android
Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Default How to use my Sansa in the car?

This is my third sansa, just love them. But this week we got a new car, with no input cable hole to hook my Sansa up to the radio system. Very sad news.

How else can I get my music into the system? Are there accessories I can't find on the sandisk website? Like can you turn it to a radio station and program your music to play that frequency? Or an old school cd/wire combo?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Mel

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Hi Mel,

I have something similar to this product http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Univer...9540582&sr=8-3

I bought it at a Target awhile ago and use it mainly to listen to podcasts in the car, since the sound is not as clear as you would get with, say, an aux input. I've had it for almost 2 years now and it gets the job done.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaudemiel View Post
This is my third sansa, just love them. But this week we got a new car, with no input cable hole to hook my Sansa up to the radio system.
You have the following options, listed in order of increasing quality and price:

(1) Wireless FM. Connect the MP3 player to an FM transmitter (usually powered from the cig lighter socket).

Tune the car's HU (head unit) to the transmitter's frequency and listen. In my experience, the quality is usually poor, and having the transmitter stuck in the cig lighter socket inconvenient. But it is the only option which does not require installation.

(2) Wired FM. Connect an FM modulator (powered by the car battery) between the HU and the FM antenna.

Connect the player to the modulator, turn the modulator on, tune the HU to the modulator frequency, and listen. The quality is much better than wireless, but not as good as an auxilliary port. Requires installation.

(3) AUX port or XM radio. Depending on your car's make, model, year, and the type of HU installed, your HU might have the facility to connect an auxilliary device (eg, CD changer) or XM radio module. You may be able to purchase a device which feeds the MP3 player signal through this port. You may need to purchase separately a harness which makes the physical connection between the device and the HU and powers it. Of course, it requires installation.

(4) Replace the HU. Buy an new HU -- most if not all of the new ones come with aux inputs (some even come with USB and micro SD), and, at the lower end, the price can be within the same range as (3).

You will not find this kind of devices (most are designed for iPods anyway) on the SanDisk website. Try the large electronics retailers, or spe******ed car audio retailers. If you can't do the installation yourself, it's probably a good option to talk to a local car audio spe******t.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@OP...adding 1 item to Malix' great list [which I agree with as well re: quality order]...

- if your car happens to have a cassette deck, i find the cassette adapters with standard 3.5mm input plugs to be quite listenable, far better than any of the [rubbish] FM transmitters I have tried...I use ones from Aiwa and TDK and both work fine...lacking a bit in the high end, but i compensate by maxing out treble on the head unit and tweaking my player's EQ....

I rate the cassette adapter quality between items 2 + 3 from Malix' list...

good luck and cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Thank you! I am going to pick up a transmitter and give it a shot. Much appreciated! I coudln't find any online earlier that weren't for the dreaded iPod.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Banned

One more thing. All these devices are designed for line level input (high voltage, high impedance, low current -- relatively speaking). Driving them from the headphone out (low voltage, low impedance, high current) will not work very well.

If there are any MP3 players with a line out port, I don't know about them. Players with proprietary connectors (eg, Fuze) usually provide a line out signal throught this connector (it's not a true line out, but that's another story). You can use a dock or LOD to connect such players, with better results. Entry-level players (eg, Clip) do not have this option, and you can only use the headphone out to connect, in which case you will need some device (eg, a headphone amp) to boost the signal. (You may need to boost the signal even when connected with an LOD.) A stronger signal is particulary required for the FM options, because they are inherently "noisy".

Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malix View Post
One more thing. All these devices are designed for line level input (high voltage, high impedance, low current -- relatively speaking). Driving them from the headphone out (low voltage, low impedance, high current) will not work very well.

If there are any MP3 players with a line out port, I don't know about them. Players with proprietary connectors (eg, Fuze) usually provide a line out signal throught this connector (it's not a true line out, but that's another story). You can use a dock or LOD to connect such players, with better results. Entry-level players (eg, Clip) do not have this option, and you can only use the headphone out to connect, in which case you will need some device (eg, a headphone amp) to boost the signal. (You may need to boost the signal even when connected with an LOD.) A stronger signal is particulary required for the FM options, because they are inherently "noisy".

I can just tell you are a audiophile. The connection will work just fine, but if you want true high audio standards, you are correct Malix.
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaudemiel View Post
Thank you! I am going to pick up a transmitter and give it a shot. Much appreciated! I coudln't find any online earlier that weren't for the dreaded iPod.
As a person who has tried a FM transmitters, I could not stand it. Always had issues with static. It was an analog transmitter so perhaps this is why it was so bad. IMHO, I didn't want to bother with an electronic transmitter.

My vote goes to a hard line connection. Get a new head unit.

PS - What kind of car?
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.