android
Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

The UR40 arent closed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 AM

True, it seems Koss bills them as having a "hybrid design" : "With its hybrid design, the UR40 combines the best of closed-style and open-style headphones. Closed leatherette earcushions form a light seal around the ears, enhancing bass frequencies. Screened earcups provide an open, hear-through sound that lets listeners stay in touch with the world around them. The result is a full frequency, clean sound that turns any recording into a "live" performance."

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^fs^UR40

Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Made some progress since I first posted here !

1. Got the HD212, they have a LOT of bass and hurt my ears pretty quick, ok for using in the tube I guess, or in a car

2. Got the Audio Technica A900 on eBay from Japan : nice sound, but I miss the bass of the HD212...they're a keeper for home use

3. Still would like to get a good pair of cans for the road/vacations : I was on the fence for the AKG 412P, PX100 and UR-40 and PortaPro. Wouldn't hurt if I could use them to jog too, so that rules out the UR-40. Have read your informative reviews on the 412P and PX100, need to see if you've reviewed the two others now ;-)

Old 11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Maybe I did not give it enough tie but I was very disappointed with the PX-100. To me, the overall sound stage was lacking and the bass wasn't as pronounced as I was hoping.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Ah that's bad news, do you have a link to your review?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

if you mean me, no, I don't have a review because I did not hold onto them long enough. I usually know right away if I will be pleased with a product or not. For instance, the minute I listened to the Grado SR60, I knew for sure they will suit my purpose.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:50 PM

ok, not quite as portable as the PX-100 though. For quality listening in the home I have the A900 ;-)

Old 12-02-2008, 10:30 AM

Hmm.. Amazon has these now for $37? I might have to pick these up. I haven't had headphones like these in years. Full cans. =D

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just picked up a pair of these, and so far i have to agree with the review

Old 03-27-2009, 10:41 AM

I like that your review compares to the portapro (having come to PX100s from the PPs myself this year). I have to agree with the review. New parts of tracks (in the mid to higher frequencies) that weren't clear on my PPs have come forward on the PX100s.

Weighing the two up, and being a basshead myself, I still have a little longing for the PPs. However, I am not disappointed. The feel of these headphones is nice, and it avoids the metal band issues the PP had. They feel lighter and more comfortable on the ears. Could do with a 45 degree jack, perhaps, but I think that's my preference Overall, they are proving interesting as they allow me to listen to my music again in a whole new way.

Anyway, have to agree with this review. Hope they last longer than the PPs!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Sennheiser PX100 User Review

Nice review and pics. I have the same Surefire mount with a Surfire light and have had no problems with it, maybe there is a difference in the diameter in the lights, which would put strain on the latch and cause it to break. JMO