android
Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Default Battery test report *Update*

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...334#post440304

Last edited by Steel; 02-07-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Topic moved

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2010, 11:28 PM

This is probably the least accurate test I've ever seen. No offense intended, but in order to properly test a batter you need to charge it FULLY and deplete it FULLY. I know that that is a pain and that it takes forever, but '1 bar' is about the least precise measurement you could be using.

sorry bud :/

Old 02-07-2010, 12:07 AM

1 bar could be anywhere between 12.5% and 37.5%, assuming the S9 rounds to the nearest 25%.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Redneck Moderator

Yeah, you should test it again and charge it fully, then discharge it fully. As we know with some devices the electronic battery meters can also be out of calibration.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 PM

Terrible battery report, I know. I just rushed it out because I wanted to use the player (lol). Here is another one I did today, compared with my P2 as well.

S9: BBE Headphones 1, brightness 3, music loop, vol 16, screen always on
P2: Custom DNSe, brightness 5, music loop, vol 15, screen always on

Cowon S9

4/4 full battery at start
3/4 in 1h 15m
2/4 in 2h 45m
1/4 in 3h 15m
0/4 in 6h 15m
Shuts off at 7h 15m
-reboot-
Shuts off at 7h 30m
-reboot-
Shuts off at 7h 45m
-reboot-
Shuts off at 8 hours

Samsung P2
4/4 full battery at start
3/4 in 1h 40m
2/4 in 2h 40m
1/4 in 4h 10m

A few tidbits now. The S9 had headphones plugged in while the P2 did not. The one thing that surprised me was that the S9 dropped to 3/4 after such a short amount of time (1h 15m). Maybe this was because I started the test immediately when the battery reached 100% charge.

After 7h 15m the S9 got low battery warnings and shut itself off 4 times. I was able to squeeze about 15 mins after each shutdown, and the battery finally died at around 8 hours. The P2 kept going after the S9 died, but I didn't record it.

Now about the result. 8 hours total, I think is not very good. I read the specs about the promised 11 hour movie time at the official Cowon site, and the settings were similar to mine except the brightness listed was even higher (brightness 4)!

Assuming that playing videos takes more power than playing music, my S9 lasted 8 hours just playing music, with brightness at 3, whereas the promised time for video is 11 hours with brightness at 4. So, that tells me that my battery may be defunct, because it should be able to play music longer than playing videos, especially with the brightness lower by 1 point.

I need some opinions on this. I will also do a video test and Bluetooth test soon.

Hope this is much clearer now.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Redneck Moderator

Well obviously every manufacturer is going to lie, cheat, and steal when it comes to posting the battery specs. I always assume that they are at least 1/4 less than what is listed.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:45 PM

That still seems a bit low to me. I've gotten about 10 hours of movie playback before, with no sound enhancements, brightness 3.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Well obviously every manufacturer is going to lie, cheat, and steal when it comes to posting the battery specs. I always assume that they are at least 1/4 less than what is listed.
I guess that makes sense... but near 8 hours is still kind of low, not to mention the P2 somehow lasted longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beremat View Post
That still seems a bit low to me. I've gotten about 10 hours of movie playback before, with no sound enhancements, brightness 3.
Are you absolutely sure about that? I'll compare it later when I do a video test

Old 02-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Well, they do tell you in the specs what settings they used to achieve it... I would be more interested in people trying to replicate their results with the settings they used, than complaining that it doesn't live up to it when they're obviously more intensive settings.

At very least, tests should be run with settings that most people would reasonably use... Like ogg files encoded at 190 kb/s or similar, and headphones with higher impedance (though to be honest it's not nearly as big a deal as people think it is. The biggest difference is found in how far away the driver is from your ear). Doing tests with BBE settings is just a little useless since it's basically a toy and even if you do use them constantly, it's unlikely you'll have to same settings as someone else likes to use, much less that you'll keep it on 100% of the time. Most of the time I find BBE settings just increase the volume of every instrument a genre uses, making it just as effective to turn up to volume and turn off the BBE for the same effect.

Just my thoughts. I don't have the will power to not use my S9 for the amount of time it's supposed to last. It hasn't died on me in the middle of use yet. I only ever manage to knock off 'a bar' before I feel like recharging it.

PS: FYI I believe the settings they test music at are 128 kb/s mp3 files, with the stock earphones, and the screen off. Whatever settings they use to test video, I can't imagine being very useful since your video files are always going to vary A LOT. At best they run loops of their ads that came with the device over and over, at worst they use some crap quality file that no one would want to encode at.

Last edited by Chef; 02-07-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Redneck Moderator

Yeah, thats what I meant, even if they aren't lying about it, its never real world. So I always assume 1/4 less than what they say. Although I have had players that actually achieved more than what the manufacture suggested(Sony NW-E405 I got 65 actual hours out of it).

Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Most of the time I find BBE settings just increase the volume of every instrument a genre uses, making it just as effective to turn up to volume and turn off the BBE for the same effect.
Really? BBE isn't just volume maximization. it's a mixture of EQ and compression/limiting. BBE+ Sonic Maximizer has been a studio-standard tool for audio production since the 90s and the original unit allows you to really sculpt the bass and high end response of audio mixdowns (I never found it to be too effective with mids though). In the S9, it's not the same exact sound as the hardware unit but has a similar effect - emphasize the low and high end freqs and lightly compress or limit the entire track, to varying degrees depending on preset of course. This doesn't necessarily raise the volume of every instrument, though it may sound that way at first. Really what it's doing is bringing quieter elements more to the forefront, while accentuating the peaks of the recording, which are generally bass and highs. BBE Headphone 3 I find to be the most enjoyable when it comes to headphone use, and BBE Viva 2 for home stereo and car stereo use. I think they rock! Anything else, and the S9 sounds just like every other PMP.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Bluetooth test
Music playback (BBE off, screen off, volume 0) 128-320kbps files

4/4 full charge
3/4 in 1h
2/4 in 3h
1/4 in 4h
0/4 in 7h

Around 7 hours total. I am quite surprised because I heard people getting 5h or less on average. I also watched about 30 mins of videos (with BBE) in between the test. After 7h it only shut off once. I would assume that if I kept rebooting it I could have squeezed out more time.

And just like my first test, the battery dropped to 1/4 bar fast and then stayed there the longest. So the battery indicator on my S9 is a bit quirky but I don't mind.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the review Steel!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:41 AM

Now a test with music of a middle-decent quality, normal volume with headphones and turned-off screen would be nice.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Folks, whenever you connect anything that's bluetooth expect your normal battery time to drop way down. The wireless connectivity between the mp3 player and a bluetooth device is significantly draining on the device. These figures don't surprise me a bit. Personally, I'd rather have a premium set of earbuds any day over a bluetooth headset. I choose battery life over convenience.