android
Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Default A few general questions on the Clip+

Hi there,

after the sudden death of my sturdy Sansa e280 (broken display), I'm looking into buying a Clip+. After reading on this player, some questions remain:

• Wheel: Can you scroll with the Clip+ without pressing the buttons, i.e. is there some kind of wheel? If so, does it have "scrolling acceleration", which means that after scrolling for some time it will go faster?
  • Starting with specific song, then continue randomly: Is there a way to browse an album and start a song, then have random songs played from any album afterwards? On the other hand, can you play songs randomly, but when you encounter a song from an album you like, continue with that album seamlessly?
  • Random playback: What's the fastest way to activate/deactivate random playback while a song is playing? Is there a quick key for that?
  • Battery life: In the ABI Clip+ review 15 hours of battery life are mentioned. However, in these forums I also read about several people complaining about lower battery life. How widespread is that problem? Has that problem possibly been fixed in production? I would be playing mostly 128kbps MP3s.
  • Clip: I usually slide my e280 into my pocket - is this still possible with the Clip+ (without breaking the clip) in case I don't get used to "clipping" it somewhere?
  • Incidental button pressing: Only interesting if worn inside a pocket, but yeah, has anybody noticed to have pressed keys incidentally? I know there is a lock function, but de- and reactivating can be cumbersome when you only quickly want to skip a track.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 01mf02; 04-15-2010 at 05:07 AM. Reason: removing striking out

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 PM

No wheel, just buttons.

Can't say about shuffle/random, I never do that. And nowadays I only use Rockbox anyways, which behaves very differently.

The low battery life is mostly when using FLAC format and such, since the player isn't optimized for those files. Some people also got a dud, some batteries are just bad and such players should be sent back ASAP under warranty. 15 hours might be a bit optimistic, but you should get more than 10 hours out of it in any real life situation, playing MP3 files.

The clip on the Clip+ is not removable, which is a major annoyance, but you sure can put it in any pocket, still - it's still a really tiny player.

I never pressed any button by accident, and I never use key lock.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks for your very fast response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
No wheel, just buttons.
Hmm, that's a bummer. Doesn't that make navigation between ~3000 songs very hard, or is the button scrolling speed acceptable?

Quote:
Can't say about shuffle/random, I never do that. And nowadays I only use Rockbox anyways, which behaves very differently.
Yeah, I'd like to use Rockbox too, but it's probably still too experimental for me ...

Quote:
The low battery life is mostly when using FLAC format and such, since the player isn't optimized for those files. Some people also got a dud, some batteries are just bad and such players should be sent back ASAP under warranty. 15 hours might be a bit optimistic, but you should get more than 10 hours out of it in any real life situation, playing MP3 files.

The clip on the Clip+ is not removable, which is a major annoyance, but you sure can put it in any pocket, still - it's still a really tiny player.

Very valuable information, thanks a lot!

Schöne Grüße aus Innsbruck!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 PM

for shuffle: down x5, center

Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The clip on the Clip+ is pretty square and flat--the Clip+ easily can be put in a pocket without the clip snagging on anything.

The scroll is pretty fast, but I don't scroll through individual tracks--that's why there are folders and albums.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 PM

The testing conditions were 128k mp3 on default brightness. Turn down the brightness and you can hope for at least 13-14h. There are a few reports of better battery life with rockbox, but I'd wait and see.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:34 AM

I usually get 10-12 hours on my Clip+. I use the custom EQ, have the brightness below medium, and listen to my music (192K MP3s) around 60 to 70% volume.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 AM

Ok, thank you all very much, your information has helped me a lot so far!

For me, only one question remains: I usually start the day with one special song, then have random songs played to me automatically afterwards. To achieve this behaviour, is it required to browse all songs (so the random function knows it should consider all songs for playback) and painstakingly find my favourite track among ~3000 others, or can you simply browse to the album the song is located at and continue with random playback among all songs automatically?

