android
Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Avatar

Anyone see it yet?

I saw it in 3D last night. While I didn't think it was the greatest story ever told, it was pretty awe-inspiring.

I liken it to probably what our parents felt when they first saw the original Star Wars. All the new planets, species, aliens and all that stuff...just, the imagination behind Star Wars, this was a similar experience only the tech was much more advanced. It was pretty amazing. The 3D was awesome. It wasn't gimmicky or like "oh, lets throw a bunch of gags at the audience like a chainsaw coming at them!" Heck, alot of the 3D wasn't even "out of the screen" 3d, it was "into the screen" 3d that added alot of depth and realism to the movie. I highly recommend it.

If you can't see it in IMAX 3D, make sure you see it in RealD 3D. The lenses use circular polarization rather than linear so you don't have to keep your head perfectly still and level to maintain good, glitchless 3D. It was my first legit digital 3D movie experience and to be honest, it was awesome. Alot of new movies are going that way and I think its for the better.

So what all did you think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I saw it yesterday. Pretty amazing effects. I was there when Star Wars came out, and it's not quite the same sensation. Star Wars was a possible future. Now we've seen several futures, and Avatar was just one more to me. Still, I thought it was extremely creative, beautiful to see, a decent story, and well worth seeing in a theater with $9 popcorn and $5 bottled water.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I saw it yesterday. Pretty amazing effects. I was there when Star Wars came out, and it's not quite the same sensation. Star Wars was a possible future. Now we've seen several futures, and Avatar was just one more to me. Still, I thought it was extremely creative, beautiful to see, a decent story, and well worth seeing in a theater with $9 popcorn and $5 bottled water.
Well that's probably the reason that it didn't quite have that same affect on you. Star Wars was like the original, and if you were there for that, then you become a little desensitized to that kinda of story/sensation. So I can understand that. I think it more as the Star Wars of this generation.

And I ate dinner before hand, no popcorn or water for me! haha. It was well worth the $12.50 admission price though.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1B dollars worldwide and apparently we're the only ones who have seen it. lol

Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Saw it and thought it was Dances With Wolves repackaged in scifi
box, but I liked it.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 PM

I felt it was way too long and too heavy-handed and not that all original (see Burroughs' A Princess of Mars). The special effects were nice, but I suppose after seeing so much CGI in films in the past twenty years, it's hard to impress me now. I think the last times CGI had any emotional affects on me were '93's "Jurassic Park" and '07's "Transformers."

Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 PM

I saw it. Haven't seen a movie in a long time (we don't have a theatre) and it just added to the awesomeness of the experience. I didnt even notice the near 2 hours that flew by!!

I want to see it in 3D though, might next week!
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
...the near 2 hours that flew by!!
you didn't notice so much that you didn't notice it was 2 and a half. lol

Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 AM

lol, my bad, I meant to say 3!! haha
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM

haha why don't you sneak in $1 candy and pop from walmart? lol it saves a lot of money

Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelangelo11 View Post
I think this movie was the best 3D experience you could ever but it would be alot better it there was naked scences of the people form the home land of avatar!
12 are we?