android
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM

Default ZuneHD Line Out and Integration with Car Stereo

How well does the Zune HD integrate with car stereos? I am in the market for a new mp3 player and the Zune HD is a front runner. Use is the car is very important for me... I currently have a dash mounted Creative Zen that just plugs into my car's AUX input via the headphone jack, but I would love to be able to get control via the stock radio (and thus my steering while controls), or atleast just hook it up via the line out. I've been looking at Soundgate's HONZN4 for my Honda CRV, which allows you just plug your Zune HD into the line out/dock port and makes it act like an aux cd changer. However it, and any other line out cables I can find, require power as well. From reading around, it sounds like Microsoft locked down line level audio output from the dock port so that it requires a signal to unlock it, which is all these things require power. If this is true, thats a pretty consumer unfriendly decision, especially given the fact that iPods don't require any power and Apple loves to lock stuff down. Its not a big deal if I get the above product and hardwire it, but otherwise it means another cable to plug/unplug everytime I use the car, and more messy cables.

Last edited by DamageInc; 04-14-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 AM

just get the power from the ignition...this way you wont have to plug in and unplug every time.

also you may want to look into your steering wheel controls...i know my car (VW JETTA) has issues with the wheel controls and aftermarket head units...as in they usually dont work. but obviously a zune specific head unit would be best.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
also you may want to look into your steering wheel controls...i know my car (VW JETTA) has issues with the wheel controls and aftermarket head units...as in they usually dont work. but obviously a zune specific head unit would be best.
I'm thinking the product I listed above shouldn't be a problem because it appears in the system as the optional second cd changer. So as far as the car knows, its just controlling the stock radio still...the Zune specific adapter is what reads those commands and maps them to the Zune.

I now just have to decide if its worth the $125 (+$75 if I decide to have it professionally installed, which is looking to be the case given the locked down design of the CRV dash) to have the convenience of no cables and steering wheel control.