android
Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Default Firmware update or "Clip++"?

Hi all!

I have been looking for an acceptable mp3 player for a long time and finally thought that I had found a player worth buying when I read about the Sansa Clip. However, there are, from my point of view, some serious problems.

First is the fact that it does not have what someone in this forum called "Automatic Folder Advance": i.e. if you have loaded your music onto the player in folders, and play the tracks in one folder, it will not advance to the next folder unless you prompt it to do so.

This is an astounding oversight!

You can put a week's worth of music on the thing and if it is in folders, you must manually advance the playback every, let's say, 45 minutes. And what is even more baffling, is that this feature is not unique to the Clip! That the lousy Sony whatever-it-was-called that I had for two days was also burdened with the very same problem. Which was, to be honest, only one of several reasons why it was returned almost immediately. But I digress.

Second problem: Exceedingly short battery life. From what I have read here, I would need to charge it every day. Boy oh boy.

Third problem: This seems to be a USB2 device. I'll bet that it takes some real time to fill it with music. USB3 is now beginning to appear on motherboards and (th the best of knowledge - I could be mistaked) USB3 controller chips are now available for other devices. Using USB2, even filling a lousy 1gb mp3 player is time-consuming task. I am hoping that USB3 would make this less of a burden; it is a real fly-in-the-ointment. (Of course, it might be possible that the flash memory in the device is the reason that putting new music on a player is so tedious, tiresome, and time-consuming. I am not sure. But if it is, then maybe Sansa has some plans to improve that too.)

So, here is what: Maybe Sansa will release a firmware update with Automatic Folder Advance, and decent battery life, and then take that firmware and put it into a new USB3-capable device with faster memory: a Clip++.

Question: Is it possible to have the Clip+ sort and play files by filename, completely ignoring tags? Or would I have to kill all the tags in order to have it sort and play by filename?

Next question: Can someone here suggest something instead of the Sansa which would meet the following requirements:
1) Can use Windows Explorer to transfer files with no need for proprietary software;
2) Has at least 4.3 gbs of real, available-to-the-user-for-actual-music-files space. A player that has 4gbs space, of which 350mbs is dedicated to system files, is not, in my estimation, a 4gbs device; it is a 3.65gbs device. As I have my (very extensive) mp3 collection archived on DVD, I would want to be able to take a whole dvd's contents and put it on the player.
3) Has Automatic Folder Advance;
4) Must sort files by filename and not by tags. It must be able to ignore tags entirely. I have edited the filenames of my tracks to have the title format I want so that when I play them on the computer they play in the order I want, showing the information that I want them to show.
Additional parameter: I have no need for video or even any kind of LCD readout at all.

That's it for today!
Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM

"First is the fact that it does not have what someone in this forum called "Automatic Folder Advance": i.e. if you have loaded your music onto the player in folders, and play the tracks in one folder, it will not advance to the next folder unless you prompt it to do so."

I play a week's worth of podcasts using Folders->MTP->(artist name)->Play All or something close, and it plays each hour of each day correctly. It took a while to figure it out, and I hated the fact that after each day i had to back up several levels, increment the day, and descend back to the file level to resume playing.

"Second problem: Exceedingly short battery life. From what I have read here, I would need to charge it every day. Boy oh boy."

You would only have to charge it "every day" if you exceed the discharge life "every day". I've seen battery life from 10 to 15 hours - to have to charge it every day would require a lot of Clip+ listening. I know, I know - battery life depends on the encoding of the files and such, but you'd have to listen to it a lot to have to charge it every day.

"Third problem: This seems to be a USB2 device. I'll bet that it takes some real time to fill it with music. USB3 is now beginning to appear on motherboards and (th the best of knowledge - I could be mistaked) USB3 controller chips are now available for other devices."

USB3 requires a whole new set of cables, sockets, and plugs, which will radically change the form factor of smaller players such as the Clip+. Per Wikipedia, Intel, a major implementer of USB, won't even support USB3 until 2011. Yes, USB2 is slower than USB3, and that difference will be more obvious on a higher capacity device. But how often would you really be moving gigs of data? If the answer is "often" then maybe you should reconsider...

Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 AM

To problem 3, from what I have seen in portable devices, the flash memory inside the players is often cheap and slow, it won't come close to hitting usb 2.0 speeds, and the clip+ came out before usb 3.0 was officially released, and very few motherboards have usb 3.0, those that do only have a few of the many usb slots as usb 3.0, people need add on cards to even get usb 3.0 speeds, but like I said before, this is irrelevant as usb 2.0 with an external hard drive can do 3-50 MBps sustained, this means an 8GB clip would fill 100% in less than 5 mins, probably less than 2.5, and that is hardly a long wait to completely fill an mp3 player, so as I said before, don't blame usb, blame the uber tiny slow cheap flash memory in a cheap affordable player.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As to the size of the internal memory, just buy a microSD card; an 8GB card can be found for $15-$20, a 4GB for $10-$12 ...

Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahavishnu_Weiding View Post
First is the fact that it does not have what someone in this forum called "Automatic Folder Advance": i.e. if you have loaded your music onto the player in folders, and play the tracks in one folder, it will not advance to the next folder unless you prompt it to do so.

This is an astounding oversight!

You can put a week's worth of music on the thing and if it is in folders, you must manually advance the playback every, let's say, 45 minutes. And what is even more baffling, is that this feature is not unique to the Clip! That the lousy Sony whatever-it-was-called that I had for two days was also burdened with the very same problem. Which was, to be honest, only one of several reasons why it was returned almost immediately. But I digress.
Not sure where you found this information but if you correctly file your music on the player you can have it play folders in succession without having to press a button.

My MicroSDHC card is organized as such:

Music
-Hip Hop
--Artist 1
---Album 1
--Artist 2
---Album 1

and so on.

All you need to do is go to the Hip Hop folder of which mine is 14gb large on my 16gb card and hit "Play All". It will then proceed to play each folder in order, or you can shuffle by album and it will play a full album randomly one after the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahavishnu_Weiding View Post

Second problem: Exceedingly short battery life. From what I have read here, I would need to charge it every day. Boy oh boy.
10-12 hours of battery life doesn't seem low to me, but i change my music on my clip a lot so i rarely kill the battery.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Last edited by Adub; 02-25-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
Not sure where you found this information but if you correctly file your music on the player you can have it play folders in succession without having to press a button. [...]

All you need to do is go to the Hip Hop folder of which mine is 14gb large on my 16gb card and hit "Play All". It will then proceed to play each folder in order, or you can shuffle by album and it will play a full album randomly one after the other.
You can't start anywhere in the middle of a folder/subfolder hierarchy, "play all" starts always at the beginning, in the first folder. This is highly flawed on the Clip+, and not really a useful folder advance solution. If you have a dozen folders from A to Z, and you want to listen to M and want it to automatically continue to N, this method doesn't really work.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Very true i never really thought of how useful it would be to use it in that way, i generally select random by album and just play.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677