android
Old 10-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Reliability of Sansa Clip 8GB V2 and Clip+

It could be just me but I've sent three 8GB sansa clips back to Amazon over the last couple of months and finally went for a refund rather than replacement. It's been the same fault everytime. The player just stops and dies mid song. It won't reset and won't connect of the computer. The light at the switches comes on for a few seconds when I try to switch it on, but otherwise completely dead. Has anyone else had similar problems?
I'm reluctant to give up as it's such a good player. I'm currently surviving with a Sony stick player (4GB, no radio, no onboard delete and some idiotic zapin gimmic) - it's rubbish compared to the Clip.
I now spotted the Clip+ but wouldn't want to buy it if it going to die after a few weeks. Are these reliable?
gg

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have 2 clips and a one clip+ and so far have had no problems with any of them, but to be honest i have only had the clip+ a month
my 4gb and 8gb , i have used quite a bit and i don't think i ever had any problems with them

Are you getting refurbs from Amazon? or new players?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthecrowroad View Post
It could be just me but I've sent three 8GB sansa clips back to Amazon over the last couple of months and finally went for a refund rather than replacement. It's been the same fault everytime. The player just stops and dies mid song. It won't reset and won't connect of the computer. The light at the switches comes on for a few seconds when I try to switch it on, but otherwise completely dead. Has anyone else had similar problems?
I'm reluctant to give up as it's such a good player. I'm currently surviving with a Sony stick player (4GB, no radio, no onboard delete and some idiotic zapin gimmic) - it's rubbish compared to the Clip.
I now spotted the Clip+ but wouldn't want to buy it if it going to die after a few weeks. Are these reliable?
gg
I had an 8GB Clip from Valentine's Day up until September, and it gave me no problems, despite daily use.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've had no problems with either a Clip or Clip+. My hunch is that the Clip+ may have a sturdier build than the Clip (and in the past month, I haven't heard of any build issues). You may want to give it a go.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:59 PM

sounds like you've been really unlucky. i use my 8gb clip every day without fail and it never misses a beat.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post

Are you getting refurbs from Amazon? or new players?
They were new ones.
I just looking for some reassurance that these players aren't lemons because they do everything I want them to do and don't really know if its worth getting another one. As has been said, I guess I've just been unlucky. I think I'm going to order a Clip+ when get the money back for Amazon.
Thanks everyone.

GG

Old 10-10-2009, 11:49 PM

My 2g clip has done that - usually when I'm ff or reversing in a track. I've found the player returns to life the following day after the battery's discharged. My DD's 4G (also a refurb) does the same thing. Try letting the battery drain and then see if it will power on when you plug in the usb. Hope it works for you.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 AM

I have 4 clips, 2 new and 2 refurbs of which 3 are v1’s. One of the new v1s had battery issue in the first 3 months and sandisk replaced it no problem and the others are over a year old or older and they all work great, could it be bad luck you’ve had.

On another note, the refurbs I've received look brand new and work better than the new one I had to replace, so I have no issues buying refurbs.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think that refurbs sometimes have become a way for manf.'s to unload extra (and new) product. I purchased an additional ac power supply for my laptop which was labeled a refurb (and which came in a plain box), even though it appeared never to have been used (neither the electrical cord nor the twist-tie wrapping it appeared ever to have been unbent)--and got it at 25% the cost of a "new" ac supply (sold at the typical ridiculously high price).

Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthecrowroad View Post
I've sent three 8GB sansa clips back to Amazon over the last couple of months {...} It's been the same fault everytime. {...}
At first glance, this badly sounds like a layer-8-problem. It remembers me of my old job. We were manufacturing UPS machines and thus, some locations in the factory buildings were a no-go for a device like the Clip. My boss killed several ATM-cards just by walking through the (seemingly) safe-spots inside a test bay before he realized that it was his fault.
I could have killed a Clip easily because I was working at an induction soldering station.
You know this is just an example. I don't want to point my dirty finger at you, just give another point of view.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 PM

My 4gb clip+ gets more use than a fat girl's ice cream spoon and it's been solid for me, never had a problem in OF and rockbox is depending on how it's going over there stable or not hehe, but i update rockbox on my clip what seems to be several times daily as of late.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677