android
  #1  
Old 02-07-2010, 02:26 PM
steinburger1109's Avatar
steinburger1109 steinburger1109 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 2,456
Default Free XviD to H.264 converter?

The title kind of says it all. I'm looking for a safe, free program to convert my XviD files to H.264 or WMV so I can use them on my ZuneHD. Any help?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 02-07-2010, 02:44 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
The title kind of says it all. I'm looking for a safe, free program to convert my XviD files to H.264 or WMV so I can use them on my ZuneHD. Any help?
Doesn't the Zune software automatically do this (now that it recognizes Xvid, DivX, and AVI files) when transferring to the device?
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Use Prism Video Converter, it's great software: http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 02-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Machiventa's Avatar
Machiventa Machiventa is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Doesn't the Zune software automatically do this (now that it recognizes Xvid, DivX, and AVI files) when transferring to the device?
I haven't tried it myself but yeah apparently it does but I guess it's very slow and reduces the quality.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
j4r3du j4r3du is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 77
Default

Handbrake. I would imagine most users here would agree with me on this.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Briankealing's Avatar
Briankealing Briankealing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Use Prism Video Converter, it's great software: http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html
DO NOT USE
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/d...d81-1264402491
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

That result doesn't mean anything. It's just heuristics from three shitty scanners like McAfee. The app is definitely clean.

Either way, there are free-er apps out there, like the aforementioned Handbrake or Badak.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 02-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Xiamhighx Xiamhighx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 157
Default

Another vouch for HandBrake..pretty easy to use and doesn't reduce quality.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
steinburger1109's Avatar
steinburger1109 steinburger1109 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 2,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Doesn't the Zune software automatically do this (now that it recognizes Xvid, DivX, and AVI files) when transferring to the device?
The Zune software doesn't let me add the video (.avi) to my collection. Do I need to download the software again to get the codec updates, or manually update it? (To tell you the truth, I forgot about the new native XviD support)

EDIT:
I uninstalled the Zune software and downloaded a fresh version from the web site. It now accepts XviD videos into my collection, and syncs it to my ZuneHD. The conversion during the sync takes FOREVER, but it works. BEWARE If you uninstall and reinstall the software from the website, you will lose all settings and music in your collection.

Last edited by steinburger1109; 02-08-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
The Zune software doesn't let me add the video (.avi) to my collection. Do I need to download the software again to get the codec updates, or manually update it? (To tell you the truth, I forgot about the new native XviD support)

EDIT:
I uninstalled the Zune software and downloaded a fresh version from the web site. It now accepts XviD videos into my collection, and syncs it to my ZuneHD. The conversion during the sync takes FOREVER, but it works. BEWARE If you uninstall and reinstall the software from the website, you will lose all settings and music in your collection.
You can bypass that by backing up your zune profile file.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.