android
Old 04-11-2010, 10:30 PM

Default Swimming w/ Clip+ ?!?

Greetings,

I've just put in my order for a 2gb Clip+.
I want to use it to listen to tunes while swimming laps. I've seen a couple different devices for making the little buggers waterproof. Worse case scenario, I pick one at random that leaks and I'm out $26 and the time spent setting up the Clip+

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the waterproofing contraptions and can offer some recommendations or words of warning.

Thanks,
Funk

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I purchased a watertite pouch from Buy.com that works wells in a water environment. However, it's unclear to me if this would serve well for swimming, as you would have to affix the pouch to your body (it has a cord that could be used around your neck, but that still leaves it somewhat free). I'd be interested in hearing what solutions you've found.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Doesn't swimming demigod Michael Phelps use some kind of player while doing practice laps? May be helpful to scan for info on how he does this sort of thing...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM

I have a waterproof money/everything belt (Aquapac) and I think they do various pouches that affix to different parts of the body ... iirc, there's one that goes round your wrist or upper arm for mp3 players?

If not, there are other options out there. I'm less sure if a non-waterproof player like the Clip can be waterproofed satisfactorily?

A neck string sounds very dangerous! But the lure of swimming while listening is one I totally understand...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This is supposedly an option, although I've never seen one myself.
http://www.finisinc.com/Company/Tech...echnology.aspx

Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 AM

This is the one I've seen that looks the best.
http://www.topreviewshop.com/h2o_audio_amphibx_armband

Comes in a smaller size than the one in this review. The small one looks about right, sized for a Clip/Nano etc. Runs about $50, plus the cost of some waterproof earphones. Seems somewhat silly to spend $26 on the player then $50 for the container to put it in!

The other version I've seen is called an Aquapac, this guy does a decent review of the technology, if not of the actual mp3 player version:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2001/05/21/...oducts_review/

Again, around $50. I've seen other 'baggie' type cheaper version but they look more like they're made for wet weather or boating, not really for getting down in the drink.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Funk

Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
This is supposedly an option, although I've never seen one myself.
http://www.finisinc.com/Company/Tech...echnology.aspx
yep, seen that and there's one by Speedo. Spendy ($150) only 1gb onboard and not expandable w/ the microSD!

Honestly, it looks like it's going to end up being about the same, I think whichever route I go.
$26 for the Clip+ and $50 for a container, and $50-ish for waterproof headphones, or $125-$150 for a pre-waterproofed player w/ headphones.

At least with the Clip, I have a good player that I'll use besides when I swim. Is anyone really going to be sporting this badboy anywhere but the pool?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Anyone know the dimensions of a Nano off the top of their head?
Would be funny if this would work. Probably have to file off the clip...
http://www.h2oaudio.com/store/waterp...o-3rd-gen.html

Tags
clip+, swimming, waterproof