android
Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, no idea about m3u files in this instance.

But yes, I have 100% success with pla files using songs from both microsdhc card and main memory using YAPL.

Look up the YAPL thread from the program creator Dunny...I mention my success and comments there at the end.

YAPL is not perfect - it was a bit slow to load up my fully loaded 8GB+16GB Fuze, and also scrolling through the list was a bit slow with screen refresh, but small price to pay IMO for having a single app via MSC allow me to create mix and match playlists from both main and SD card memory.

Worth checking out if you want/need that sort of thing as I do.

I'd be happy to up a screen shot of YAPL in action for you, as well as screenshots of the files which get created on the Fuze itself.

cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, here you go...And again, i am not using m3u playlists...

#1: Screenshot of Win Explorer view of Fuze + 16GB card [I only have 2 playlists created so far]:

#2: Opened up 1 of the playlists using Notepad: note the mmc:1 vs mmc:0 locations denoting either main memory of Fuze or SD card:

#3: YAPL, once it has finished loading my Fuze and SD card. Note: Initial load time with YAPL was several minutes...after that, a local db is created on my PC i believe and subsequent load times are very much quicker:

#4: Clicking on "Untitled Playlist" in upper right corner opens menu choices, including: New Playlist, Open..., Merge..., Save..., Rename Playlist, Clear Playlist, Sort [4 levels] and Stored Playlists...Note: you can save your playlist both on the device and also locally on your PC:

Again, YAPL is not perfect, but it does work just as advertised and has been very stable for me. I love it and big credit to ABi member Dunny for coding this. Hopefully a smoother, faster refreshing v5 of the app is coming for Win.

There are other ways to create playlists on Fuze of course, but this is the only GUI I have found so far - and to me this is the simplest no muss no fuss way to get it done.

Especially strong for the invaluable ability to mix main memory and external card media on the same playlist.

Kinda surprised that more playlist/Fuze owners using MSC don't use this great app more.

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Kinda surprised that more playlist/Fuze owners using MSC don't use this great app more.
Well the micro card in my Fuze is currently empty, and the main memory is nowhere near full (about 60% of the 4GB I think). So I haven't exactly needed YAPL.

Steve

Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

FreeZ5: LOL...my musical A.D.D. must be getting worse - only time any of my DAPs even approach having 40% remaining storage capacity is when I first taken 'em out of the box. :-)

Still, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on YAPL if you ever get around to it...

cheers!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Lestatar, you may want to check the playlist capabilities of video4fuze. I used both YAPL and video4fuze before I Rockboxed my V1 Fuze. Both are very capable programs but the feature set of video4fuze fit my needs better.

There's no pre-reading of the drives on startup. The program allows you to browse to the files on the internal and external drives and include them in an integrated list. YAPL does scan very quickly but accessing a full 8 GB card and player does take a minute or so. I also found that the creation and saving of playlists more closely followed the way I was accustomed to creating .m3u playlists in XMPlay or fooby2k.

Once Rockbox was supported on the V1 Fuze I no longer needed any external programs to create playlists that included both memories but they both were very helpful and functional. Thanks to both developers Dunny and ssorgatem.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hi skip252: Thanks so much for the tip! I will definitely investigate video4fuze myself to see how it works for me...

@OP: Give both apps a shot!

-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-06-2010, 03:20 AM

Default Simplistic approach to Playlists fromLinux

I've tried using both windows media player and most of the linux varieties as well, to try and create playlists on my Sansa Fuze. Finally got so irritated with the problem that I looked into how to do playlists with your every day text editor. I use "vi" and the "unix2dos" utility. Simplistic but it works. On my SD card I found a directory labeled "MUSIC" and under it a second tier of directories including "Music" and "Playlists". In the "Playlists" directory for each playlist I wanted I had to put two files: playlist_name.pla and playlist_name.pla.refs

The first is an empty file. On linux make it using the standard utility "touch", i.e. cd to the Playlists subdir and "touch playlist_name.pla".

for example "touch eurythmics.pla" to make a playlist of eurythmics songs. Then on my host computer I made the file "eurythmics.pla.refs", ran the utility "unix2dos" on it and then copied it to the "Playlists" directory.

My current "eurythmics.pla.refs" file is:

/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/Eurythmics-babys_coming_back.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-here_comes_the_rain_again.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-love_is_a_stranger.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-the_king_and_queen_of_america.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-who_s_that_girl.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-dreams_are_made_of_this.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-i_need_a_man.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-missionary_man.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-when_tomorrow_comes.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-would_i_lie_to_you.mp3

Each of these lines is a hard coded path to the mp3 file that I would want played. In this forum's display they may have been broken in order to fit.
NOTE that "mmc:1" refers to the sd card. "/mmc:0:" would refer to the fuze's main memory.
And that was pretty much it. Very simple. I believe but haven't tested the theory that the path names can handle embedded blanks. Don't much like blanks in general because they screw up a lot of file search and sorting. YMMV.

