android
Old 01-25-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I'm still trying to understand when it turns off and when it stays in standby mode. Sometimes, when I turn it on, it shows "SAMSUNG" for some time, then goes to the "R1" screen for a few more seconds and then lands you in home page. Another times, when I turn it on, it goes right into the "R1" screen and, almost immediately to home page. It looks as if, in the first case, the R1 is really OFF while in the second it's been in standby instead. At first, I thought that, when you turned the R1 off, it stayed in standby for some time and then went to OFF, but no, it's happened to me that after being turned off for many hours it woke up rapidly, as if in standby.
Yes, that's what i meant: fully off when it takes a long time to boot up, standby when it goes right into the player name (r0 in my case ).
On my old Z5 it went like this: The player stayed in standby until it was untouched for 24 hours then it went completely off.
I haven't done any measurements but it seemed to me that the battery drained too fast too so the "erratic" standby/off behaviour might be another bug.

Quote:
I'm also wondering whether there's any relation between these OFF vs Standby modes and the amount of battery it uses while supposedly off. On one accasion, it went from 100% to 4% in 24 hours while off. This weekend, in 48 hours, it's gone from 100% to 96% battery. I can't remember about the other time, but this time, it's done the whole startup routine with "SAMSUNG" screen.
And yes to the battery consumption rate too: The reason the player goes from standby to completely off after being a long time without being used is because in standby spends more energy. So the time when it used very little battery in two days the player was completely off and when you noticed the battery draining very fast the player was probably just in standby.

Because of everything we've talked so far, at this point I really believe the r0 and r1 are using the same software (firmware) since they share many behaviours and bugs .
I hope a new firmware corrects the bugs in both players.

greets.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Ro losing preset radio

I have the same issue with the RO. Great little player BTW with the exception of that irritating bug. Surely by now it is a known problem (including, I see, the R1 !!) and Samsung are working on a fix?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Samsung Moderator

The R&D did not find this bug because my contact simplified the issue while translating into english and because the R&D guy tested it in firmware 2.00 on the R1

So I gave further details directly in english. Hope the R&D will find the problem this time. Maybe it won't be fixed in the next firmware (normaly a firmware fixing the iTunes AAC support will be released soon) but in the next one it should be fixed

Old 02-02-2010, 02:15 PM

@Lebellium Many thanks for helping with this!!!
@ad959 As I said in previous posts, if you turn off the player while NOT listening to the radio the presets are preserved. You can use this until the problem is fixed.
Offtopic: The r0 seems to have vanished completely from the stores around where I live (Valencia, Spain) I wonder why. Last weekend I went to a popular electronics store and there were loads of samsung players (Q2's¿still?,CP3 and R1's) but no R0's

Old 02-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Samsung Moderator

Okay guys, I have a good news.
The preset memory issue will be fixed on the new firmware for R0 and R1 released in some days.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Thaaank you so much!!!
It's great to know people who know the important people lol .
Now the r0 is perfect :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
The preset memory issue will be fixed on the new firmware for R0 and R1 released in some days.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Great, I was actually going to make a post about this. I have the R0 and was driving me nuts how each time it losses the presets...
WHen they do realease the firmware how do you install it without the Samsung software

Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Angry

Quote:
Good to hear this news, but actually I have to disagree with iampiti as this player (and R1 too) is far from perfection until it will do "gapless playback"... actually it DOES NOT!

Because of that reason (and the fact that my mail of explaining with tech reasons what this player does not has been ignored by the IT competence center, mailing me an automatic mail telling me to call the competence center ???!!!) I gave it back to the store where I bought it... I would be glad to reconsider to buy it (and to promote it to the people I know) when the firmware update will do it correctly (I mean without microgaps too, that usually are mistaken as gapless playback but it is not)...

Loving live performances or album suites (like Pink Floyd's The Wall or The Dark Side of the Moon, etc) I consider this feature very important and I can't believe that actually a samsung player has a very long gap between tracks, especially FLACs...

Also I (and I think many people) would like to read a more detailed list of features/changes released in the firmware updates.. reading something like "Fix the playback error for some files" isn't that clear...

Best Regards
G.

Last edited by gagliem; 02-10-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 PM

@Gagliem You're right. Maybe I was a bit overenthusiastic when I said it was perfect. I should've said it's what I was looking for. About the gapless thing...It'd be nice to have.I don't know if many players do it. I believed it would require 2 decoders to do it right but maybe I'm mistaken.
@savagess: Just unzip the firmware and drop it on the root folder using the player in MSC/standard USB mode. The player will detect it and upgrade automatically.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
@Gagliem You're right. Maybe I was a bit overenthusiastic when I said it was perfect. I should've said it's what I was looking for. About the gapless thing...It'd be nice to have.I don't know if many players do it. I believed it would require 2 decoders to do it right but maybe I'm mistaken.
Hi Iampiti!
I read many threads and Cowon S9 does well gapless playback (mp3, flac, wav, wma, ogg etc.) without any external software, just a firmware update starting from 2.31, some others do it using RockBox, some others do it only with WAV or ATRAC....

