android
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Default Getting playlists to work on a NWZ-B142 (& general mess)

that's my first post so hi to all of you.

back on "business", I have a B142 player, to use it I set it up as a mass storage device and was happy with it.
one day I decided to start using playlists, since my car stereo can't read the files from inside the folders, as I used to organize them until then.
I made my playlists with Winamp and found out the player can't read them, it seems I have to use WMP11. I never used any media management software before, then I installed it and passed a whole day cursing it.

I dont' want to use WMP11 anymore to make playlists for my B142, do I have any other possible option?

Last edited by maja_ldm; 04-04-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: solved the general mess :)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja_ldm View Post
that's my first post so hi to all of you.

back on "business", I have a B142 player, to use it I set it up as a mass storage device and was happy with it.
one day I decided to start using playlists, since my car stereo can't read the files from inside the folders, as I used to organize them until then.
I made my playlists with Winamp and found out the player can't read them, it seems I have to use WMP11. I never used any media management software before, then I installed it and passed a whole day cursing it.

I dont' want to use WMP11 anymore to make playlists for my B142, do I have any other possible option?
Hi and welcome to ABi!

Sorry you are having issues. I do not have the B142 player so am unfamiliar with it. However, I do have a newer Sony E Series device. For me, it reads playlists created via Winamp perfectly.

There are lots of other options out there for you to try which may help you out. WMP, as you have discovered is not so great.

Look here for a recent ABi review of music management software:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...re-roundup.php

I personally use MediaMonkey, which I find to be excellent, small and deep.

Most of the apps are free or have fully functioning free versions for you.

Give them a shot - hopefully they will work with your device. And also, all will IMO manage your music collection on your PC far better than WMP can.

cheers and good luck...post back if you have questions/success...
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 PM

thank you Lestatar, I read the page on the link, but it sems I can't get it right...

I installed MediaJukebox (cause its free form seemed more "complete" from the review) I made a playlist with the files on my player then tried to tranfer it to the player by:
1. "sending" it from the scroll menu of the playlist
2. by checking the playlist box inside the options of the player
3. exporting the playlist with any possible extension then copypasting it
the result is always that in the player menus selecting Playlists yields a "NO ITEM" result.

my player is not a MSD by default, I forced it like that from its properties menus to be more comfortable with dragging files.

maybe I should use it as MTP? the problem is... I can't: I forced the MSD drivers on my player and now I can't find the original drivers or some general MTP drivers. maybe I should bring the problem to a more general board.....

Last edited by maja_ldm; 04-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hi maja_ldm: Apologies, I should have been a bit more specific re: my own experiences with my Sony E Series.

I do use MediaMonkey but for some reason, it does not "see" my Sony perfectly. Others here have had success with MediaMonkey working correctly with their Sony players as I recall. I meant to say that I use MediaMonkey as my main software mp3 player/library manager.

In fact, I use Winamp [also free version] to manage my Sony device. Winamp works perfectly for me, operating under MTP mode. I can easily create playlists, manage the device, sync, delete, etc....Winamp also monitors my music library and I occasionally use it for playing music, but I simply prefer the look and feel of MediaMonkey right now [and I have been a Winamp fan from the start].

So, suggest you download and install Winamp and see if it will correctly manage your Sony device as well. Be sure to opt out of all extra Winamp stuff you get prompted for during the install [unless you want them].

Post back and let us know how you make out...

EDIT:

Just re-read your post, re: you having forced MSD mode...not sure how to help on this...However, look into the WMP MTP porting kit...I believe that some folks have resolved their MTP issues after installing this...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Hopefully, the combination of the WMP MTP kit and Winamp will work for you...

Also suggest you wait for much more expert Sony folks here to chime in to confirm/correct my suggestions to you.

cheers,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 04-06-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 AM

well I tried to figure out how to use the MTP porting kit but failed miserably at it, I really don't understand what I'm supposed to do after it extracts itself.

btw, I installed the last Winamp build and had no luck with it. I'll wait a few days then make a thread in a general board on recovering the "MTP status" for a player.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

bumping...

There is much to do with the MTP Porting Kit from what I recall. Just install it Did you reboot your PC - sometimes this is required...

Hoping some real experts will chime in...
A Glossary for Newbies