android
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Firmware Release Notes and How-To's?

I've seen several threads with new features included in this last update and all are different +\- features.

Could we get an official release notes going with some how-to's on some of the added features? This would remove guess work for the people that have updated and not found all these threads.

If I could get a copy I can edit this post and include them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Bump for a response.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 PM

OS
- Smart DJ
- Native AVI and XVID support
- Picks on-device
- Overall performance increases. Faster thumbnail loading and smoother animations.
- In artist view, you can now play all albums or songs, or add them to now playing.
- Playlists now have a transparent background in Quickplay.

Marketplace
-If subscribed to ZunePass and you have an active Wifi connection, Smart DJ will stream songs related to the Smart DJ list.
- Marketplace on TV-Out
- In the marketplace, you can see more than 3 of an artistís top songs.

Browser
- It now warns you that deleting your browser history takes forever.
- You can now sort your favorites by date added or alphabetically.
- You can re-name favorites in the browser.
- You can save images or pictures of entire web pages to the device via the browser.
- Faster, better browser. Large web pages that would previously have crashed the browser now load, you can zoom in further on images without blurring, and tap-to-zoom works better.

Hopes this helps.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 AM

Dave mentioned he was trying to get a log of the release notes but said it was proving harder than he thought. I suspect we won't see it but I updated the 4.5 Roundup thread to include a lengthy list in the first post.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM

i found another bug they fixed...seems like EVERY time i unplug my headphones while I have music playing, it pauses...now i dont know about anyone else, but in 4.3 it was about 50/50 weather it would do it or not....hasn't missed it yet i love 4.5

Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 AM

^ that's not a bug. Every Zune model pauses when the headphones are pulled out. Although I'm not sure why it would only do it 50% of the time and now change.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
^ that's not a bug. Every Zune model pauses when the headphones are pulled out. Although I'm not sure why it would only do it 50% of the time and now change.
my 120GB did it every time...but since i have had my HD, it has been hit or miss....but now it does it every time...i know it was supposed to be there, but it didn't do it sometimes so it was a bug IMO.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:41 PM

It may not be obvious how to create a Smart DJ mix if you've never used it before.

When in doubt, tap and hold on an album, artist, or song, and it should pop-up a context menu with the option "Play Smart DJ mix".

Under "Artist" each artist should have an obvious Smart DJ icon under either "albums" or "songs".

You can create a Smart DJ mix when viewing the "Songs" tab, but only if you do a tap-hold on a song BEFORE you go into the sub-menu where you have the option of playing or queuing the song.

You can't create a Smart DJ mix from a genre, but you can do a tap-hold on the albums or songs within a particular genre. If you go to an individual song's sub-menu, you won't be able to do a tap-hold on it.

Under "Albums" you can tap-hold damn near everything, including the album titles, the album track list, the album art, and even the individual songs listed under each album. Although again, as in the "Songs" or "Genre" tab, if you go to an individual song's sub-menu, you won't be able to do a tap-hold on it.

If you're having trouble creating a Smart DJ mix, and it tells you there isn't enough music available, try making sure your metadata is complete, and doing a full wipe/re-sync of the device.

And after that, sometimes Smart DJ just doesn't like your music. I'm not a huge purchaser of hip-hop, but I do have a bit, and my meager holdings aren't enough to create a mix.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 PM

In podcasts you can touch and hold, and mark as played

Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis135n View Post
In podcasts you can touch and hold, and mark as played
That was added in 4.3.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 PM

I noticed that the artist pictures seem to cycle now. I no longer see the same picture of Trent Reznor while listening to Nine Inch Nails. The picture in the now playing screen change each time you enter, and exit it.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Just wondering but.. Where are the APPS!? i thought new ones are coming out following the update.. its been quite some time.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM

The apps are... a twinkle in the eye of a developer. hopefully we'll get a fresh batch soon. Until then, it's really anyone's guess.