android
Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM

Default New Sansa players...?

Has there been any rumors floating around of new Sansa players in development? Judging by the fact that the sansa fuze and view are both two years old or more, I wonder if its worth waiting for a newer Fuze or View model but I don't see info at all on anything coming out this year other than the clip+ which is great in any event. Or should I just go with the fuze or view regardless based on the if it aint broke don't fix it idea, and not worry about updated models of which there is no word of anyway? Sorry if there is another thread on this, I am on my phone and its a pain doing thread searches.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2010, 06:24 AM

Given their new "value"-thrust (i.e., delivering cheap stuff rather than trying to compete with the big players) I'd not hold any great hopes of newer products being BETTER than existing stuff. Less expensive, perhaps -- but, at what cost?

As to the Fuze Vs. View, it MAY be a fairly easy decision for you, depending on your particular needs.

The "Reader's Digest" Executive Summary may be of some help -- the View has a larger screen with better (QVGA) resolution, and, IF you buy a third-party 30-pin cable, you can use its video output line.

It also has much better video file format support (not nearly as restrictive as the Fuze's oddball twist on the AVI spec).

The Fuze has a smaller screen, with lower resolution -- however, it's crystal clear, nice and sharp -- plenty of resolution for a screen of that size -- and, has MUCH better firmware (bookmarking for videos, audiobooks, and podcasts, incremental fast-forward (you don't have to spend the rest of the day slewing through a long chapter to get to a certain point mid-way through it), and, with recent firmware versions, halfway decent (audio-only) directory navigation.

However, it does NOT have a video output line, and, its video format requirements border on the sadistic. Thankfully, a third party freeware program (video4fuze) does yeoman duty, making video actually usable on the Fuze.

In addition, there is no Rockbox support for the View, nor is there likely to be any -- and, it seems that Sansa dropped all firmware development effort for that player a LONG time ago. Go read the numerous complaints by owners, extremely frustrated at being stuck with crude, buggy software and no apparent hope of resolution.

There IS Rockbox support for the Fuze V1, and there MAY at some point be support for the Fuze V2. Unfortunately, IF there is ever a V2 version, it's not likely to be for some time (I would be very surprised to see a Fuze V2 port in less than a year or two, and I would NOT be surprised to NOT see a Fuze V2 version of Rockbox, ever.)

There is one other consideration regarding the Fuze. The V1 is very picky about its ability to display video content placed on the MicroSD/SDHC card. By that I mean that in most cases -- in my experience -- it doesn't work. The videos will begin playing, but after a few seconds, the player will lock up requiring a hard reset. From what I've read on the forums I am NOT the only one to experience this behavior.

The Fuze V2 does NOT seem to have this problem. I'm able to play videos placed on the flash card without any problem. It seems clear to me that they fixed something with the V2.

Now, with Rockbox, you can play videos on the Fuze V1 using the flash card without any problems, and, it has a better video player application, AND, it uses a standard (.MPG) video format.

In short, if you do NOT need the larger screen, the wider selection of video formats, OR the external video format, I think you will be MUCH happier with the Fuze. It's a nice little device, very elegant.

That said, I will be surprised if they keep it in production for much longer, due to the fact that it's been out for some time now, and, their recent declaration of their new mission as a "value" vendor.

So, there MAY at some point be a short window of opportunity to buy some Fuzes at clearance prices, IF they decide to put remaining stock on the market at "buyer's market" pricing. Your guess is as good as mine, and my crystal ball is out for firmware update.

Finally, IF you NEED the larger display and/or the video output, and, IF you can live with the obnoxious MANDATORY "walled garden" synch program, you MIGHT want to consider a Zune 80 or 120. The caveats are -- in addition to the obnoxious zune.exe program needed to put content onto the player -- the fact that Microsoft has ceased production of all hard drive based Zunes.

However, the Zunes have EXCELLENT video, a truly beautiful LCD (unlike most, viewable from ANY angle without going dark/light/negative/solarized), and halfway decent video format support (they only accept two formats -- and one -- .WMV -- is very picky about HOW it's encoded, and, different from how the Zune 30 demands its .WMV(0nly), which is why I do NOT recommend the Zune 30).

However, the good news is that the OTHER format it accepts is identical to the format the Ipod uses, which means there are scads of programs that can create video for it. (Please note that I am NOT talking about DRM'd (encrypted) video -- which will NOT play on the Zune IF created for the Ipod.)

I regularly time-shift television shows for my wife's Ipod, and the same files play on my Zune 80 without ANY changes. I use Handbrake, telling it to create an Ipod file, and the Zune 80 is perfectly content with it.

You can get a fairly inexpensive video cable for the Zune (plugs into the earphone jack, and provides composite video and left/right audio channels), or, a dock (which, depending on version, may include an IR remote control for the Zune).

The Zune is MUCH larger than the Fuze (offhand I'd say maybe four times larger, approximately). It's roughly the same size as my wife's Ipod (a Gen 5), BUT, the LCD is probably close to TWICE as large as the Ipod's LCD. Way to go, Apple, scrimping on the display on a VIDEO player!)

If the video is NOT a major issue to you, you really can't beat the Fuze. It has MUCH better audiobook and podcast management than either of the others (the View or the Zune), it can get lost in your shirt pocket, and the sound quality is fantastic.

One final consideration is that the Zune has a nice hard GLASS screen cover, whereas the Fuze has a soft, easy to scratch plastic display window.

I recommend a "skin" (I buy from a company that I think is called something like "best skins forever" -- I forget the exact name, I have no affiliation with them, I just like their prices and products). There are other companies that sell the same material -- it's an ultra rugged clear plastic, designed to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotor blades. It's about impossible to damage this stuff, but if you DO damage it, you're out maybe three or four bucks -- peel it off and buy a new one to apply. If you scratch the actual screen on the player, you're screwed.

BTW, although the glass on the Zune is MUCH more resistant to scratching than the display on the Sansa, it's NOT totally impervious to scratching. The glass on one of mh Zunes DID get a scratch -- no idea how -- it was the ONE time I put it into my shirt pocket WITHOUT first placing it in a cloth pouch. When I took it out of my pocket, it had a nice scratch right there in the glass. All I can figure is that a tiny piece of grit/dust/whatever had lodged in the shirt pocket and it was harder than the glass.

I lucked out, sort of. The WIFI section died, and Microsoft replaced the whole player under warranty. (I was expecting to get the same one back with repaired WIFI and scratched glass -- but pleasantly surprised to receive a NEW unit in exchange for the refurb I sent in. For all my (and others) griping, they DO do SOME things right for their customers.)

So, I now put skins on the displays of ALL my trinkets, and urge others to do likewise if they care about their displays. A scratch IS forever.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
Has there been any rumors floating around of new Sansa players in development? Judging by the fact that the sansa fuze and view are both two years old or more, I wonder if its worth waiting for a newer Fuze or View model but I don't see info at all on anything coming out this year other than the clip+ which is great in any event. Or should I just go with the fuze or view regardless based on the if it aint broke don't fix it idea, and not worry about updated models of which there is no word of anyway? Sorry if there is another thread on this, I am on my phone and its a pain doing thread searches.
As far as I can tell, we got pretty much no notice of the Clip+ coming out. I only read ABi, not the Sansa forums, but anything important there is usually echo'd here pretty quickly. That makes me think that we won't get much notice of the next new goodie.

M_K: I just got finished reading your comments accusing somebody else about being snotty, so I'm sure that you'll have something to say about me. But please tell me where in your long diatribe you answered glove4's question. Cause I didn't see it in there.

Steve

Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
M_K: I just got finished reading your comments accusing somebody else about being snotty, so I'm sure that you'll have something to say about me. But please tell me where in your long diatribe you answered glove4's question. Cause I didn't see it in there.

Steve
You read my mind.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 PM

Um... did you guys read first sentence of the diatribe?

Q. Is there something better coming or should I just get the Fuze or View?
A. I wouldn't hold my breath, SanDisk is going after the budget market so even if they do have something new coming it might not be a significant improvement.

What's the problem? I thought that post was well stated and probably helpful to someone trying to choose which Sansa they should get.

-I don't feel strongly on the subject so I neither agree nor disagree with the answer given. If you disagree: fine, but acting like an answer was never written is odd.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM

I appreciate the replies, especially M_K for the very long one. I am using a Fuze now, like it a lot. By the way, I figured no matter what that any new player coming out this year or next would still be a budget player like the Fuze or Clip. I have a soft spot for budget players though. I have tried higher end touchscreen players like the Sony X-series, Creative Zen X-fi2, and as good as they sound, I end up using the cheaper, easier to navigate players far more, like the Clip and now the Fuze. Doesn't sound nearly as sharp as the Cowon I9 that I also have tried, but it sounds good enough to my ears, now I just need to upgrade the headphones as the $80 Klipsch S4 headphones are excellent, but I think more expensive model will make these players sound even better.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
Um... did you guys read first sentence of the diatribe?

Q. Is there something better coming or should I just get the Fuze or View?
A. I wouldn't hold my breath, SanDisk is going after the budget market so even if they do have something new coming it might not be a significant improvement.

What's the problem? I thought that post was well stated and probably helpful to someone trying to choose which Sansa they should get.

-I don't feel strongly on the subject so I neither agree nor disagree with the answer given. If you disagree: fine, but acting like an answer was never written is odd.
It didn't actually answer the "are there new models coming?"

Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
I appreciate the replies, especially M_K for the very long one. I am using a Fuze now, like it a lot. By the way, I figured no matter what that any new player coming out this year or next would still be a budget player like the Fuze or Clip. I have a soft spot for budget players though. I have tried higher end touchscreen players like the Sony X-series, Creative Zen X-fi2, and as good as they sound, I end up using the cheaper, easier to navigate players far more, like the Clip and now the Fuze. Doesn't sound nearly as sharp as the Cowon I9 that I also have tried, but it sounds good enough to my ears, now I just need to upgrade the headphones as the $80 Klipsch S4 headphones are excellent, but I think more expensive model will make these players sound even better.
Me too. I have several players, and the expensive ones don't get to go anywhere exciting bless them.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
As far as I can tell, we got pretty much no notice of the Clip+ coming out. I only read ABi, not the Sansa forums, but anything important there is usually echo'd here pretty quickly. That makes me think that we won't get much notice of the next new goodie.

Steve
Steve, I would have to respectfully disagree on the Clip+, IIRC no9 did a review within the first week of it hitting the market here and I believe that the marketing departments of these companies tie the Editor’s hands about releasing information too soon even though they know something. Regardless, I know that Enzo will bring us the news as soon as he is allowed to release it, so stay tuned

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Steve, I would have to respectfully disagree on the Clip+, IIRC no9 did a review within the first week of it hitting the market here and I believe that the marketing departments of these companies tie the Editor’s hands about releasing information too soon even though they know something. Regardless, I know that Enzo will bring us the news as soon as he is allowed to release it, so stay tuned
If I remember correctly, he went out and bought it at a store. I wouldn't consider that as proof of us having notice. And again, if editor's hands are tied, again there would be no notice if it happens as it did with the clip+. People bought the clip+ at a regular store before we were ever told of its existence.

If anything your post agrees with Steve.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nena View Post
If I remember correctly, he went out and bought it at a store. I wouldn't consider that as proof of us having notice. And again, if editor's hands are tied, again there would be no notice if it happens as it did with the clip+. People bought the clip+ at a regular store before we were ever told of its existence.

If anything your post agrees with Steve.
There was no notice at all of the Clip+ coming. The entire summer before it was released, all there was, in the SanDisk forum in particular, was clamoring for a new firmware update, which was lagging far behind the previous schedule they had been keeping. And pretty much all the things people wanted for their existing Clips, were suddenly available,but in a new player.

And a little while after it was released, they issued their statement which basically said, "we're busy with the new player,so maybe at some point if the engineers have free time they'll do another update for the old Clip"(ok, so that was an extreme paraphrase, but it's true)....which means, it's been relegated to pasture, like the View(which also still is sold in stores, btw).

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Clip+, but the way they handled that situation still irks me a little bit.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 AM

It irks me too. The whole situation gave me a different perspective of sandisk. I would certainly be a little wary of buying a fuze now.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, he went out and bought it at a store. ...
You are correct, although if you had been in irc at the time, you may have a different impression. Also I don’t see what irks you and marvin, they released another good player, what would you want them to do, put on a turtle neck sweater and hold a press conference

Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So let me see if I have this right. Some people are irk'd and others are irc'd.

Verrrrrry interesting.

BTW, this kind of thread reminds me of something called vapourware. Announced but never reached market. Personally I would much rather products hit the market quietly and be available, than announced and reaching market 6 months (or whatever) later. Especially since that would cause every other qusetion or comment on the forum to be "where is the new product". It's bad enough that I live in Canada where half (or more) never show up anyway.

Steve

Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
You are correct, although if you had been in irc at the time, you may have a different impression. Also I don’t see what irks you and marvin, they released another good player, what would you want them to do, put on a turtle neck sweater and hold a press conference
They dropped the clip development for the clip+ (even though an update had been promised AND they still sell the original). I'm not about to retype months of will they, won't they but it was a long drawn out process ending in a very disappointing statement from sandisk, which left a lot of people a cold. Not sure how you missed it and/or forgot it. Changed a lot of opinions.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
... Not sure how you missed it and/or forgot it. Changed a lot of opinions.
Didn't miss a thing, If you are talking about the audio pitch bug that causes audio playback to be slightly slower than it should be, it doesn't bother me. Why would you drag that up in a thread that’s talking about the release of new players ... You might want to look at http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=48208

BTW, I'm very happy with the clips I have and I know pleanty of others that are as well. For what it is, it's a very affordable player that sounds very good to my ears. I even run rockbox on 3 of the 4 we have, if you don't like them, don't buy them ...

Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned

For me the Clip+ was wasted with being unable to integrate the MicroSD properly. (long refreshes, random refreshes)

I wouldn't buy Sansa again.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
For me the Clip+ was wasted with being unable to integrate the MicroSD properly. (long refreshes, random refreshes)

Good point, they've never been able to fix that, even from the e200 series, guess if and when rockbox gets ported that won't be an issue. Which btw I read they've started on ...

Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Didn't miss a thing, If you are talking about the audio pitch bug that causes audio playback to be slightly slower than it should be, it doesn't bother me. Why would you drag that up in a thread that’s talking about the release of new players ... You might want to look at http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=48208

BTW, I'm very happy with the clips I have and I know pleanty of others that are as well. For what it is, it's a very affordable player that sounds very good to my ears. I even run rockbox on 3 of the 4 we have, if you don't like them, don't buy them ...
Like I said previously, it would make me think twice before buying a fuze now. And sweetheart, I didn't bring it up.

I have 6 sansa players and have upgraded every time a new clip model came out, why would you assume I'm unhappy with my devices? I'm unhappy with sandisk's response to certain things, but rather that than be deluded into assuming they're awesome regardless of what they do.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post

Quote:
Good point, they've never been able to fix that, even from the e200 series, guess if and when rockbox gets ported that won't be an issue. Which btw I read they've started on ...
There's enough people talking about that issue, both in this forum and the Sansa one, that I probably will never get a card for mine. If I really need to carry around more than its 8GB can carry, I'll bring my Sony too.