android
Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Default Managing Mac issues

Although I've been happy with the sound of the D2+ I have found it miserable when used with Macs in MSC mode. It seems that between Spotlight indexing and the file system events daemon, issues like disappearing music files, arguments about whether the drive may be ejected, and slow, slow D2 system scans can result.

Here is how to manage some of them. I'll assume that when you plug your D2 into your Mac, the desktop drives you see are called D2 and D2 EXT.

Warning: if you are not comfortable with Unix-y commands this procedure may not be for you. I've tested this on exactly one D2+ and it works, but your mileage may vary. Please read through the procedure and understand it before you do it. You may lose data or get warts if you do it wrong.

Italicized lines are verbatim; type them exactly as specified but make sure you substitute your named drives for "D2" and "D2 EXT"; for example if, when you plug your D2 into your Mac its drive icon is called "FIDO", then substitute FIDO for D2.

Go to System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy and add the two drives to the "Privacy" list.

Open a terminal and change directory to /Volumes/D2.

cd /Volumes/D2

Type

ls -lart

which should give you a list of all the files on the drive. You'll see some Mac droppings - weird files that start with a period.

Delete the entire Spotlight directory and everything in it:

rm -rf .Spo*

Create a file that tells Spotlight never to index this drive:

touch .metadata_never_index

Enter the .fseventsd directory:

cd .fseventsd

Delete everything in there except the . and .. directories

rm .

Create a file that tells the file system events daemon not to log here

touch no_log

Get out of the "Volumes/D2/.fsevents" directory:

cd ../..

Repeat these instructions for the D2 EXT directory. When you change to this directory the space will require you to do it like this:

cd "D2 EXT"

As far as I can tell the .Trashes and ._.Trashes files do no harm.

I hope this helps you, it works for me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 AM

Help

Hi Jet Silver

I tried to do what you put down but im not having any luck after the "ls -lart" part. It just says command not found.
I dont use Unix - Y but could you just write what i have to type into Terminal and i will give it another go.

Thanks
Nam

Old 10-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Perfect, this really solved a lot of problems.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:52 AM

Thank you for a very clear set of instructions. The result worked like a charm!!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:05 AM

Default Managing Mac issues: Command script

Since jet_silver's instructions solved also my Cowon D2 & Mac problem, I've created a small command script. Unpack with e.g. The Unarchiver providing password `cowond2' (password is only set to prevent parsing the script by search engines) & put the script into each root directory of the D2' volumes (D2 and D2 EXT). To apply jet_silver's settings just double click the command script `CleanD2.command', additionally the directory tree will be cleaned from all files starting with a dot. The script does a sanity check if it is placed on a FAT formatted drive, to prevent accidental deleting on system volumes, and ejects the D2/D2 EXT volume after it's finished.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CleanD2.command-password-is-cowond2.zip (810 Bytes, 26 views)

Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Unhappy

well, this half-bricked my d2+. ran jet_silver's scripts according to his instructions. result: the internal memory of the d2 doesn't appear any longer in the browser of my d2+. all i see when browsing the folders of my d2+ is the extension card. there is no more "d2"-directory when browsing the folders on the player.

tried to work around by manually deleting .metadata_never_index and .no_log from both card and internal memory - no result.

connecting my d2+ with my mac shows me, that all files are where they should be as seen in the attached picture. resetted the player several times, no result.

EDIT:

finally, clearing the memory and resetting the player to default settings solved the problem. anyway, the script didn't work as intended and my knowledge of unix is far too little to tell, why this could have happened.

Last edited by helmhelm; 04-09-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Update: the Spotlight and fseventd droppings can be removed on the fly; this has been solved via drag and drop.

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/decaf...rWindowsE.html