android
Old 02-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Computer does not detect CowonS9 as storage device

Hello togehter,

about two months ago I bought me a cowon S9 32G. I am very happy with this product. Two weeks ago I put a lot of audiobooks on it. Now I am trough with my audiobooks and movies an wantet to replave the files. I connectet it with my pc but my cowon doesent appear.
On the player itself there is the battery charging symbol. But not the "USB connectet" as it should be. So I cant put anything on it or delete something.
Besides that the player still works fine. I also connected it with 3 other pc's. Same result.
Does anybody have an idea what to do?

Greetings Querschlaeger

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-05-2010, 04:46 PM

Have you tried a different USB cable?
You could have a bad cable,you have a year warranty also if you bought "new" two months ago.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 AM

in what mode are you connecting your device to your PC? MSC or MTP?
(go to Settings > System > USB Mode)

Old 02-06-2010, 05:30 AM

I tried both modes. And the usb cable works well enough to charge the battery. Its a mystery to me why my pc and two other pc's dont fint it anymore.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Redneck Moderator

The charge wire and the transfer wire are different, so you could have just damaged one and not the other. But there is always the option that the DAP itself is malfunctioning.

Just for the record though, did you try the reset button?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM

I tried the reset button several times

Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 PM

the same thing has happen to me, bought the s9 today and when i connect to the pc, nothing happens, tried on 3 computers, 2 macs and 1 win 7 machine. anybody???

Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Try a different usb port. Sometimes the amount of power is stronger on one usb port than another. I occassionally have this problem when I'm plugging in usb flash drives. Sometimes I will go to plug in a flash drive and nothing happens. Then when I plug it into another usb port everything magically works. Oh, and another thing. Make sure that nothing has taken over the drive letter that your cowon is trying to use. If you've already connected once before a a hard drive has taken over the drive letter then you would need to reassign your cowon with a new drive letter. I can help you with this as it's not to difficult to do.

Use this as a last option. You can't do any damage to your pc by doing this. First, try this. Plug in your cowon s9 into a usb port. Now, when it's plugged in go to the My Computer icon on your desktop. Right-click and choose Manage. Scroll down to Disk Management and click on it. It will take a minute or so to refresh. These are all of your hard drives and connected devices. Scroll down past your main hard drives and see if another device appears in the list that is around 32GB is size. It could be disk 2, disk 3, etc. It will show as a removable drive. If it appears in this list it is your cowon s9 and your pc recognizes it as a storage device. If it shows here but is not showing itself as connected let's try reassigning the drive letter. This may help any of you with this problem. Right-click on the drive(your cowon) in disk management, and choose "change drive letter and paths". A list will appear that shows you any "open" drive letters that you can use for this drive. Pick one that is close in proximity to your other letters. It will give you a warning telling you that changing your drive letter can create problems. Accept this or say ok. At this point, if my suspicions are correct, you should see your cowon being recognized by the pc.

If it doesn't do anything, reboot and see if your drive is recognized after the changes you just made.