If this would be possible, the Clip+ is bought!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 AM

I know what you mean - my iriver does it perfectly and it's a feature I use a lot. I've only had mine for a week but I don't think it can do this. I'm not even sure if Rockbox can - I'll try it out on the simulator.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 AM

• Incidental button pressing: Only interesting if worn inside a pocket, but yeah, has anybody noticed to have pressed keys incidentally? I know there is a lock function, but de- and reactivating can be cumbersome when you only quickly want to skip a track.
I usually clip mine to my shirt front and have picked up something or leaned over something else and accidentally paused or restarted a track. I used to wear a Creative Muvo clipped to my pocket or belt loop and it happened the same amount of times, so the Clip+ seems no more prone to accidental-button-pressing than any other player.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:21 AM

Default Testing results

Okay, I bought the Clip+, it arrived yesterday. It really is a very small, robust-feeling player with a very good interface and sound quality, as far as I can judge from one day of usage.
The screen is very crisp, and when you move the player around in the air, you notice it flickering a bit, which is an interesting experience after dealing exclusively with LCDs for quite some time.

To comment on my question number two: Apparently it isn't possible to continue playing random songs from all albums after having selected a specific song through the 'Artists' or 'Album' category automatically, however, it is possible to browse all songs alphabetically, select your song there and then have the player continue with any other songs randomly. Scrolling through the long list of all songs is a bit slow, but it's quite doable, I think it took me about 15 to 20 seconds to find a song starting with 'L' among ~3000 other songs.
Enabling random playback, btw, is really quite fast, so no problem there as well.
I'm currently benchmarking the battery with constant playback of 128kbps songs at about half volume (volume being set to 'High'), and I'll publish the results here.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 AM

I hadn't heard about the flickering screen until I bought mine either. Doesn't bother me but if someone had bought it for jogging it would be pretty hard to read.

Although Rockbox isn't ready for the Clip+ yet, I did find it has quite a good random albums features. You just go to database then click on albums, then random and it plays a random album. To find another one is 3 clicks I think. It's still not as good at the iriver for this though.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_sub View Post
Although Rockbox isn't ready for the Clip+ yet, I did find it has quite a good random albums features. You just go to database then click on albums, then random and it plays a random album. To find another one is 3 clicks I think. It's still not as good at the iriver for this though.
You mean Rockbox has those features? Hmmm, would be cool if they also had my desired random playback feature in store, then I would have a reason to install Rockbox, otherwise it wouldn't be really necessary ...

I've finished my battery benchmark; after the first charging, the Sansa scores an excellent 15 hours of constant playback at half volume with about half of the pieces being played coming from an 8GB microSD card. Now I'm really satisfied in all ways with that player.

The clip on the Clip+ has turned out to be really useful too, because now I don't have to finger around in my pockets to skip a track or to lower the volume, I just clip the player to the pockets and have instant access to all control elements.

To conclude: The Clip+ rocks!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
After having a couple of regular Clips and sharing your experience of nearly never hitting a button by accident, I've found that clipped to my front pocket, belt, or the bottom of my untucked shirt that I get accidental button presses enough to frustrate me into using the lock on the Clip+. And the lock is nearly worthless.

I know it's all trade offs to improve volume rocker placement, etc, but it sure is annoying to accidentally pause/ff into the next 1.5 hour track of an audiobook and have to scrub my way back to where I was....

Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannishBoy View Post
After having a couple of regular Clips and sharing your experience of nearly never hitting a button by accident, I've found that clipped to my front pocket, belt, or the bottom of my untucked shirt that I get accidental button presses enough to frustrate me into using the lock on the Clip+. And the lock is nearly worthless.

I know it's all trade offs to improve volume rocker placement, etc, but it sure is annoying to accidentally pause/ff into the next 1.5 hour track of an audiobook and have to scrub my way back to where I was....
Strange, in about one half a week of high-frequent usage I never had this problem, even in a crowded subway. What touched the buttons on your Clip+?

Tags
battery life, clip+, random playback, wheel