android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-01-2010, 04:22 PM

Default ZuneConsole - put your own bio and artist pics on your Zune HD!

Tired of certain artist pictures and bio's not showing up on your Zune HD?
Then welcome to ZuneConsole!! A program developed by Christoph680 that allows you to enter your own bio and pictures for any artist.

Quote:
Please note that this is a tech preview (e.g. alpha version). You should use this app for testing purposes only,
Don't edit serious information yet (or backup your stuff if something goes wrong).
There's a lot of bugs right now, so please post anything you find in the Issue tracker on Codeplex.
I am not responsible for any damage to your system (shouldn't happen either way xD)
Home Page
ZuneConsole Tutorial

haven't tried this myself since i don't have a ZHD but let us know what you think!

Last edited by Machiventa; 02-25-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks, this sounds like an awesome idea. I mainly use my desktop for my music collection, so I'll give it a shot on my netbook just in case it screws anything up. I'll let you know how well it works.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM

I tried it out and couldn't get it to change anything in the Zune software on my netbook or desktop. I checked out the Codeplex site the build is hosted at and it seems there were a few others who had issues getting it to function. I'm not sure if maybe only certain setups are the issue, so if anyone else has tried it and got it to function successfully, please let me know. I tried it on Windows 7 RC 32-bit and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with both being forced to run as the Administrator just in case the program's proxy was being blocked by the OS.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 PM

I figured everyone would be all over this since I've seen so many people complain about no bio, pic, wrong pic/bio. Oh well.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 PM

Maybe when it comes out of alpha I'll give it a shot. In the meantime I'm hoping it will just be baked into the Zune properly - perhaps as soon as the next firmware update.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
I figured everyone would be all over this since I've seen so many people complain about no bio, pic, wrong pic/bio. Oh well.
I immediately jumped at the chance to try it out since I've been begging for this feature since release, but couldn't get results. It's supposed to also replace information within the Zune software itself, not just the HD. Have you tried it with the Zune software to see if it changes any of the information? Hopefully I was just doing something wrong.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Zune Moderator

I'll have to check this out. Had not seen it until now.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Okay I had a chance to try it out on the desktop software with no luck.

Anyone have any luck?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Okay I had a chance to try it out on the desktop software with no luck.

Anyone have any luck?
Nope. I tried again and it still didn't make any changes. I even unplugged my ethernet cable from my PC so the real Zune service wouldn't interfere and cleared out my cache and it still did nothing. Maybe because the guy is from Germany, there's something different somewhere on his side software-wise?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 AM

Got my Zune today and I'm going to try this out. What would the ideal image size be?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Zune Moderator

I couldn't get it to work, but maybe I just am not using it right.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
I couldn't get it to work, but maybe I just am not using it right.
Maybe the problem is in the alpha version itself. I also can't make it working

Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Zune Moderator

Maybe we just don't understand how it's supposed to be used

Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
Maybe we just don't understand how it's supposed to be used
This program act as a proxy server. While running, it set Internet Explorer proxy server to 127.0.0.1 (localhost). Zune Software share the proxy info with IE, and thus whenever it contact Zune Marketplace server to obtain artist info, picture..., if the artist ID match the one with custom info we set in Zune Custom, it will intercept and send back the custom info to Zune Software. In theory, it should work like that, but in reality, it does nothing

Old 02-11-2010, 07:45 PM

That's a shame. I really need something like this because I make my own music / mixes and hate when it pulls someone elses background!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 PM

It could be good to customize it yourself. I listen to a lot of metal bands that show no images/bio/related. Well true some of the bands I listen to are not worldwide knows as some pop bands, but if I can have it for my own device, it is good.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Hey there!
I'm Christoph680 aka Philipp aka the developer of Zune Customs.
I'm just as eager to get this program working as you are

So what I'm looking for is a bit more detailed descriptions other than "it doesn't run/work".

Are there any error messages popping up? If so, please post them.
If none are popping up, maybe one of you guys would like to help me out with debugging the app. No programming experience needed, I'll guide you through it.

If someone's interested, just contact me via PM here or on Zuneboards

Greets,
Philipp

Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 PM

I'd be happy to help out if I can, I'm not getting any error messages I just don't get the image appearing on my player (or in the software if it's supposed to). I can add the image once the artist is selected....

Last edited by Aquamonkey; 02-12-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the screenshot! Helped a lot indeed ^^
First of all, you need to start the proxy. To do so, simply click on "Proxy stopped" on the bottom left of the Window.

Another thing I noticed (though it's actually my fault that it works so shitty ^^) is that currently (! gonna fix that ASAP) Zune Customs is case-sensitive, which means the ZC Entry "bear mccreary" won't be displayed for the Zune Software entry "Bear McCreary".

Also please be aware that you currently can only add artists to ZC that Zune knows of. I'm in the process of adding the functionality that let's you add artists Zune doesn't know of as well, though it doesn't work yet.

The simplest way to find out if Zune knows about the artist is to right-click the artist in your collection and check if there's an "Find more info about this artist..." option available. Another way would be to check if the Artist UUID is marked as "official" inside ZC. If it's not, it won't work yet.

Also, you need to hit "Save" when you add a new image for ZC to recognize the change.

I hope that cleared some things up for y'all

Greets,
Philipp

Last edited by Christoph680; 02-13-2010 at 06:59 AM.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Hmmm I a bit more confused now! I'll clarify previous actions, the proxy is by default on I just changed as a "let's see if this fixes it" same with the caps on the artist.

As for what to do, after selecting the image to use which of the three options on the Image Type dropdown should be used. Once set do you select Save and then Generate?

Also bear mccreary is recognised by Zune i.e. a bio is downloaded but there are no pictures for the artist.

Last edited by Aquamonkey; 02-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Tags
artist, zune customizer