android
Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Alright, so I just got my R0 yesterday, and I must admit, it's quite an amazing little player. I'd almost say it's the best Samsung PMP to date.

Sound quality is great as always, but I actually noticed a drastic crimp in treble but much more bass compared to my P3, strange huh. I have the 3D, Bass, EQ, Clarity, Street Mode and all the sound sound settings exactly the same on my P3. The sound seems slightly muddier compared to the P3, but anywho, it still sounds way above average for any player I've ever used.

One thing that I thought was improved greatly, is when Clarity is maxed out, and Bass is at 2, the SH, CH and S sounds are always harsh and they sound slurpy, but it seems like this issue has been addressed with the R0, although treble not as strong, the Bass is truly mind blowing, and I only have Bass at 2, and 60Hz at +6, and S, CH and SH sounds no longer sound like slurping. It sounds like the bass from the player is being heard through a non-ported subwoofer or speaker enclosure, enabling a tighter bass sound, while in the P3, Q1, and the other DNSe 3.0 players I've used, the bass sounds deeper but not as tight, it can sometimes be all over the place. I guess it depends on the person. I personally prefer the P3's bass, since it goes deeper, but I'm not saying the R0's bass is bad though.

The build quality of this player is fantastic, the tactile buttons are great, I still miss the feeling of being able to "feel" your player, it makes you feel like you're in control, if you know what I mean.

The screen is something that really surprised me, the screen is absolutely AMAZING. I have never seen such a small screen be able to produce images in such clarity and colour. I'm surprised. I might even dare to say that its image quality surpasses that of the P3.

I was slightly disappointed that the screen wasn't glass though, because plastic screens always end up becoming scratched and ugly. Maybe I'll invest in a screen protector.

I haven't experienced ANY bugs AT ALL at this point. I even managed to transfer all 3.2GB of music onto it *IN ONE GO* without any problems with library updates. It's now running fw 1.17 without any problems at all.

I haven't been able to test out battery life yet, but I've been listening to it for almost 2 hours now, and I'm very satisfied with it.

The only things that were missing were games I need the Samsung games, especially when I'm bored in school haha.

Overall, I rate this player 9.5/10 for amazing sound quality, build quality, screen quality, and Micro SD card compatability.

Kudos Samsung

*EDIT* I HAVE NOTICED A BUG!!! ON SOME SONGS, THERE IS AN AUDIBLE DIGITAL "WAH WAH" SOUND. Basically, it's like someone added the "wah wah" synthensizer into the music, but at a very low hertz, low refresh rate. It comes in every 20 seconds or so.

Last edited by Kaoss; 04-08-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Samsung Moderator

I bricked my R0 in fw 1.17 while updating manually the library

Yes it makes me laugh... It's such unbelievable to release 3 buggy firmwares...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 PM

LOL, it'd really be an amazing little PMP if it didn't have all these bugs...

btw lebellium, I think the sound is still bugged. I don't know if the player just "sounds" different from other Samsung players, but there is a SERIOUS crimp in treble and the sound is flat, and I have had 3 players with DNSe 3.0 and ALL at the same settings. My P3 sounded the same as my Q1 with the same settings, but the R0 doesn't sound anywhere NEAR as good as my P3, even though it still sound above average.

Do you think it could be a bug lebellium?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Samsung Moderator

I haven't noticed this phenomenon. According to my tests with UE super.fi 5Pro the sound quality is the same as on all latest Samsung DAP.

I'll check it again when my R0 runs again (hope I can repair it tonight)

Last edited by lebellium; 04-09-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM

It only happens on low quality songs though, songs that sound "unclear" if you know what I mean. Like those low quality songs you download from random mp3 sites.

There is a digital "wah wah" sound, like the music fades out and becomes mushy for about one second then returns back to normal, and fades out again for a second after 10 seconds.

Along with the huge crimp in treble, I think this could be another DNSe issue?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Samsung Moderator

I repaired my bricked R0 yeahh

So I put it in 1.10 of course. 1.13, 1.14 and 1.17 are too dangerous.

Your "digital wah wah" is only on firmware 1.17 or also on 1.10? Because I don't really want to upgrade to 1.17 again just to check this possible bug :/

Old 04-12-2010, 06:54 PM

I haven't tried firmware 1.10, because I upgraded it the day I got it to 1.17

I'm still getting random crashes when a song finishes though, even if it's not in a folder I was just playing songs in "Songs" folder and it turned off by itself after a random song finished.

