android
Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Impressions or thoughts on the 3Move

Im really thinking Im about to pick up the 3Move. Id rather give Jan my money over a Chinese built amp (nothing against the Chinese). Im trying to eliminate hiss from my 530's and also would like a decent dac for my laptop so I can use my MS2i and ATH M50. I just sold my Penguin Caffeine Ultra yesterday.

I will buy another nice tube amp in the future but for now the MS2i are not driven anywhere near good enough with my laptop or even my S9. So is the 3Move a clean sounding amp and how is the DAC quality. Especially compared to the D4 and D10 which are the others I am considering.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My Headsix is the amp with the quietest background I've heard. It's the only one that works well with UE11, SE530, and similar ridiculous-specs phones. I assume the 3Move will be no different since its build is quite similar. Everything else I heard did not work with efficient IEMs (iBasso, FiiO, Minibox, PA2V2, etc).

As for the USB sound card part, it's an older Texas Instruments DAC chip, it should be quite ok.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I donít know if any of the added features along with the opamp rolling or dual DAC Chip (D4) is important to you? Although they might make a difference to some, IMHO itís better to get a portable amp that doesnít add any unwanted hiss or background noise and with that I couldnít really say about the ibasso line. I have heard some state they do and others say they donít, so I'd go with dfkt's opinion on the ibasso.

I seriously looked at the 3move when I was shopping for a portable amp, I really liked what I saw and enjoyed listening to full size headphones over the 3move with a laptop source. Beyond sound quality, performance, build quality and size were the top 4 most important factors for me. For example the 3move VS the D10 - the charge switch, coaxial connection and optical connection protruding out the back side of the D10 just doesnít help for carrying it around compared to the clean look of the 3move. If I had not selected the Pico, the 3move would have easily been my choice.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you chose and how you like it. BTW, Donít know how long you are willing to wait, but I recently read a rumor that Jan was going to introduce a new amp soon, might be worth the wait.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 PM

Too late on waiting for Jan to introduce a new amp. I pulled the trigger on the 3Move as one showed up on head-fi for sale. The best part was the guy I bought it from was about 10 miles from me. So amazingly enough I got a perfect looking 3Move with an ac adapter included in my possession already. He said it only had about 20hrs on it so I think paying $200 wasn't such a bad deal for me. Im sure I can resell if I don't like it but so far it is very clean sounding. Not sure Im impressed with what is does for the Grados though but its like Magic with the SE530. I can place the instruments location better, the imaging in improved with it. But the best part is almost no hiss at all. I need to spend alot more time before I can say too much as I dont want to contradict myself later as my opinions might change. Its a heavy little beast though, solidly built for sure. Tiny footprint but pretty thick. Looks great with the D2 on top, a little odd with the S9. None of that matters though since it will spend most of its time on my desk at work (although I will carry it at times).

Still looking for a full size tube amp for the home desk but with the new Grado and the new amp Im pretty broke but my birthday spending spree has gone well. Thanks to all for the help, Ive been asking alot of questions lately with alot of indecision.

Ethan/pseudohippy

Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats, enjoy and let us hear more once you get a better feeling for her

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc