android
Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Default Looking for headphones for s9

Right now I'm using 12 dollar skullcandy smoke ear buds and I don't like the way they sound with the s9 so I was hoping someone could recommend some new in ear headphones.

I'm not into too much bass, I listen to a lot of rock (hard, alternative, etc.) and trance music. I like the music to sound real crisp, clear. I'm also broke so 30 dollars or less is the limit. LOL.

Thanx.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM

In that price range, I'd look at the JVC marshmallow's or the air cushion's.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
In that price range, I'd look at the JVC marshmallow's or the air cushion's.
ok, I don't know if you are being serious or just sarcastic because jvc headphones cost like eight bucks in the corner store by my house so I know they are probably crappy. I meant Sony or Sennheisser or Creative brand earphones that sound good with the s9......but not expensive. Paying 70 dollars for earphones is a bit much.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
ok, I don't know if you are being serious or just sarcastic because jvc headphones cost like eight bucks in the corner store by my house so I know they are probably crappy. I meant Sony or Sennheisser or Creative brand earphones that sound good with the s9......but not expensive. Paying 70 dollars for earphones is a bit much.
The price range you are talking about, the best choices are probably what he said.....you can't expect much for less than $30. You can't get a whole lot in that range. Also, the JVC ones in your store might not be the ones he mentioned, either.

The alternative would be to use the enhancements and EQ to try and improve the crapcandies.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
ok, I don't know if you are being serious or just sarcastic ... ...
I wouldn’t recommend them if they weren’t good for the price, which they are. Are you going to get fantastic sq like you get from ue11s, shure se350s, sennheiser ie8's, absolutely not, but you did say “broke so 30 dollars or less is the limit.” You also said “I'm not into too much bass,” so I didn’t recommend the sennheiser cx300’s as you would most likely find them to have too much bass for you.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Yup I got my marshmellow for less then $10 at a big lots store and Circuit City even sold them for less then ten for a while. They are not half bad really. I know that sounds crazy bit it is true. Plus the Kramer mod makes them a bit more sparkly. Id say they are veiled and a bit bass heavy before the mod.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:03 PM

thanx for recommending the marshmallows but I saw some Creative and Sennheiser earphones for 40.00. I have been playing with the eq settings but the sound is not what I'd hoped so I'm just taking a guess that I should invest in better headphones. I've looked in the forums and it seems like no one uses skullcandy with cowon, but lots of people use Shure. But I really wonder how much of a difference earphones make when it comes to sound quality.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
… … … But I really wonder how much of a difference earphones make when it comes to sound quality.
If you ever get the chance to test some high end headphones you’ll understand that IMHO it makes a world of difference, probably the biggest noticeable difference when comparing the sq of different DAP’s.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:49 PM

Unfortunately I decided to chuck my spending limit and splurge a little . I bought some Klipsch s4. But now my s9 doesn't sound like s**t . So it was worth it.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM

You should enjoy those and yes, you will be getting plenty of bass from what I understand.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 AM

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, but I'm looking for decent around the ear earbuds in the $30-60 range. What would you guys recommend for that?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM

you mean sport earbuds?
or ones that wrap around the back of the ear, like the IE8 or PFEs?
If the former, then what you want to check the sennheiser range.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Uhm, the Sennheiser OMX 60 style is what I'm referring to: combination around-the-ear hoops and in-the-ear-canal silicone earbuds. (Unless I'm being silly and that's not really what I'm seeing.)

Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM

yeh, thats the sports earbuds I was referring to. Thats what most sites and companies will sell them as. I'd stay stick with them, or something similar from sennheiser. If it aint broke, and all that.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

JVC FX-66 - I highly recommend these and the treble is crystal clear for the $30.00 price range.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Ok, I'm having a hard time understanding the logic behind this conversation. You spend $200 or close to $300 on an audiophile's wet dream, the s9, but want to use crappy earphones with it? Say it ain't so??? My last mp3 player, a samsung p2 was paired with a pair of shure E3C's. They are still some of the best playing, affordable earphones. However, the E3C's or their replacement model, will cost you over $135.00. Why did I spend so much on headphones? Well, why would you buy a $3000 digital camera and then not purchase the correct lens for it? If you want to hear crappy music then buy a headphone that's $30 or less. Seriously, anything around this price or lower is crap. Not necessarily bad if you pair a $30 headset with a sansa or other player but don't try to pair anything in this price range with a Samsung P3 or a Cowon S9. It's audio suicide and I can't even imagine how painful the sound coming out of the headphones would be.

What am I using right now with my S9? Well, I'm using an emergency set of Zagg headphones, yes, the maker of invisible shield's, product line. They are nice and I bought them last year after two of my Shure E3C's died on me. Shure earbuds are notorious for having one of the earbuds eventually cut out on you. My Zaggs are backups. I have on order a pair of Sennheiser IE7's to pair with my S9. Oh, and I got my IE7's for a deep discount because it was an open box. So, I didn't pay $179 for them. It was more in the $100 price range.

The point is, there are some really good headphones in the $100 price range that sound amazing. If you go on to jetmall the only earbuds that they offer on their site are the sennheiser's. I know we all have different budgets but I recommend to all of you to save, save, save. If you have an s9 you won't hear what you're missing until you actually "move up" to a pair of quality headphones or earbuds.

Last edited by markmp3guy; 03-11-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: additional comments

Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Chelly, thanks for recommending the Klipsh S4's. I bought them as a backup to the IE7 Sennheiser's that I picked up for a great price. However, I have to say this is the first pair of earbuds that I've purchased that actually are less than $100 but in the same league as my Shure E3C's. These headphones get a "thumbs up" from me and also get a big "wow" for the wow factor. I read all of the reviews online and was actually going back and forth between these and a set of Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220 Noise Isolating ear buds. Both were about the same price but I picked up and "open" box from a market place seller. The big selling point is the two year warranty that they are willing to provide for these buds. That's unheard of except for high end products like Shure. In fact, that's what saved me twice with my Shure's. Twice they went out on me and I was able to get a replacement pair for free. These, and the IE7's make my S9 sound like it's supposed to. Thanks again!!!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:05 PM

i was about to start a new thread, but seems the discussion is on here already. I'm looking for some extra earphones for my S9, but won't like spending more then €80 (100$) on it. Right at this moment i got the sennheiser MX85II-earphones, but it seems most phones are IEM nowadays. Aren't those not bad for your ears compared to normal earbuds like the sennheiser MX-series or the standard-type like you get with your S9? Besides that, i've spent some time reading reviews and recommandations on this forum (and others) and I've set my mind on the Hippo VB's. Anyway from Europe (Belgium, Netherlands,...) has experience on buying them? Or someone has other recommandations in the same price range? I'm looking for decent, detailed bass, not too loaded and crisp clear audio. And i hate midbass

thx in advance!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
......but not expensive. Paying 70 dollars for earphones is a bit much.

Good advice:
Save your money for earphones, that can reproduce the sound quality of the cowon. Don't waste your money on crap, otherwise you will buy twice or more and even not happy with them.
Further when you even won't expend 70$, you really don't need a player like Cowon S9.
There are no earphones on the market, that can sound really clear in your price range, maybe you're think about it