android
Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 PM

Default disappointed with smart dj

i noticed that smart dj on the zune hd just plays random songs of the same genre of the selected artist/song. the only difference of this from shuffle is the 30 song limit :s can anybody confirm that it's the same way for ipod's genius playlist?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 PM

I believe its best used for online streaming so you can listen to new bands that you might like

Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 PM

I too am disappointed with Smart DJ on the Zune...it works for most of my artists, but some artists work fine with Smart DJ on the computer, but on the Zune they won't work. Fortunately I already had a good system of automatically refreshing Smart DJ playlists going.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 PM

It works pretty awesome for me...it's obviously pretty wild with a zune pass and because of that I've really found a lot of new groups that I never heard of but even with wifi off(no zune pass then) it works good but more like a genre mix like you say...
To me without a zune pass it makes little sense...

Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Maybe it is different with the Pass because I would be very surprised if that was the algorithm (30 random songs from the same genre). The times I have used it so far, I think it has done a pretty good job of making a similar mix.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:05 AM

I don't think that smart dj has an advanced functionality when it works offline...In that case, it should have a big database with every possible artist and pre-programmed relations between tags. What i believe that it does, is, finding similar tag fields and then put the tracks in a playlist. I had some wrong genre tags in some tracks, but it didn't exclude them, so it just reads genre information inside tags....nothing really advanced...

I think that its useful only if you have over 4000 tracks on the device. I can't see the benefit for 16gb and 32gb models. As for Zune pass + Smart DJ functionality, well, if i have to be online and pay a fee for renting mp3s, then i can do it with many other free ways, without having to rely on an algorithm.

Smart DJ is actually a quick way to make playlists before you sync them with the device, so you can "filter" your whole library by genre with it and then sync the resulting playlist (which is a lot smaller) to the player.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 AM

I have grouped all my albums on my Zune HD & on my computer into very vague genre's (Alternative, Dance, Electronic, Rock, Industrial, Metal, Rap). For example, I only have a genre for "metal" and I don't break it down further to power metal, death metal, black metal, thrash, nu-metal, etc. This way I can shuffle by genre and get totally random songs from different metal bands that are on my zune. But when I use SmartDJ with Iron Maiden, the only songs that get played are power metal bands. It might pull up Dio or Judas Priest, but it never pulls up stuff like In Flames, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, etc.

So for me, the SmartDJ seems to work like it should with my own offline collection.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM

You can't please all the people all the time. Smart DJ, to me, is designed to be used with Zune Pass. That's really where it works well. What's the point of using Smart DJ offline anyway? If you are like poisonousjuice you already have your collection organized by genre, so just shuffle whichever genre you want, plus you aren't limited to 30 songs that way.

I like Smart DJ

Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 AM

Not for me, for me it chooses songs from many different artists. I find it simular/just as good as the PC Zune software smart DJ.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMhz View Post
Not for me, for me it chooses songs from many different artists. I find it simular/just as good as the PC Zune software smart DJ.
Yea, I would assume the algorithm it uses to select songs would be the same in the software and the device itself. Maybe user's who find Smart DJ to not work as well on the device have some discrepency is the file tags between the software & the device. I know personally, I spent HOURS organizing my entire music library in the zune software so everything fell under 1 of 8 specific genre's and I assumed my Zune would be updated as well automatically (since it usually does with song titles, album art, etc) but the genre's on the player itself were way off. I had to reformat and resync everything after organizing my library. Now it works like a charm. Reformating not my favorite solution but it did work.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdo7474 View Post
You can't please all the people all the time. Smart DJ, to me, is designed to be used with Zune Pass. That's really where it works well. What's the point of using Smart DJ offline anyway? If you are like poisonousjuice you already have your collection organized by genre, so just shuffle whichever genre you want, plus you aren't limited to 30 songs that way.

I like Smart DJ
SmartDJ offline has the potential for interacting with your music collection in a unique way. If you have a small music collection then offline usage doesn't make any sense. But when you have 1,000's or 10,000's of tracks, then it DOES make sense. If the SmartDJ algorithm is nothing more than using genres, then it isn't so "smart".

Compare and contrast Microsoft's SmartDJ with Sony's SensMe. The difference is night and day. Using a "target" track and creating a SmartDJ mix results in a hodge-podge of results. Using the same track and generating a SensMe playlist results in tracks that are more compatible. When using SensMe Channels, things are even better.

I find that SmartDJ has potential... but it seems like its only reason for being is to pimp the Zune Pass.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM

For those that don't have the Pass and use SmartDJ, are you connected to a wifi spot when it is giving you playlists not to your liking?

I have the Pass so obviously it is picking from a lot more songs than someone who doesn' t have a Pass for my lists and I think it does a good job. But, if you are connected to wifi, I would think it would still be able to pick a better than a random genre songs list from what you have on the player...assuming you have songs that are pretty well related in the first place.

But, if you are not connected to wifi, I can see it not picking much of anything very well, though, because I figure it isn't storing whatever (probably very large) databases on the player to run whatever algorithym it runs to make it 'smart'.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:09 PM

It works really well for me...both without the pass and with it...like others are saying with the pass its just much better...infact its pretty awesome....

Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 PM

It won't work at all for me. I tells me it can't create mix and to sync more music. I have 2300 songs on the device, how much does it want? I also big on making sure my genres are tagged right cause I use that to find music some times when I am a certain mood. How does it pick music? It's obviously not using genre tags. It would be something I would use if it worked.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM

I think it is linked to the stupid metadata that MS uses to do things like artist pictures. Seems like it will only work for the artists that have pics. Since most of my music is not known by MS, smart DJ has no clue what to do.

Seems like if you don't listen to mainstream music, your S.O.L. No pics, no DJ, no way to fix it.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saragrl View Post
I think it is linked to the stupid metadata that MS uses to do things like artist pictures. Seems like it will only work for the artists that have pics. Since most of my music is not known by MS, smart DJ has no clue what to do.

Seems like if you don't listen to mainstream music, your S.O.L. No pics, no DJ, no way to fix it.

I had this problem before...here is the solution:

"
Originally Posted by Fiero
Smart DJ didn't work for me at first either. I unplugged the Zune and synced it again and didn't unplug it while it read "Sync Complete." I unplugged when it read "Connected." Smart DJ works fine for me now.

While the Zune HD reads "Sync Complete," it is still syncing background tasks."

Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonti View Post
i noticed that smart dj on the zune hd just plays random songs of the same genre of the selected artist/song. the only difference of this from shuffle is the 30 song limit :s can anybody confirm that it's the same way for ipod's genius playlist?
I'm not sure exactly how it picks songs but I do know it's not by genre.

I can set SDJ on a Prodigy song and in the mix will be Korn, Alice in Chains, P.O.D., Iron Maiden and some RAGE. Different genres and all in the mix.
1600+ songs on my Zune and I've had it going all day well past 30 plays.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:16 PM

I saw this video on Channel 9 a few years back and Smart DJ reminded me of it:

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Dan/T...ering-Project/

I don't know if this is the technology they are using but there's a chance it is. Essentially they use a learning algorithm and train it to detect different aspects of music.