The "wah wah" sound is only on low quality songs though (with the grainy and unclear sound, not referring to kbps)

Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I'm one of the little minority that really listen what they hear. And it is supposed that a music player is made to listen to the music... Or not? Actually, I listen almost to classical music (including opera), and generally I pay attention to the music in my ears... So, I'm fighting for minority rights.
I've noticed this stereo bug after about 30 seconds of the first file I played from the sd card. It was not possible to miss it, drums and sax are switching from one ear to the other. I got the impression that this is happening more or less arbitrarly. Maybe the channels are swapped when the firmware does an audio buffer switch. Does anybody kow if this bug is already present in version 1.10?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Ok, I tried fw 1.10, but the channel swap on sd was already there. The bug seems to be present if there is no user interaction (display off). I'm thinking of sending back the player, because the sd feature was the main reason for buying it.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diewahrheit View Post
Ok, I tried fw 1.10, but the channel swap on sd was already there. The bug seems to be present if there is no user interaction (display off). I'm thinking of sending back the player, because the sd feature was the main reason for buying it.
If you are patient, you can wait for a next firmware. I report the bug so I hope they will fix it

But if you buy it for the microSD slot, you should have rather bought a Sansa Fuze, the microSD integration is better (internal memory and microSD merge in the tag library)

Nur eine Person sagt die Wahrheit: Ich

Old 04-16-2010, 07:04 AM

Hi everybody! I got my YP R0 a week ago and have tried several firmwares (1.03, 1.10 and 1.17 so far). Like everybody else in this forum, I've found out all of them have some kind of bug (I haven't tried firmware 1.14 because of the reported damage it may cause to our player). I thought 1.17 was the best firmware, but I have realized it makes the player turn off by itself after the last song of an album finishes. I'm currently using 1.10. Anyway, Does anybody know how to continously play all the songs included in the player? I mean, after the last song of an album ends, the player stops playing, and doesn't start playing the following album in the list, so, is it possible to avoid this stop and make it play continuously? In your opinion, which is the best firmware so far? Thanks in advance for your attention and help! Greetings from Spain!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Samsung Moderator

The best firmware so far (so I mean the one that has the less important issues) is obvisously the 1.10.
The 1.17 fix somes bugs (AAC playback, Radio preset) but the library update may brick the R0 so...

All Samsung DAP since 2007 stop playback at the end of a folder or album.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Thanks for your answer, lebellium. Hopefully they will fix all these bugs for the next firmware!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
If you are patient, you can wait for a next firmware. I report the bug so I hope they will fix it

But if you buy it for the microSD slot, you should have rather bought a Sansa Fuze, the microSD integration is better (internal memory and microSD merge in the tag library)

Nur eine Person sagt die Wahrheit: Ich
So I may call you Jesus...

I made some more tests to investigate the channel swap effect. I used special audio files where the right channel was muted and music was only on the left channel. The effect happened
1. when playing from from sd card only not from internal memory
2. seamless in the midst of a song (though I sometimes got the impression of hearing a soft click)
3. only if display was off
4. with no difference between flac and mp3 (maybe a little more frequent with mp3)
5. with no clear periodicity (sometimes 30s after display fades, sometimes only after 3 or 4 minutes)

As an engineer, I can say this looks very strange. I cannot imagine what impact the kind of source memory or the display status should have on the selection of output channels. Maybe sd playback is handled by a completely different part of the firmware and was written by a comletely different team of developers.

Does anybody know what the firmware release cycle times were in the past? One in a month or less? Sending back the player in two weeks time is the best way to get the money back ...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Samsung Moderator

Ja ja ich bin Jesus, sogar Samsung Jesus (du schreibst sehr gut auf english!)

I know there are different developers teams regarding the DAP. But I guess there is only one team per product.

Well, there are not really firmwares cycle times:
Firmware 1.10 released on 2009-11-24
1.13/1.14: 2010-03-03
1.17: 2010-03-24

They released the firmware 1.17 too early whereas I had not finished to report every bug... So I prefer they take their time rather than releasing a buggy firmware again.
I haven't got a reply from Koreans for 2 weeks now so I don't know if they are currently working on a new firmware, if they have a break or if they are fed up with bugs reports every day lol

Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 AM

report all these bugs, please; they're very annoying, especially the crashes at the end of an album!

edit: my R0 don't show the correct time, I've to set it everytime.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikes2 View Post
report all these bugs, please; they're very annoying, especially the crashes at the end of an album!

edit: my R0 don't show the correct time, I've to set it everytime.
As far as I Know, the crash problems don't occur on 1.10 firmware, but they certainly happen on 1.17 firmware.
With regards to the time setting bug, I'm not sure, but I think it only happens everytime you install a new firmware, Am I wrong? So I don't know if it can be really considered as a bug.
Another strange thing I've noticed is that sometimes it takes the player ages to start and, once it has started, it goes to the menu display, while other times it starts really faster and plays right the same moment of the song it was playing before you turned it off the last time. I guees this may affect one of the main disappointments: its battery life

Tags
1.17, firmware, r0, samsung, themes, uci, yp-r0