGG, and they all still had clicks. The Clip+ still doesn't feature gapless playback. The clicks seemed fainter than before, but there are still clicks.
Interesting, richteratmosphere.....dfkt heard no clicks with Vorbis, but you did. Must be some other variables in play here.

Now I just went back for another listen. Disc 1 of The Wall....I hear no clicks. Disc 2.....there were a couple transitions where I did hear something. DSOTM.....I could make out a couple.

I tried it with Abbey Road, but since I didn't rip it myself.... its a LAME 3.88(beta) rip....I can't verify if it was ripped the right way.....but I did hear a couple clicks through the medley.

Wilco's Kicking Televison-Live in Chicago (Disc 1) I heard one very slight click.

So, what are some other gapless albums, that I could test with, assuming I have them? I'm not going to bother converting any FLACs to Vorbis, since only one of my players would support it anyways.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 AM

Does the current Clip+ firmware support folder navigation? That was added to a recent Fuze drop but I can't seem to find info about it re the Clip or Clip+.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, it does. But it's not very good. For example, selecting a folder for playback doesn't move on to the next folder after it's finished, but stops or repeats the same folder.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actully, I find the folder view navigation just fine (and greatly anticipated/desired). Of course, as dfkt writes, I wish it had certain extra options, such as folder advance.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does. But it's not very good. For example, selecting a folder for playback doesn't move on to the next folder after it's finished, but stops or repeats the same folder.
Thanks. That's almost always what I want it to do (play an album from beginning to end, then stop). I agree that moving to the next folder would be a useful option some of the time and they might as well add it. Main thing is to not have to go berserk with mp3/ogg tag editors just to get the tracks on an album to play in the right order.