android
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Help: error in folders

Hi, I bought a Cowon S9 for my wife a few months ago. I have updated the firmware to version 2.51.
Since she doesn't care about tagging her music, she is used to access it from the Folders view.
She has been complaining that some folders do not appear so I had a look.

I realized that on the player there is a folder inside Music called S9 which takes me back to the root directory. The weird thing is that is does not appear on the computer when I connect the player to the USB.
After some testing I realized that the last folder that you see when it's connected to the USB does not show on the player's interface. Even worse, every song that is in a directory after this ghost S9 directory is mapped to another song.

Has anyone experience anything similar? Any idea how to solve it?

Oh, and I remembered another problem. Yesterday she was listening to some music and the player completely froze. We could not even switch it off. She told me that's not the first time that happens. We had to wait until the battery discharged completely to use it again. I found that someway she had copied a .exe into the folder with music she was listening too.
I understand that she is not supposed to do that. But the player could have given some error message, or just ignored that file. Completely freezing is not an option.

Anyway, I want to make clear that in general I am happy with the player. Better put up with some small problems than being locked up by a company.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Redneck Moderator

Did you try the reset button when it was freezing? If I was you I would format the entire thing and start over. Put new firmware, and be sure to use MSC mode to add your music and then see how it acts after that.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamalet View Post
Hi, I bought a Cowon S9 for my wife a few months ago. I have updated the firmware to version 2.51.
Since she doesn't care about tagging her music, she is used to access it from the Folders view.
She has been complaining that some folders do not appear so I had a look.

I realized that on the player there is a folder inside Music called S9 which takes me back to the root directory. The weird thing is that is does not appear on the computer when I connect the player to the USB.
After some testing I realized that the last folder that you see when it's connected to the USB does not show on the player's interface. Even worse, every song that is in a directory after this ghost S9 directory is mapped to another song.

Format the s9 (make sure everything is backed up) then go to settings, system, and change the usb mode to msc. Reload tunes.

Has anyone experience anything similar? Yes. Any idea how to solve it?

Oh, and I remembered another problem. Yesterday she was listening to some music and the player completely froze. We could not even switch it off. She told me that's not the first time that happens. We had to wait until the battery discharged completely to use it again. I found that someway she had copied a .exe into the folder with music she was listening too.
I understand that she is not supposed to do that. But the player could have given some error message, or just ignored that file. Completely freezing is not an option.

That's why there's a reset button. Next time, try pushing a paper clip into the hole on the back. Don't stab the mic.

Anyway, I want to make clear that in general I am happy with the player. Better put up with some small problems than being locked up by a company.
Welcome to ABI!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM

You knpw it's a good idea when 2 ABI members post the same thing at the same time.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the quick answer!!
About formatting it, I read that some people got into trouble by doing that. They said the player would not start after that.

Can I just format it and the copy the firmware files?
What's the file system, FAT32?
After installing the firmware will the folder structure be reconstructed or do I have to do it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Did you try the reset button when it was freezing? If I was you I would format the entire thing and start over. Put new firmware, and be sure to use MSC mode to add your music and then see how it acts after that.
Thanks for your answer.

I knew there had to be a reset button, I just couldn't find it yesterday night!!

I was also thinking about formatting it, but before I want to be sure that I won't screw it. I have some doubts about it, see my previous post.

Oh, and I already have the player in MSC mode.

Last edited by tamalet; 02-22-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Redneck Moderator

Yes its FAT32. You will format, then put the firmware on, and boot the player up, it will go through its setup and all that. Then make sure its on MSC mode, and plug it in then start putting your files onto it.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 AM

Done. It's working great now.

Thanks a lot.