android
Old 07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Help Likes and dislikes of my new D2

Well I've had my new toy for about a week now and so far this is what I've discovered. I love the sound and am very pleased with the clarity it seems to be revealing to me of my music that I didn't seem to hear from my Samsung Z5...not sure if this a placebo effect from my D2 being new and all but it seems to be there. I'm satisfied with video playback but still learning how to get good encodes with the software that's available.

Now for a couple gripes...and one that a few others have also harped on. SHUFFLE!!! I'm using 2.57 btw. So I have the D2 to shuffle all and more than 5 times I've pressed the next song button and the song that was just playing is what is shuffled to...but as many other's have pointed out, the shuffle just plays over and over alot of the recent songs I've listened to. And to sum this up, this makes using this player VERY annoying for the shuffle feature.

I liked the way the Z5 shuffled in that it would physically change the order of the song list and then play from the first song but this D2 shuffle is driving me nuts. Maybe I do not have a certain setting properly adjusted, I don't know.

Secondly and this I also do not know if it is a setting I can change...but the player shuts off way to quickly and when I have the D2 in hold mode to utilize the back, hold, next song features for the buttons, the player shuts down if I put it on hold for a short amount of time and then I have to flick the hold button back on and then wait for the D2 to load and then press audio twice..etc etc.

Personally I'd rather it didn't turn off at all.

Navigating is also somewhat of a learning curve and I'm hoping I will get used to this as well. When you have 16gig of music, navigating to a song can be tedious if you're not using the stylus which I haven't attached yet since it doesn't go well with my Z-Cover.

I'm hoping that the Shuffle will be fixed as it's very lacking imo, and that some kind d2 user can show me how to get the player to not shut down as it currently does.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM

The shut down feature can be adjusted under settings. Its set to 1 min by default and I switched mine to five. Just go to settings/timer/auto off and adjust it. The shuffle feature is very annoying and Ive searched extensively for a way to change it but I think its just the way it is. On my zen v plus I would set it to shuffle and never hear the same song twice as long as I didnt turn it off, with the D2 I often hear the same song(s) 3 times within an hour. Not a super big deal when you can just skip to the next track, but I often have it hooked up to speakers at my job and its very annoying to hear the same songs come up. It needs to be fixed. Thats pretty much my biggest issue besides the lack of gapless play. Hopefully when rockbox is up and running it can alleviate both of these issues. Other than that I truly love the D2.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM

I navigate faster without the stylus. I have 24gb and I can get to any song I want in less than 15 seconds counting boot time. Notice that you can tap a location on the scrollbar on the left hand side of the music screen to warp to any spot in the list you need.

I have never had problems with the shuffle, though I don't use it much anymore. Another option, though not truly random, would be to go to the Library >> Tracks, which is alphabetically organized. Fooled me several times while it was in my pocket since it defaults to the Tracks list on resume.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 07-02-2008, 06:28 PM

I hate the fact that my D2 always goes back to "Till I Collapse" by Eminem when I connect it to the PC and disconnect. I have no idea why that is.

Shuffle is an "eh" feature for me. I don't really care. I'm using 3.57 and haven't had problems with songs repeating. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

And thanks for not mentioning non-user-replaceable battery. I hate people that say that. As if it's become some standard. If it were really that important companies would take notice and go "hey if we make a user replaceable battery more people will buy our product!" They don't because it's a silly feature!
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Agreed, though I am quite sure you can take the D2 apart and put a new battery in it, they don't really sell them. You could cannibalize an new 4gb/2gb one, but by that time who knows what'll be out there?

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM

I don't think shuffle feature allows to play a song twice, before all songs in the shuffled playlist have played once. But I'm not sure about that.

What I know for sure, and that fooled me, is that if you turn off your D2 when your're listening a shuffled playlist, when you boot it again, it restarts from where it was stopped (I mean, the song and the time) but of another shuffling. Same list, same songs, but shuffled in a different way. That's very bad in my opinion. They should fix this.

psionic

Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, the shuffle feature is a bit of a pain!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Redneck Moderator

Yeah, the shuffle is awful on the D2, thats one of the reason i wouldn't like to use it for work, cause at work I always use shuffle, and having one that plays the same songs alot is really annoying.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:12 AM

I correct myself: songs can be repeated before all in paylist was played.
Totally crap.

I tested it shuffling songs in a single album, they are actually "extractions with repetition". We are reverted back of 10 years on software shuffling models -.-. I just remember first versions of WMP or Winamp...

psionic

Last edited by psionic; 07-05-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 AM

Cool

I wonder how aware of this problem Cowon is and if they deem it on their priority list in future fw's?

Old 07-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post
I wonder how aware of this problem Cowon is and if they deem it on their priority list in future fw's?
Seems to be that there are TONS of complaints about the stinky shuffle feature. Despite it's mediocre performance w/shuffle, I hope it still makes up for it in all the other areas for you as it's still 1 of, if not the best, sounding player's on the market.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Seems like a stand up player I can't believe they used 1990 kenwood cd player shuffle technology though. Can't that be firmwared away or would it make any difference with 6,000 plus songs to draw from.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:07 PM

Hey guys, sorry for bumping up this topic and I hope I don't break any rules by doing this but is there a perfect MP3 player out there that DOES have a decent shuffle option? I have the D2 for some time now.... and I must say, really impressed me with the sound quality. But the shuffle feature really baffles me that it hasn't been fixed yet. Does the S9 have this same issue?

Thanks, and again sorry if I break any forum laws..

Old 04-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

AFAIK the S9 doesn't have the same shuffle issue. I have the i9 and it shuffles 2151 songs no problem for me.