android
Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 PM

Angry Zune HD Formats self

So I unlock my zune and enter in my password wrong. I enter it wrong again, and again once more. Turns out I was changing the 2nd and 4th number. A message at the bottom flashed too quickly to see - and I proceeded to reenter my password, but then...

The screen goes black
I see the zune logo
the zune boots
I unlock
and
all my stuff is gone.

No videos
no podcasts
no apps
no music
no ANYTHING

I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen because I've done it before (fail pass 3 times) and it doesn't format. I haven't hacked the Zune and have a few 3rd party apps from zHDapps.com (NOT openzsdk apps)

"What the hell just happened?"

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 PM

After you enter your password incorrectly a few times (i think its about 4? or 5?) A message comes up asking you if youd like to erase all the content on your Zune.

Im guessing you accidentally pressed yes, so it removed everything.

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 AM

If you forget the code, you must erase the player. The Zune player automatically prompts you to erase the data after you enter the incorrect code three times in a row.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957038

Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 AM

Dude exact same thing that happen to me... Lol I thought it would do like iPod "disabled for 5 mins" and bam I press yes and it erase everything...

Erase everything to access the ZuneHD? Fail! But win for thieves....

Old 04-23-2010, 11:11 AM

Not the best solution in the world... because basically if you got on someone's bad side, they could just wipe out your player without any effort.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendude View Post
Not the best solution in the world... because basically if you got on someone's bad side, they could just wipe out your player without any effort.
I reckon this is more of an effort to protect the content providers than the customer.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 PM

There is Marketplace on the player too. Is it like the software where it is just a click to buy points with no need to enter credit card info, etc? If so, a thief could just download and download on your dime if they stole the player.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 AM

Oh god, the lock code is completely useless. It could even actually be HARMFUL.
I had a Zune 80 get stolen from me in school. It had a passcode on it. When they catch the guy who stole it, all they ask me to do is prove it's mine, since the guy claimed his grandma gave it to him. I tell them a few albums/movies/my zune tag, and NONE of it matches, so I have to dig through my emails from Zune Originals to prove it. I figured out later that he easily cleared the Zune and evidence of my ownership by entering the code wrong 4 times. Then later, I had to resync my ENTIRE 42gb library.
All in all, the code is just a waste of time. The only way it could be effective is, if forgotten, the Zune must be connected to a computer it has previously synced with.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiamhighx View Post
Oh god, the lock code is completely useless. It could even actually be HARMFUL.
I had a Zune 80 get stolen from me in school. It had a passcode on it. When they catch the guy who stole it, all they ask me to do is prove it's mine, since the guy claimed his grandma gave it to him. I tell them a few albums/movies/my zune tag, and NONE of it matches, so I have to dig through my emails from Zune Originals to prove it. I figured out later that he easily cleared the Zune and evidence of my ownership by entering the code wrong 4 times. Then later, I had to resync my ENTIRE 42gb library.
All in all, the code is just a waste of time. The only way it could be effective is, if forgotten, the Zune must be connected to a computer it has previously synced with.
Agreed! I had to resync a lot of my stuff, and now I have to go on a movie-converting spree...

Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Dude exact same thing that happen to me... Lol I thought it would do like iPod "disabled for 5 mins" and bam I press yes and it erase everything...

Just the opposite. If your zune gets stolen, your chances of getting it back are small to zero. But your account and points will be protected.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I reckon this is more of an effort to protect the content providers than the customer.
I'm not sure how it would protect them... Yes, they could reverse sync your content, but a thief can probably get all the content they want from torrents anyway... I think of it more like protecting me... I don't want my personal photos falling into a strangers hands. And, as noted, your zune account is protected as well.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Sub-Forum Moderator

The best way to prove it's yours is with the serial number. Make sure you've registered it at zune.net, too.
The pin isn't really there to protect your zune (although it does protect your personal content...like pictures...) as much as it's there to protect your points and account.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM

I seem to have had a weird occurrence then. When I went to Reno for a jazz festival, I hardly used my Zune since I got my new Pre Plus, and when I got back and checked my Zune, it was wiped. All content. And I had no pass code enabled as well. Anyone had this happen?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
I seem to have had a weird occurrence then. When I went to Reno for a jazz festival, I hardly used my Zune since I got my new Pre Plus, and when I got back and checked my Zune, it was wiped. All content. And I had no pass code enabled as well. Anyone had this happen?
It wasn't wiped...you had a massive data corruption event. It happens usually to hard drive models (dropped for instance) but can occur on the flash units too. Your data is probably all there, but inaccessible. Look at your reserved space before you reformat and resync... it'll most likely be huge. there's your stuff, except the zune can't figure out what it is, or where one file ends, and the next one begins...

Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
It wasn't wiped...you had a massive data corruption event. It happens usually to hard drive models (dropped for instance) but can occur on the flash units too. Your data is probably all there, but inaccessible. Look at your reserved space before you reformat and resync... it'll most likely be huge. there's your stuff, except the zune can't figure out what it is, or where one file ends, and the next one begins...
There wasn't any reserved file space when I plugged the Zune in.