android
Old 04-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwheel View Post
Does this hack bring us any closer to MSC mode becoming a reality?
I highly doubt it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-18-2010, 04:29 PM

I really wish so. But until it's msc enabled, zunes are useless as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Man, just bust the FW and enable a custom EQ - then it's good to go. Remember, the newer Zune Flash/80/120 have the ability, but it was omitted to preserve battery life for the wifi. And the Zune HD has NO FRIGGIN' EXCUSE why it can't have a custom EQ, except that MS decided to dumb it down, 'cause the masses are too "stupid" to use it. Really,....give us a choice.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrauber View Post
I really wish so. But until it's msc enabled, zunes are useless as far as I'm concerned.
I'd settle for un-hampered MTP mode.

Even though MTP mode stinks -- compared to MSC mode -- it's still lightyears ahead of the existing "gelded-MTP" mode they have used to strap down the device.

Since it's already an MTP device, with the protocol being castrated by the nannyware wrapper, I hold out hope that the crap-layer can be peeled back, deactivated, or otherwise gotten out of the way.

Doing so would allow us to use our Zunes WITHOUT having to use that zune.exe garbage. True, we'd need to use a fairly recent edition of Windows, or some other OS that supports generic MTP connection (I think the Mac and some Linuxes can handle it), and we'd still be "protected" from exposure to the actual file system -- but, being able to use our Zunes by simply connecting the cable and copying files would be a million times better than what we have now with the mandatory gatekeeper program.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM

I would have to say it is highly possible to use this to turn the Zune HD into an MTP enabled device. I used Ubuntu linux regularly, and only use my brothers windows' machines to transfer music. I have already found a way to mount the zune in the /media destination, and I could see music, just not transfer to and from the device. With a closer look at the firmware, an MTP hack shouldn't be too hard.