android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'm surprised that it doesn't cost more than that, to be honest...but I bet they are selling a lot of them.
They might sell more if only they raised the price.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM
ABI Invaluable

Haha sadly that is probably true
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 AM

Opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions. Everyone has one you know
Broken/Lost: Sansa Clip, RE0 ;_;, JVC FX500 ;_;

Old 03-26-2010, 03:18 AM
Banned

As an Audiophile, (here are my credentials; http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...&postcount=307)
I only wish to mention that I believe audio enhancements should be used to compensate for poor quality recordings, and not for headphones. If you look at most Hi-Fi systems (incl. mine) , you won't see an equalizer, you pick and choose components based on your personal audio tastes, and then you have a system that is truly yours.
As for headphones, I use Sony MDR-CD2000's for most anything, they sound excellent on most anything I plug them into (especially Ipods), without needing to be equalized. I do LOVE a customizable EQ, and anything without one is pure evil, (Ipods, Zunes, difference is Ipods do enough other stuff to warrant owning one) I LOVE my Sony X1061 and all its wonderful audio enhancements, but as I said, I use them for when I run into a bad recording or the like.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

BattleBrat: I don't really know much about audiophile stuff, but even an ignorant layperson like me can see that is some pretty sweet gear...

nice...
cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice, but 99% of us on ABI>>> find when someone claims audiophile status - the romance is over.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Nice, but 99% of us on ABI>>> find when someone claims audiophile status - the romance is over.
True! It's weird though.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
ABI Invaluable

Personally I am no audiophile as I don’t believe in most of the crap they believe in, I look at it this way: I love music, enjoy both home and portable systems, so I’d say I’m an enthused listener who enjoys the hobby. When it comes to EQ and sound enhancements, I love them as long as they are function and sound good to my ears but wouldn’t entertain the thought of buying a system without them unless it ran rockbox.

@ BattleBrat, without offense as we are all entitled to our opinions; I find contradictions within your post. For example you state “I believe audio enhancements should be used to compensate for poor quality recordings…” then you state “but not for headphones” and “If you look at most Hi-Fi systems (incl. mine), you won't see an equalizer ...” Well you either believe in EQ & enhancements or not, since I believe in them personally I wouldn’t buy a home system or portable without them, again no offense, just my interpretation.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

True, not all EQ-phobes are snobs.

The audiophile who doesn't use EQ because he has near-perfect hearing, listens only to near-perfectly recorded music reproduced on a near-perfect system in an acoustically near-perfect room is clearly not a snob.

Or take this instance. The guy has tried an EQ, and it generated a noticeable hiss. He hears this hiss only when he flattens his ear against the speaker grille; otherwise, in his normal listening position, the hiss is entirely inaudible. However, the fact that he knows that it's there spoils all his pleasure in his music, so he cannot use an EQ. Clearly, whatever psychopathology is involved in this case, it's not snobbery.

But the guy who doesn't use an EQ because it doesn't go with his hand-crafted $700 audiophile-grade gold-plated power cords (guaranteed to give "full-powered tight bass response, an expanded 3-dimensional sound stage, and cleaner less sibilant highs") is a snob.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
ABI Invaluable

@Malix, Well I don’t believe in perfect anything, least the ear or hearing of any audiophile, as even the so called professed audiophiles couldn’t all hear the same and this is proven by their constant bickering

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 03-26-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Personally I am no audiophile as I don’t believe in most of the crap they believe in, I look at it this way: I love music, enjoy both home and portable systems, so I’d say I’m an enthused listener who enjoys the hobby. When it comes to EQ and sound enhancements, I love them as long as they are function and sound good to my ears but wouldn’t entertain the thought of buying a system without them unless it ran rockbox.

@ BattleBrat, without offense as we are all entitled to our opinions; I find contradictions within your post. For example you state “I believe audio enhancements should be used to compensate for poor quality recordings…” then you state “but not for headphones” and “If you look at most Hi-Fi systems (incl. mine), you won't see an equalizer ...” Well you either believe in EQ & enhancements or not, since I believe in them personally I wouldn’t buy a home system or portable without them, again no offense, just my interpretation.
You saved me from having to make a similar post, thanks WG haha.

One other thing that kind of irks me about the whole "audiophile" thing is having thousands of dollars of gear going into what most "audiophiles" would consider very mediocre headphones. That to me is just a boat load of irony.

There is a difference between using not using an EQ because you don't need to, and then there is not using it because of people say "audiophiles" don't use EQs", the latter is just ignorance imo.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Was in a shop recently and the guy tried to sell me some Bose Triports, or whatever the hell they're called.

I told them that I was using ie8s and that Bose was expensive crap that you can't find the specs for.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Was in a shop recently and the guy tried to sell me some Bose Triports, or whatever the hell they're called.

I told them that I was using ie8s and that Bose was expensive crap that you can't find the specs for.
That's nice, but what does this post have to do with the thread?
Broken/Lost: Sansa Clip, RE0 ;_;, JVC FX500 ;_;

Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

It's pretty much along the same lines as my OP, expensive cables, snake-oil salesmen etc.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
You saved me from having to make a similar post, thanks WG haha.

One other thing that kind of irks me about the whole "audiophile" thing is having thousands of dollars of gear going into what most "audiophiles" would consider very mediocre headphones. That to me is just a boat load of irony.

There is a difference between using not using an EQ because you don't need to, and then there is not using it because of people say "audiophiles" don't use EQs", the latter is just ignorance imo.

I used stax electrostatic headphones with my system. and for Walkgood
As an audiophile I believe one thing and one thing only: My ears, I don't believe the hype, or the bull crap.

And to all of you stay away from bose triport headphones unless you can get them for ~$70, that IMO is all they are worth, and if you do get them contact me so I can tell you how to stop them from breaking.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBrat View Post
And to all of you stay away from bose triport headphones unless you can get them for ~$70, that IMO is all they are worth, and if you do get them contact me so I can tell you how to stop them from breaking.
I'm glad you're an audiophile i wouldn't trust your opinion otherwise.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Lots of people will make the argument that you should just get the headphones that sound the way you want, and then you won't need to use the eq because it's exactly the way you like it. But no two people have the same listening tastes/source audio, and there's no way your taste will be satisfied completely by your headphones. So you get headphones that are about what you like, and go from there.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

I don't trust anyone's saying they are an audiophile..

Old 03-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I don't trust anyone's saying they are an audiophile..
Heh,............I gotta agree with this myself.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Before I went to HI-FI I used Bose and JBL
I tried the triports out of curiosity, and they sound OK but their audio quality is only on par with other brands 70$ offerings.
and @WalkGood I believe that EQ should correct bad recordings NOT to compensate for the headphones. (that is what I meant)

Last edited by BattleBrat; 03-28-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Closed Thread