That's the reason why I took back the R0 to the store, if samsung wouldn't think about gapless correction, I have the chance to think about buying another player... I would like gapless playback especially for flac/mp3/wav...

my way of thinking is that if I have to spend my money for a gadget, it MUST do the things I wish, I'm not used to buy something and then have to pray, hope or wait for someone to fix the things I dislike... simple, don't you think so?

Cheers

Last edited by gagliem; 02-11-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Samsung Moderator

Well if you guess paying 100€/$100 more only for gapless is worth it (R0>S9) that is your choice.

Most mp3 players today are not gapless 'cause not enough people are expecting this feature (do remember ABI forum is not representative of most consumers)
The only gapless player in Samsung history is the Z5.
Now the S9 is also gapless thanks to an update but that's it...

Ah and Rockbox provides gapless too

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Well if you guess paying 100€/$100 more only for gapless is good (R0>S9) that is your choice.

Most mp3 players today are not gapless 'cause not enough people are expecting this feature (do remember ABI forum is not representative of most consumers)
The only gapless player in Samsung history is the Z5.
Now the S9 is also gapless thanks to an update but that's it...

Ah and Rockbox provides gapless too
I also mentioned Rockbox and I can tell you I'm not the only one who likes to hear Pink Floyd's suites or other albums which needs gapless playback to be listend to at their best.

Obviusly I know that the majority of people don't think about it, but I wasn't talking about features which make a player pupular, I was talking about features making the difference between an average/good player and a good/excellent player.. plan and simple..

Having been a musician who played live, then moving behind the mixer did/still doing remastering, fixing etc. I think you could imagine the priority I could give to a "correct" music reproduction... and maybe is not certainly the money who could discourage me from buying a player which does correctly what I want if you ask me...

I didn't mean to offend, I'm only saying that the Samsung R0 could be an excellent player having that feature, that's it... you gave me the impression you took it too personally, while I did simply my considerations and I simply answered to the questions someone asked me..

With that feature correctly implemented I'll be the first running to the store and buy the R0 (or the R1), then promote it to the people who like this feature just like me (I said I'm not the only one) ...

... c'mon, actually I'm still waiting for an excellent player to buy... wouldn't Samsung be one of'em ???

Best Regards
G.

PS:
unfortunately I read Z5 doesn't play FLACs am I right?

Last edited by gagliem; 02-11-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Samsung Moderator

I have been asking the Korean R&D for implementing gapless feature for a long time now (and just for people like you, I don't really miss it personaly), they told me that could be interesting etc etc and finally they never do it. I harassed them many times. That worked for the R1 battery life (improved in fw 3.00) but doesn't work for gapless.
I don't know if there is a specific difficulty to implement this feature or if they are only too lazy

Don't worry I did not take it personaly, I just guess this sentence
"but actually I have to disagree with iampiti as this player (and R1 too) is far from perfection until it will do "gapless playback"... actually it DOES NOT!" is exagerated.
A player cannot be FAR from perfection just because of this missing gapless feature

No the Z5 is an old model now (2006), at the time Samsung players did not support FLAC

Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I have been asking the Korean R&D for implementing gapless feature for a long time now ...
I don't know if there is a specific difficulty to implement this feature or if they are only too lazy
mmmh... maybe the second one ?

Quote:
Don't worry I did not take it personaly, I just guess this sentence
"but actually I have to disagree with iampiti as this player (and R1 too) is far from perfection until it will do "gapless playback"... actually it DOES NOT!" is exagerated.
A player cannot be FAR from perfection just because of this missing gapless feature
Ah Ah Ah! You're right, I didn't noticed it, I admit it sounded too heavy!!
I surely had something less apocalyptic in mind, it slipped thru the keyboard!!

Cheeeeers
G.

PS:
Thanks for all your infos lebellium!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Samsung Moderator

New fw for R1
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...008#post442008

I hope the new firmware for R0 is following, on monday maybe?

Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
New fw for R1
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...008#post442008

I hope the new firmware for R0 is following, on monday maybe?

That's a good news.
Followd the thread for a while, let's see if there are improvements, i really love my R0 and yeah, gapless playback would be a great plus!

Thanks lebellium for keepin in touch with us!

Old 02-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Samsung Moderator

Improvement on the R0 will also be the radio presets issue fixed. But the new firmware won't bring gapless feature. (Maybe they will add this feature in 2011 for the 5th anniversary of the Z5? )

As you probably don't know, I like to read all worldwide Samsung forums so I also read your discussions on http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showth...2078457&page=8
(But I have to say the google translation into French sucks lol)

Last edited by lebellium; 02-14-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Hopefully R0 fw comes out soon

Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 PM

lebellium, any news from Samsung with an update for the YP-R0 issue?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Samsung Moderator

No unfortunately.
I guess they prepare a quite big release fixing several bugs and why not adding the UCI compatibility rather than release several firmwares. That may be the reason it's so long