android
Old 03-22-2010, 04:17 PM

Default Need more volume from my Clip 8gb.

I've just updated the firmware to V02.01.35F and seem to have lost some volume. I've restored it to some extent by making a custom equalizer profile with all channels maxed-out, but I'd like a little more volume if possible.

Is it possible to increase the volume any, or should I try different earbuds? Current ones are Sony EX71.
Maybe a different set of 'buds would be more efficient? (I don't want lower quality though) Any recommendations?

Any advice? Cheers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...hread.id=23384

Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Aha!! Worked a treat! I am happy again.

Why must they always seek to protect us from ourselves?

Ta very muchly Saratoga

Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM

A lot of responses to this type of question mention getting the region correct. I don't see this info on my updated clip and I don't recall being asked when I updated (using the Sansa updater program). I don't have a problem, but where do you get to select region or does Sansa just assume region from the registration info.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Settings> Reset All> Yes>.
You'll lose all your settings but it's the only place I know except immediately after a firmware update where you see the Region Select screen. Someone else may know of other menu options but those are the only two instances where I have found the option to select a region.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Yes that's right. Settings>Reset All.

I'm in England, but apparently, to protect us from ourselves, there are now European laws which govern the volume settings of devices such as the Clip. But I guess you all knew that already
The latest firmware update abides by the laws and so knocked all my volume off. The bastards

So, after 'Reset All', I chose the USA as my region and got all my lovely volume back. I guess I just have to accept that, one day, I'll be as deaf as Americans

For FM radio settings, anyone in the UK or anywhere else in Europe should choose 'World'.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:13 PM

Remind me never, ever, to update the firmware.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara View Post
No reason to think that way....it's already been shown how to get around the European volume limitation, and in many cases, firmware updates add new features, not to mention fixing bugs.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 PM

OK... when the time comes, I'll brace ...

Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara View Post
If a workable equalizer, ReplayGain or pitch accuracy are in any way important to you I definitely would install the latest Clip update. I've usually felt "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but my low level of dissatisfaction caused me to update the firmware on my 8GB Clip as soon as it became available.

I found that in this probably final update that Sansa had fixed the things that stopped it from being not just a decent but VERY good player. You are now aware of the way to set your player for full volume and it only takes a few minutes to revert to an earlier version. I would give it a shot.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If a workable equalizer, ReplayGain or pitch accuracy are in any way important to you I definitely would install the latest Clip update. I've usually felt "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but my low level of dissatisfaction caused me to update the firmware on my 8GB Clip as soon as it became available.

I found that in this probably final update that Sansa had fixed the things that stopped it from being not just a decent but VERY good player. You are now aware of the way to set your player for full volume and it only takes a few minutes to revert to an earlier version. I would give it a shot.
Skip, I forgot to check the EQ when I had my old V2 Clip for a day( to update it and load it for its new owner)but the RG was going to be very useful to the new owner.....so it works a little better now? I think the Clip+ EQ is a little better than that old one was.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM

Thank you

Old 03-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Administrator

The firmware update brought the Clip and the Clip+ EQ to the same level to my ears. I've flipped back and forth a few times between the older and newer firmwares and there is a definite improvement. I can get a decent bass boost without everything else distorting. I've also done a bit of comparing with the Clip+. They sound about the same now. Of course that's all subjective and YMMV.

Sony Clear Bass no, better yes.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The firmware update brought the Clip and the Clip+ EQ to the same level to my ears. I've flipped back and forth a few times between the older and newer firmwares and there is a definite improvement. I can get a decent bass boost without everything else distorting. I've also done a bit of comparing with the Clip+. They sound about the same now. Of course that's all subjective and YMMV.

Sony Clear Bass no, better yes.
That's cool then. Makes me wonder if that was the last update, or not, since this one was a surprise.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Administrator

I'm guessing that was it. Sansa has them in their outlet center online. Then again it's Sansa, who knows what those jokers have up their sleeve.