android
Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Default Just purchased Emmeline "The Black Bird" SR-71A

I decided after reading very positive reviews of various Emmeline headphone amps to order The Black Bird SR-71A portable headphone amp.

I called and was surprised to speak to the man himself, well one thing is for sure, took only seconds to decide ,pay and now I am waiting for this little gem.

Should not take long and I cannot wait. Next up The Raptor ,currently 3 week wait.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

Why didn't you go for the gold - the predator?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBrat View Post
Why didn't you go for the gold - the predator?
The Predator has a USB DAC on top,not gold at all. I will never turly use these as portable amps,so I will send the signal to the SR71A from a Belcanto DAC(better than any micro portable DAC you can get)

And in any case, if I feel like it I will order The Predator too.

Monday is the day my SR71A arrives.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

The Grace M902 has a DAC, that doesn't bug you?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
The Grace M902 has a DAC, that doesn't bug you?
Nope and that is why I purchased the Grace, to have a DAC/amp. But the amp section is superior to the DAC in the Grace m902. My Benchmark same thing amp/DAc in the Benchmark the DAC is superior to the Grace. SO it is better balanced.

I like to vary my purchases.

So many great mini and full size headphone amps, now I am going with several from Ray Samuels. The Thunderbolt looks sweet, expensive but should just about stand at or near the top of the headphone amp world.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

I treat my headphone system as separates just like my big system, Preamp Meitner Pa-6i PLUS (I might upgrade to a Jeff Rowland Consonance), Amp; Luxman P200, DAC; NONE (Looking in to one of the Meitner one's)
But generally at home I just use my speakers. (they go down to 17hz so I don't really need a sub, but I keep my eye out for a Talon Roc)

Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM

I like a mix of separates and sometimes preamps/DAC if they perform well. In the purist world you even have three piece DAC's. Even an atomic clock to keep things timed to perfection. There is always something more to reach for the stars. Jeff Rowland is one of the few companies who takes sound perfection and function of each part to the next level. The build quality of a Jeff Rowland is second to none,ok maybe to Boulder and Nagra.Jeff Rowland makes Krell FPB line look and feel like mass market goods.

This said pics of my arrival to be posted in ...

One crappy pic ,I seriously need a quality camera. I'll get some basic Canon SLR and be done with it.

Last edited by TheEAR; 04-12-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Yeah, krell never struck me as super hi end, I like meitner, but a lot of people wont buy his stuff because he keeps upgrading it after he releases it and those upgrades can be expensive!, I like this Ray Samuel stuff though, well built!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
does it still take 9v batteries
Yes two, I have whole packs of Duracell Lithium 9V batteries so... Yes it is not as light as some ultra slim Pico and others, but this is not an issue here.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 PM

@ TheEAR,

How do you like the SR-71A now that you've spent some quality time with it?

I've been using this amp for quite a while. Mine gets a lot of use. In low gain, sensitive IEMs work great...dead silent. In high gain it can really push full size cans. I have a couple pairs of Tysonic low discharge 200 MAH and one pair of iPowerUS Li-Polymer 500 MAH rechargeables.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 AM

I tend to agree, the size and weight should be any factor with your new amp as my original pico is just fine and itís a similar size as your new amp. I couldnít comment on the SR-71A other than Iím not a rs fan but Iím sure it performs fine.

BTW GreatDane did the slim arrive yet?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I tend to agree, the size and weight should be any factor with your new amp as my original pico is just fine and itís a similar size as your new amp. I couldnít comment on the SR-71A other than Iím not a rs fan but Iím sure it performs fine.

BTW GreatDane did the slim arrive yet?
Hi, no I don't have lil' Pico yet. I'm # 91 on Justin's list so it should be within a couple weeks...I hope.

I had never been a fan of RS amps. I wanted a P-51 really bad after reading the hype. It did sound very good but lacked enough power for cans. HD 650 sounded very good at low/med volume but it clipped when trying to rock. Pico has quite a bit more power for HD 650. I sold the P-51 not long after acquiring. After that, I bought the SR-71A...with no intention to sell. I bought mine used for $250 from a very generous Head-Fi member.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
Hi, no I don't have lil' Pico yet. I'm # 91 on Justin's list so it should be within a couple weeks...I hope.
I bet you can't wait, hope to hear your impressions ... I still feel I can't fully comment on mine, but hopefully soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
I had never been a fan of RS amps. ...
I meant the man and not the gear, but sounds like you got a good deal and your happy, which is all that counts

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc