android
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 AM

Default Sansa Fuze Issues (Unified Thread)

hi guys!

this is my first post here in abi, so yey for me

anyway, i'm really confused on whether to buy Sansa Fuze or not. based on the threads i've read so far, so many issues are not yet resolved and on top of that, quality is really bad in the sense that you can only expect it to last in 6 months. with all these being said, i'm having second thoughts on sansa fuze.

now guys, i really need your help. could you please post your issues and problems with your fuze? if someone else has the solution, kindly post it i hope this thread isn't being redundant despite the presence of "problem-solution" kind of posts. i just want to have a unified thread so that users can easily evaluate sansa fuze

hope to receive your inputs. thank you very much!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filousophe View Post
hi guys! this is my first post here in abi, so yey for me
Welcome to abi, enjoy …

Quote:
anyway, i'm really confused on whether to buy Sansa Fuze or not. based on the threads i've read so far, so many issues are not yet resolved and on top of that, quality is really bad in the sense that you can only expect it to last in 6 months. with all these being said, i'm having second thoughts on sansa fuze.
What are you talking about o_O The fuze is one of the best Sansa’s made to date. People come here to post their issues hoping to get an answer to fix there product more than to praise it, I think you’re off base … BTW, I have some sansa products that are years past your 6 month mark and still running fine. Also have friends that have owned the fuze well over a year and all is rocking ...

Quote:
now guys, i really need your help. could you please post your issues and problems with your fuze? if someone else has the solution, kindly post it i hope this thread isn't being redundant despite the presence of "problem-solution" kind of posts. i just want to have a unified thread so that users can easily evaluate sansa fuze …
Why reinvent the wheel, that is the purpose of the Fuse forum and all the threads within that forum, if it’s too much to read, why not read the Fuze Review, it’s a great player and if you’re lucky enough to have the older v1 it can even be rockboxed.

BTW, for reference I don’t own a fuze but would love to have one. I have the older e200 series and a few Clips among other players …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
What are you talking about o_O The fuze is one of the best Sansa’s made to date. People come here to post their issues hoping to get an answer to fix there product more than to praise it, I think you’re off base …
i'm just trying to come up with a rough theme of the issues here. as i see it, the problems are becoming more and more worrisome, for they imply that fuze itself is of low quality - either in physical or firmware terms.

i really need someone to encourage me to buy this fantastic mp3 player. i perceive it to be of high value for money. however, the issues presented here - frequent freezes, unrecognized player, etc, discourage me from buying this player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Why reinvent the wheel, that is the purpose of the Fuse forum and all the threads within that forum
i intend this thread to be of summary in nature. there's too much to read and some of them aren't really a major issue. i've read the review also but i still need personal inputs from different people, especially the ones pertaining to the issues they have encountered.

anyway, thanks for that reply walkgood

Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I had a V1 Fuze for a almost a year, and it was a very solid performer ( I didn't use it for video though). I only had to reset it a handful of times, and I sold it more from the boredom of having had it for a year, and wanting something new, than anything else.

Plus at the time, I had a Clip too, and I preferred the form factor of the Clip. Now I have the best of both worlds....the Clip+....form factor of the Clip, folder browsing, ReplayGain and card slot of the Fuze... a win-win.(although the Fuze battery life is roughly twice that of the Clip+, assuming all power-saving settings are used).

Old 02-21-2010, 07:29 AM

wow, thanks for sharing your experience. i only have one question in mind, when had you got the need to reset your player?

btw, i had clip+ but its screen got broke when i placed it inside my pocket. argh. i had no problems with it except that the battery seemed to run for only 4-5 hours

the features of clip+ are what i really need. the only reason i consider fuze is its longer battery life. still, the expected issues are yet to be read

Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
as i see it, the problems are becoming more and more worrisome, for they imply that fuze itself is of low quality - either in physical or firmware terms.
I have two Fuzes, and I have never had any problems with them. I have only used them for music and podcasts.
Quote:
i perceive it to be of high value for money.
SanDisk might be the leader in inexpensive MP3 players.
Quote:
however, the issues presented here - frequent freezes, unrecognized player, etc, discourage me from buying this player.
Whenever anyone has problems, they post their questions on these and similar forums. There will be problems with any vendor you care to name—e.g., Apple, SanDisk, Sony, Samsung, Cowon, Archos, Microsoft, Creative, etc. Do not take my word for it. Please look it up.
Quote:
there's too much to read and some of them aren't really a major issue.
For an inexpensive MP3 player, there are no major issues with the Fuze. Would I recommend it to someone who wants to watch a lot of videos and needs a good equalizer? Probably not.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
i'm just trying to come up with a rough theme of the issues here. as i see it, the problems are becoming more and more worrisome, for they imply that fuze itself is of low quality - either in physical or firmware terms.
I guess your idea is good in your mind but not realistic for a forum of this size. Take a look at the whole site and the logic behind the forums, for example: SanDisk Sansa forum has all their players, then if you go into Sansa Fuze Sub-Forum you find everything you need for the Fuze player. There’s teardown, review, FAQ and all the individual threads. Sure some are about issues and some are about the good, but your statement "they imply that fuze itself is of low quality," is far from the truth, it's a very good player, as a lot of the issues mentioned are brought about by the users (user errors). I can see how you may be concerned and or worried, but the fact is that the majority of people who come here come because of a problem they’re having. They find a fix and move on, many don’t even bother coming back to say it’s fixed. I hope you can understand that a thread listing nothing but issues is ridiculous for a great player like the Fuze or any other major player listed on abi. Although sometimes you’ll find “wish list or improvement” threads that occasionally get viewed by the manufactures for firmware improvements, like they added file/folder browsing and other features …

Quote:
… i really need someone to encourage me to buy this fantastic mp3 player. i perceive it to be of high value for money. however, the issues presented here - frequent freezes, unrecognized player, etc, discourage me from buying this player.
I would be more than happy with a Fuze and almost a week doesn’t pass where I look at the refurbs available as I’d love to get an older Fuze myself, just hard to justify when you already have an e260 and 4 clips in the house among other players

Quote:
i intend this thread to be of summary in nature. there's too much to read and some of them aren't really a major issue. i've read the review also but i still need personal inputs from different people, especially the ones pertaining to the issues they have encountered.

anyway, thanks for that reply walkgood
All the reading is good information and IMHO the layout is very intuitive … Keep in mind that we’re not talking about the most expensive mp3 player on the market. For a very affordable player the Fuze is great; it has a very acceptable battery life, very good sound quality, some nice mod’s available (like LOD), so I have no problems recommending this player, although it’s not so good for video, but think of it like a bonus feature. Hope this helps and good luck in your selection …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM

i really want to thank you walkgood and enigmatic for answering. really appreciated your inputs

now, i just have to carefully choose the mp3 player i'm going to buy. one thing's sure: sansa fuze is a must consider model. others are sony s639f, sansa clip+ (had this one already but the screen got broken. currently considering to get another one ), cowon iAudio 9 and cowon d2+. yeah, the budget's pretty flexible but i'm sticking with my real purpose of mainly using the player for listening to audiobooks.

again, thank you to everyone who answered. have a good day!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally, I believe that there is nothing major wrong with the Clip, Clip+, or Fuze (and yes I own all three) My Fuze is over a year old (Boxing Day 2008), and as far as I'm concerned just as good today as it was then. Because of the number of similar players that I own (2 Clips, 1 Clip+, 1 Fuze), the Fuze hasn't been used as much as it might have been. My first Clip (bought Nov 2007) is used the most and like the Fuze no problems. My second Clip (Aug 2009) is playing thru my stereo right now.

Your initial posts implied that there are numerous problems with the Fuze. Since nobody here has contributed any, perhaps you could point us to some of them.

And yes the media converter is a nuisance, but it works fine for me after a bit of fiddling. But I just put short clips on it (like my granddaughter). I don't think the Fuze is big enough to be considered as a true video player. I haven't tried video4fuze but it might be the solution to that.

Steve

Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Your initial posts implied that there are numerous problems with the Fuze. Since nobody here has contributed any, perhaps you could point us to some of them.
as i said, i only came up with a rough theme of the issues presented here i just fast read the threads and from this, i got an impression that fuze is a headache. for instance, one thread here (sorry, i can't find the specific link ) presented a problem and about half of the replies say that the same issue has been experienced also. as far as i remember, the threadstarter says that his fuze just went dead without any apparent reason, which makes me think - despite the value for money it provides, is the fuze still worth my consideration?

but honestly, after reading the posts here for the second time, i've realized that fuze isn't really the player i used to have bad thoughts about. so i really want to thank you guys for helping me to realize this

just to share, i'm currently having a difficulty in choosing between fuze and clip+. the only reason i'm considering the former is its longer battery life. i usually play 320 kbps mp3 files and based on my experience in using my now broken clip+, i only got a total of 4-5 hours play time, way below the rated 15 hours . should i also expect a big difference in real and rated play hours when using fuze?

anyway, thanks freeZ25 for your reply!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
i usually play 320 kbps mp3 files and based on my experience in using my now broken clip+, i only got a total of 4-5 hours play time, way below the rated 15 hours . should i also expect a big difference in real and rated play hours when using fuze?
Yes. The higher the bit rate for MP3 files, the less hours of play time for the battery. SanDisk rates the Fuze for twenty-four hours only if one uses 128-kbps MP3s. To get the maximum time, set the brightness of the screen to minimum and set the backlight to turn off after five seconds of not using the controls. You may want to rip at –V3: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....uiet_listening.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:34 AM

thanks enigmatic. it never dawned on me to lower the screen brightness :|

OT:
is it still possible to replace the broken OLED screen of my clip+? i'm really wondering if i can still use it. or would you recommend it to be disassembled and then sell the battery for those who are looking for it? btw, everything's still in good condition, except that the screen is really broken, has cracks on it :P

Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Yeah, my fuze only broke because I broke it.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 AM

I bought my Fuze the day it was released and had zero problems with it though I slightly damaged the screen when something fell on it.

I also have a first generation Sansa E250 that is still going strong. Best bang for the buck imo.