android
Old 01-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Music library doesn't update

I got my P3 sometime around december and everything worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when the music library stoped updating when i added new music. It still says it's updating the library every time I disconnect it from my computer, but new music isn't added to the listing. I can however acces it from the file browser in the player.
So I've tried formating the player with the only result that now Artists, Albums etc. are empty except for "Unknown". Videos are listed though.
Then I tried reinstalling firmware 2.18 which didn't do anything.

I'm primarily using Ubuntu 9.10, but dualbooting Vista and in Emodio "Refresh library" is greyed out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM

How many songs in your library? External playlists are capped at 400 while the internal playlists are capped at 200.

Maybe you are beyond the caps?

Would hate to think something in the hardware died......

Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 AM

I've got around 850 on the player I think... But I haven't used playlists, or do you mean the internal way of the player to organizing music?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 AM

OK, I tried to delete some songs to see if it'd make any difference. It worked at first, but then there were errors. Most of the music can't be deleted from within the player either...

Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 AM

You'll have to format the player and then reinstall the firmware.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM

I tried formating and then immediately installing firmware 2.18. Clicking on any subcathegory to music resulted in a "No file" message. Then I added som music with the same result as before. The only artist is "Unknown" until I play a song (trey're all listed under Unknown) when the name changes to the song name (with some modifications, often with the track number in front, or with the folders name).
I then tried formating and then downgrading to firmware 2.14 which didn't make any difference either...

Old 01-06-2010, 03:28 PM

first thing: don't use emodio. just use copy/paste
second thing: what format are the songs in?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 PM

I don't use Emodio, just normal file transfers through Ubuntu. The songs are in mp3 and ogg format.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:46 PM

Another aspect to look at prior to sending it in for repairs is the ID3 tags on your songs. Make sure the tags are not ID3 tags for the ogg (not supported by the P3) and be sure there isn't weird obscur ID3 tags on the mp3's. Itunes and other apps add all kinds of lesser used and unknown ID3 tags to the files.

Many errors occur on devices because of the lesser known/used tag fields.

800+ songs should not be an issue with the internal filters of the P3. I have 1400 in one folder alone and it sorts them all without hiccups. I did however remove all but the standard fields in the ID3 tags and not had issues with the P3 or my cell phone since.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 AM

Tags could indeed be the problem. I just noticed all the songs actually do show up only as their filenames.
Do you know of any good program/script to clean up tags?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 AM

free -> mp3tag - many people swear by this one.

purchase -> Tag & Rename - Another one I've seen good reviews about and I have enjoyed using.

purchase -> dBpoweramp reference - Incorporates a very good audio tag editor into windows shell. Lets you remove and add tags from thousands of files at the same time.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Yea, Mp3Tag is pretty good. Probably one of the best tagging programs out there.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 AM

1. Download and install the 2.20 firmware here.
2. Go to Settings
3. There will be the option Library Update
4. Click on it and it will update a few seconds

And problem solved! Then if u wish, u can reinstal firm 2.18.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Another aspect to look at prior to sending it in for repairs is the ID3 tags on your songs. Make sure the tags are not ID3 tags for the ogg (not supported by the P3) and be sure there isn't weird obscur ID3 tags on the mp3's. Itunes and other apps add all kinds of lesser used and unknown ID3 tags to the files.

ID3 Tags for ogg ARE supported....
and iTunes doesnīt make stupid entries in the ID3 tags..it has a database in the "Eigene Musik" folder on your PC...
And donīt use mp3 tag...
try to use windows media player 12 and sync it with the internet if the songs are "legal"...hihi
Or use WinAmp with internet access and several plugins for tagging and try to convert them in ONE format...itīs safer for the player and you have lesser crashes...
I use wma made with wmp 12 (Lossless:1900-2500kbps VBR;96000 HZ sampler rate; 32bit;6 channel)
They are very big, but if you use a lesser bitrate, they are round about 10-15 mb per song big and wma tags are very great supported...

Then.... if you use wmp use MTP and sync ist (it goes faster then copy and paste, however...and the tags were read better)
If you use UMS put them in several folders and not all 800 files in one...

Try out what is better for you....

Last edited by Carsten; 03-27-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: The quote thing did not worked...

Old 03-28-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten View Post
ID3 Tags for ogg ARE supported....
and iTunes doesnīt make stupid entries in the ID3 tags..it has a database in the "Eigene Musik" folder on your PC...
And donīt use mp3 tag...
try to use windows media player 12 and sync it with the internet if the songs are "legal"...hihi
Or use WinAmp with internet access and several plugins for tagging and try to convert them in ONE format...itīs safer for the player and you have lesser crashes...
I use wma made with wmp 12 (Lossless:1900-2500kbps VBR;96000 HZ sampler rate; 32bit;6 channel)
They are very big, but if you use a lesser bitrate, they are round about 10-15 mb per song big and wma tags are very great supported...

Then.... if you use wmp use MTP and sync ist (it goes faster then copy and paste, however...and the tags were read better)
If you use UMS put them in several folders and not all 800 files in one...

Try out what is better for you....
isn't that a lot? 15 mb for one song?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
isn't that a lot? 15 mb for one song?
In my oppinion it is very less because my songs are between 50mb and 80mb in the format i wrote before....
and if you use flac they are round about 40mb.... if you have a 16gb player you can put 400 songs on it. and with a 32gb player he can put round about all of his 800 songs on it....
but i donīt know what you are hearing but i hear differences between wma lossless and mp3 @320 kbps....with standard earphones...(from the same CD with the same player)

Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten View Post
In my oppinion it is very less because my songs are between 50mb and 80mb in the format i wrote before....
and if you use flac they are round about 40mb.... if you have a 16gb player you can put 400 songs on it. and with a 32gb player he can put round about all of his 800 songs on it....
but i donīt know what you are hearing but i hear differences between wma lossless and mp3 @320 kbps....with standard earphones...(from the same CD with the same player)
my songs are mp3 @256kbps and quality is excellent. My 8GB P3 is 5GB full of music, one song is about 5 r 6 mb so.. i think it's alot, 15mb for one song. When you download from itunes (aac @256kbps) it's about 8mb for one song. and yes i hear difference e.g. between mp3 and ogg. Ogg is for me just awful so..

Tags
library, music, update