android
Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 AM

Default No experience with AMPs!!! Please suggest

Hi everybody,
as a new member and totally non-experienced with Apm's. Actually, I was using my iPod Cliassic 30Gb for a couple of years with Sony MDR-J10 - Clip-On In-Ear. I did some reading and purchased SoundMagic PL50 IEM just to taste a water. It is very nice improvement and I thinking to upgrade soon (considering RE0, CK10, ER4P, HJE900 ).
Off course I found out that there;s something called "Portable Headphone Amps" that can probably improve SQ from Ipod (not very happy what I hear, from what I read). But since I totally without knowledge about Amp's (not sure what's LOD and DAC exactly in practical meaning and how to use it) and would like to have better SQ, and preferably soundstage, bass not much of importance to me.

So I'm writing this and looking for advice what to do and what to buy with following:

iPod classic + (Amp up to $100 with possible soundstage and SQ improvment) + (IEM $150-$200).

If have to go ~$100 possible choice of IEM would be RE0.

What is your suggestion for good, durable Amp.

I 've noticed some folks started with Fii0's, but I would rather buy something with more quality and put money in better equipment. After all this is a great forum and it's understandable (for me) to have best opinions right here...lol!

Thank you very much!

Last edited by goranilic; 03-21-2010 at 02:45 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have had the opportunity to listen to a red wine imod on several occasions and do believe it sounds heads above the normal ipod, although I am not an ipod user or own one. This process is expensive and can take you into the realm of a lot of dubious snake oil cable (LOD) selling companies (I don’t mean any implication to Red Wine Audio) but just their statement of it takes “200+ hours of burn-in time to sound their best,” for electronic components is just one example of my point.

On a more affordable note, Captain-Odegard, aka Andreas has a DIY for ipod LOD, which IMHO is a must watch.

I have also seen inexpensive LOD’s like the FiiO LOD for $8.79.

As far as recommending an amp, rather than burden you with what I own and what I have on order and why. You might want to look at our list of affordable amps here and you may want to read my opinion on portable amps here. I would strongly recommend doing a lot of research and reading so that you don’t over pay and end up being satisfied.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 AM

Thank you for input

So far I came up with pa2v2 and Linearosa W1, any info how good they are?...And can you recommend something else in this price range, please?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You may enjoy reading the 48 portable roundup, but I'm willing to bet that most if not all are over your price point but it may give you some ideas as well.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM

Actually, I did read this 'roundup' before I posted here. That's how I came up with Linearosa W1....and yes unfortunately, most of them are more than $100!!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I probably wouldn't bother using an amp if I was you. You'll get little gain with your player and those IEMs probably aren't very hard to drive.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I probably wouldn't bother using an amp if I was you. You'll get little gain with your player and those IEMs probably aren't very hard to drive.
X2.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goranilic View Post
Thank you for input

So far I came up with pa2v2 and Linearosa W1, any info how good they are?...And can you recommend something else in this price range, please?
I have a PVA2 and love it, my first headphone amp.

For the money it just simply can't be beat, I think.

To add, Gary Ali is fantastic, the amp is made in Canada and he is just great for service and VERY obliging.

My PAV2 is my constant companion whether to work or on bus trips to Cleveland from Toronto.

For $60CAD, the BEST value, at least based on what I've heard of my PAV2 so far.

Hope this helps

Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It would help if you mentioned what phones you use with it. Cause with efficient, sensitive IEMs the PA2V2 doesn't work overly well, and it's also not powerful enough to drive really high impedance phones as well. In my experience it works best in a 'sweet spot', for phones somewhere between 50 and 100 Ohm.