best regards

Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3espada View Post
I've tried using both windows media player and most of the linux varieties as well, to try and create playlists on my Sansa Fuze. Finally got so irritated with the problem that I looked into how to do playlists with your every day text editor. I use "vi" and the "unix2dos" utility. Simplistic but it works. On my SD card I found a directory labeled "MUSIC" and under it a second tier of directories including "Music" and "Playlists". In the "Playlists" directory for each playlist I wanted I had to put two files: playlist_name.pla and playlist_name.pla.refs

The first is an empty file. On linux make it using the standard utility "touch", i.e. cd to the Playlists subdir and "touch playlist_name.pla".

for example "touch eurythmics.pla" to make a playlist of eurythmics songs. Then on my host computer I made the file "eurythmics.pla.refs", ran the utility "unix2dos" on it and then copied it to the "Playlists" directory.

My current "eurythmics.pla.refs" file is:

/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/Eurythmics-babys_coming_back.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-here_comes_the_rain_again.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-love_is_a_stranger.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-the_king_and_queen_of_america.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-who_s_that_girl.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-dreams_are_made_of_this.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-i_need_a_man.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-missionary_man.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-when_tomorrow_comes.mp3
/mmc:1:/MUSIC/Music/Eurythmics/eurythmics-would_i_lie_to_you.mp3

Each of these lines is a hard coded path to the mp3 file that I would want played. In this forum's display they may have been broken in order to fit.
NOTE that "mmc:1" refers to the sd card. "/mmc:0:" would refer to the fuze's main memory.
And that was pretty much it. Very simple. I believe but haven't tested the theory that the path names can handle embedded blanks. Don't much like blanks in general because they screw up a lot of file search and sorting. YMMV.

best regards
Hey j3espada: See my post #42 in this thread in case you missed it.

Indeed, this way to create playlists on the Fuze will work on Win machines - cannot speak to Linux though.

Spaces in the filenames are ok, provided they are obviously consistent/identical between the playlist reference and the actual filename. And yes, your "mmc:1" vs "mmc:0" distinction is correct.

However, for Win machines, I have used with 100% success YAPL and video4Fuze - both are free applications with GUIs and both are capable of creating mixed media [main mem and external card] playlists. Search for references to these apps here on the forums. Use this if you don't want to manually create the playlists files by hand.

hth,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 AM

I've tried your solutions and they all seems to work great. Thanks

I can't seem to get the playlists loading if both music and playlists are saved on the sd card.

I've tried to place them in the MUSIC folder (of the sd card), as well as on its root. I've also change mmc:0 to mmc:1, with luck.

Is there a way to overcome this limitation?
Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

terataz: Nope, not that I have found.

Under original Sandisk Fuze firmware, the playlists must live in the main mem of the device, under MUSIC>PLAYLISTS.

But the mixed media playlists will indeed work.

:-)

-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Under original Sandisk Fuze firmware, the playlists must live in the main mem of the device, under MUSIC>PLAYLISTS.
Sorry lestatar, but I can't agree with you on this point. Maybe if you are in MTP mode, but I can't be bothered to test that.

I use MSC mode, and my playlists are in the root directory of main memory or the root directory of the micro card.

I also haven't used YAPL or editted to create mixed source playlists.

EDIT: I just noticed that in MSC mode, there isn't a PLAYLISTS directory in main memory, but there is a PLAYLISTS directory on the card.

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 07-24-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

in mtp mode playlists do not need to be in the playlists folder, thats a myth, you can make per folder playlists as well as multi folder playlists and leave it wherever and it will work, infact packing to many playlists into the same area/folder of the player causes more issues then anything else for the OF(know from vast experience with this player and issue)

Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Sorry lestatar, but I can't agree with you on this point. Maybe if you are in MTP mode, but I can't be bothered to test that.

I use MSC mode, and my playlists are in the root directory of main memory or the root directory of the micro card.

I also haven't used YAPL or editted to create mixed source playlists.

EDIT: I just noticed that in MSC mode, there isn't a PLAYLISTS directory in main memory, but there is a PLAYLISTS directory on the card.

Steve
Hmmm, you could well be right there my friend! I may indeed have jumped the gun - I think Fuze can see and use playlists that live both on main mem and under the Playlists folder on the root of the device [and the card].

'Course I now am too lazy to test this again on my own Fuze as I have no intention of ever launching the original FW ever again...

As for YAPL, if I were still using the OF and I needed playlists [especially mixed media playlists] it and video4Fuze are great!

cheers,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

I have a wonderfull little app that makes m3u's but dosnt support m3u8(that should allow playlists that contain both main mem and sd card files)

if you know any programers who could make a newer version let me know, I think tons of people would thank you greatly

Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

For the sake of completeness, i've just found out that the Sansa Fuze v.2 CAN have the .m3u file in the sd storage card toghether with all the mp3 that is targeting. It won't appear in the Playlist folder of Rockbox, but if you navigate the files and play the .m3u from storage card, it will work.

Correct syntax, as explained in this post , is the following:

/<microSD1>/Music/New Folder/Andrew Bird - Masterswarm.mp3
/##MUSIC#/Music/Albert Collins - Tired Man.mp3

thanks
Terataz

Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 PM

If it was not said already, if used at the root, without any modified firmware (like rockbox), you have to use this structure :

Code:
MUSIC\folder1\folder2\file.mp3
More Exemples :

MUSIC\ABBA-Gimme Gimme Gimme.mp3
MUSIC\ABBA\The Complete Recordings\ABBA-Gimme Gimme Gimme.mp3
That works with MSC perfectly in m3u and m3u8 formats. Tested.

You can use a text editor to edit a m3u/m3u8 playlist you made with your favorite audio player. For the microSD cards, I haven't tested yet on my new Fuze though.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Default YAPL > Drive Spanning Playlist Success!

I'm not running Rockbox and finally got a playlist working using YAPL, even though (for me) YAPL does not list the songs on the Fuze internal memory (but does picture the DAP on the left of the application as drive G. I'm using firmware v02.03.33a.
  1. Attach Fuze in MSC mode (Settings > System Settings > USB Mode) to PC and launch YAPL.
  2. Drag 'n' drop in YAPL to create a playlist comprising of songs on external microSDHC card. This results in a zero-byte .PLA and matching .PLA.REFS file.
  3. Edit the .REFS file in a text editor (not Notepad) set to LF only (not LF/CR).
  4. Manually insert song entries (those on internal memory) above the existing microSDHC card entries using this exact format (note forward slashes in red):

Code:
    /mmc:0:/##MUSIC#/MUSIC/Beatles - Hello Goodbye.mp3
  5. Save the .REFS file.
  6. Change the timestamp of the .REFS file to exactly match those of the .PLA file (I used SKTimeStamp).
  7. Copy the .PLA and .REFS files to the root of the Fuze (internal memory).

I don't know if step 6 is required, but I added it when I earlier met with repeated failure. If songs on the internal memory drive are in individual folders, you'll need to adjust the filepaths accordingly, e.g.,
Code:
/mmc:0:/##MUSIC#/MUSIC/Beatles/Beatles - Hello Goodbye.mp3
 /mmc:0:/##MUSIC#/MUSIC/Donovan/Donovan - Mellow Yellow.mp3
Regards,

> Jag

Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Default List manipulation the easy way

In case this is useful to anyone:

I've been in touch with YAPL's author and expect an update (based on my findings) some time in the near future. It seems that SanDisk messed with the directory structure in-between firmware upgrades and that is the reason why YAPL can recognize my Fuze (fw 02.03.33a) and give it a drive letter, but cannot locate the MUSIC directory on :mmc:0: (its internal memory).

Once I created the original .PLA and .REFS files that reveal only with those songs on the microSDHC card (see earlier post), here's a further explanation regarding how I made it easier to quickly create a new .REFS that includes my :mmc:0: contents. Note that I have a master XLS sheet I use to maintain my Fuze collection; one of its columns is labeled "Ski List" (for example), with a checkmark in the corresponding cell for each track I want in that playlist. (I have a unique column for each playlist). I then sorted the XLS first by the "Ski List" header (column B in this case), then by location on the Fuze (int versus ext). This yielded a list of those tracks that are on :mmc:0: and I want included in the "Ski List".

In one move, I then easily copied those artist - song title cells to a new file in the non-Notepad text editor, saving the result as a .TXT file (this has LFs only, not LF/CRs). Next, I did a Select All and copied the contents to a blank, unsaved MS Word document.

In Word, I did a Search & Replace, replacing every instance of ^p (a linefeed) with
Code:
^p/mmc:0:/##MUSIC#/MUSIC/
Instead of:

AC DC - It's A Long Way To the Top.mp3
Beatles - Hello Goodbye.mp3
Donovan - Mellow Yellow.mp3

I now had:

AC DC - It's A Long Way To the Top.mp3
/mmc:0:/##MUSIC#/MUSIC/Beatles/Beatles - Hello Goodbye.mp3
/mmc:0:/##MUSIC#/MUSIC/Donovan/Donovan - Mellow Yellow.mp3

All that was left to do was to manually add the /mmc:0:/##MUSIC#/MUSIC/ string as a preface to the first song because there is no ^p in that position.

Now I did another Select All and copied the contents to the original Ski List.REFS file (already open in my non-Notepad text editor), inserting these new entries above the original :mmc:1: entries. A File > Save and all is set.

The last steps are to change the timestamp on the .REFS file (to match its corresponding .PLA) and copy both the .PLA and .REFS to the root of the Fuze.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Good stuff Jagdriver! Very helpful to folks
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Thanks.

It's amazing what kind of replies I got when I posted the same info on the official Sansa Fuze forum (bunch of maroons over there, it seems).